Starpery.com

Hand replacement or repair

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
xsupjayx

Re: Hand replacement or repair

Post by xsupjayx »

theres this kit i just ordered from mf creations
https://mfcreations3d.blogspot.com/2020 ... lpteo.html

uses 3d printed parts and parts from the hardware store

Synthian
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Synthian »

xsupjayx wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:46 pm theres this kit i just ordered from mf creations

I used mfcreations to convert Evie's hands to articulated from (broken) wire. Same surgery as you have already done but articulated fingers are so better. Wish I had it sooner as the wires poked through in almost every finger and nearly separated one at the base.

Something to consider for next time. I have to do mine again after a year, one of the interior wires broke. Best!
Whether it be Human or Synthetic, love is love.

Evelyn's videos
viewtopic.php?t=168857

Rotgut_the_bloated

Post by Rotgut_the_bloated »

Unfortunately, i replaced all her fingers and glued into old metal tube, the new wires were thicker copper and surrounded by rubber, and they all broke down by now. They lasted from couple of days to 2-3 weeks. They all snapped in same spot as traditional copper wires, right at the edge of metal arm where they twist the most and its highest pressure. I barely used them. Kept them in straight position and was careful with it. But couple of twists and snap.

Right now my lady's hands are falling down and sometimes metal skeleton pokes out so i try not to have hands upwards, and are careful to not stab myself with her arms. But its alright. I accepted this fate and will replace her body in 1-2 years. I put her arms around my neck just the hands are flimsy and they hang loose to the side. But next time im getting a metal fingers from the start.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Synthian wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:20 am
xsupjayx wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:46 pm theres this kit i just ordered from mf creations

I used mfcreations to convert Evie's hands to articulated from (broken) wire. Same surgery as you have already done but articulated fingers are so better. Wish I had it sooner as the wires poked through in almost every finger and nearly separated one at the base.

Something to consider for next time. I have to do mine again after a year, one of the interior wires broke. Best!
Thanks for the mention guys.
FYI, the kit I designed only works for dolls that have the clevis & wrist bolt design like pictured below. It appears from the OP's photo that his is the wire wrist type of connection, which would mean you'd need to install a clevis first, which has been discussed here. Not sure if anyone has ever done that yet though.

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

For the neck repair, I used the wire from 3 old skool wire coat hangers. Had to drill a hole in the top boss, big enough to get the wires in. Not easy but ok if you go steady. The wires are galvanised steel about 0.1" dia. Bit of a job to bend them, but better than a floppy neck.
Tyr.
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

whiterose
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by whiterose »

I can't review all the photos and text right now but: I took q-tips and dusted them with baby powder and used them for "finger bones". Easy to do and won't hurt the doll

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Brilliant :thumbs_up:

xsupjayx

Post by xsupjayx »

MannequinFan wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:30 am
Synthian wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:20 am

Thanks for the mention guys.
FYI, the kit I designed only works for dolls that have the clevis & wrist bolt design like pictured below. It appears from the OP's photo that his is the wire wrist type of connection, which would mean you'd need to install a clevis first, which has been discussed here. Not sure if anyone has ever done that yet though.

i recieved my kit. i dont think this doll has the correct hand to be replaced with this hand kit. Maybe JB weld?

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

xsupjayx wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:55 pm i recieved my kit. i dont think this doll has the correct hand to be replaced with this hand kit. Maybe JB weld?
Yes, I discussed with Dollyman in that thread about using epoxy to attach a threaded rod into the arm tube. I'm not sure if he ever went through with the idea.

asian-update-kimber-doll-skeleton-with-skull-emqzK3.jpg
asian-update-kimber-doll-skeleton-with-skull-emqzK3.jpg (119.04 KiB) Viewed 191 times

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

When I replaced Ami's hands, I bonded these into the ends with JB weld. They're wood inserts that are supposed to screw into holes in the wood. They come in various sizes. Maybe they will help.
IMG_20230123_110518.jpg
IMG_20230123_110518.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 176 times
IMG_20230123_102257.jpg
IMG_20230123_102257.jpg (2.56 MiB) Viewed 176 times
Tyr.
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Tyr wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:30 am When I replaced Ami's hands, I bonded these into the ends with JB weld. They're wood inserts that are supposed to screw into holes in the wood. They come in various sizes.
Hey Tyr, thanks!
For the clevis that I posted they would need to be for a 1/4" threaded rod. Looks like McMaster Carr has some...
https://www.mcmaster.com/92105A022

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Looks perfect, provided that they fit the tube. The external thread makes a perfect anchor for the adhesive.

INFORMATIONS