Starpery.com

Proper soldering tip temperature for melting TPE

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
MaSk

Proper soldering tip temperature for melting TPE

Post by MaSk »

Hi guys,

Quick question regarding soldering and melting TPE. When I am using a combo of heat gun (125 C) + soldering iron (200 C), I often experience the TPE does not mold like on e.g. Mishka’s videos. It is more like being cut than melted when touched with soldering tip. As I am using temperature meter for the heating phase, I assume the issue is in temperature of soldering iron. My digital machine is set to 200C, however, the question is, what the real temperature on the tip is …

I guess the temperature on soldering tip is either too low or too high … But as the fumes are dangerous and overheated TPE looses its attributes, I am rather looking for a professional advise than to experiment on my own. When I touch TPE with it, it is smoking lightly, but not melting, more like cutting like a scalpel, pieces of TPE sticks with it.

Anyone who experienced similar issue who is willing to help?

Thanks in advance for your hints! Martin

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Proper soldering tip temperature for melting TPE

Post by Wheezer »

Simple answer, your soldering iron is too hot. See the post HERE (viewtopic.php?p=2390907#p2390907)

Generally speaking most consumer soldering irons list an approximate temperature. That is fine for melting metal when you don't need precision. But if you are working with TPE you need to have a good idea of the actual tip temperature to avoid burning and TPE damage.

From what I have seen an air gun at 200c can be OK, since that airflow will cool once it leaves the handle and it is hitting a wide are to heat up the bulk TPE. A 200c soldering iron can sometimes be OK, if you are using the edge of the iron tube to lightly skim the TPE to knock down a seam line. But prolonged contact or incision work will burn or melt the TPE so quickly that you can not really do any decent work.

Find a soldering unit with a minimum temp of 100c or so and start lower and work your way up to what temp works for your blend of TPE.

Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

MaSk

Post by MaSk »

Great, thanks a lot for your reply.

until now, I assumed the temperature is too low, as the TPE did not melt on touch of the soldering tip. So it is a real eye opener to read the problem was exactly the opposite. Will try lower temperature then, around 100C+ :)

Many thanks! *M

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

A temperature about 100c might annoy the TPE, but not actually melt it. It all depends on your blend.

Start at 100c and place the tip against the TPE, nothing should happen.
Up the temp 10c and try again. Repeat the process slowly until the TPE liquefies like soft butter when you touch it.
Note the melt temperature. For your doll/soldering iron combination that is your TPE melt temperature.

Good luck.
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

INFORMATIONS