Starpery.com

The rot has spread, poor Ami.

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

The rot has spread, poor Ami.

Post by Tyr »

Ami was booked in for a spa day today. Unfortunately it turned into an emergency maintenance appointment!
As I was removing her stockings, her right toe almost fell off! The dreaded TPE rot has reached her feet. ☹️
So, out with the repair kit...
IMG_20230920_095203.jpg
IMG_20230920_095203.jpg (3.32 MiB) Viewed 649 times
IMG_20230920_095231.jpg
IMG_20230920_095231.jpg (4.34 MiB) Viewed 649 times
Her foot had 2 holes and a tear in the gap between her toes.
IMG_20230920_095356.jpg
IMG_20230920_095356.jpg (4.79 MiB) Viewed 649 times
Had to cut a chunk away and pull all of the snot out to prepare her.
IMG_20230920_103925.jpg
IMG_20230920_103925.jpg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 649 times
IMG_20230920_103959.jpg
IMG_20230920_103959.jpg (3.53 MiB) Viewed 649 times
Fortunately, it turned out to be a pretty easy repair, I just kept melting TPE into the hole until it was full.
So Ami did get her spa day after all.
IMG_20230920_115136.jpg
IMG_20230920_115136.jpg (4.14 MiB) Viewed 649 times
IMG_20230920_115144.jpg
IMG_20230920_115144.jpg (3.57 MiB) Viewed 649 times
IMG_20230920_115229.jpg
IMG_20230920_115229.jpg (4.29 MiB) Viewed 649 times
Tyr.
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

Hartmudt

Re: The rot has spread, poor Ami.

Post by Hartmudt »

Glad to see you were able to help her. I worked on Akeno for a whole weekend to save her. It's a good feeling.

And by the way, Ami is a sweetie 😉
Akeno & Rica - Eye candy! : viewtopic.php?p=2488189#p2488189
Emilie - Eye candy! : viewtopic.php?p=2528852#p2528852
Say hello to Lisa : viewtopic.php?p=2503927#p2503927

Reviews & unboxing:
An honest review - IROKEBIJIN 147cm - : viewtopic.php?t=172121

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Yeah when tpe degrades to that point all you can do is keep cutting it away untill you reach some good tpe. That's an impressive repair though! I've found that melting little bits of tpe into a wound is the best way to get a more lasting repair 😁

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Thanks Hartmudt, hope Akeno is ok.😊

Hi Arthur, I agree, I only do heat repairs, Ami doesn't like solvents, even mild ones. The only one she could tolerate was the Cold weld adhesive that Indigo20 used to make. It's like the elixir of life, 😊 I have a little bit left for use on tiny splits and tears. It's a shame, Ami seems to go all in when it comes to injuries, very rarely do we get a split. It's usually the rot or a ragged tear. Showing her age, I fear.
Tyr.
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Just realised it's her left foot! No wonder I keep getting lost!
D'oh!

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Tyr wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:58 am Thanks Hartmudt, hope Akeno is ok.😊

Hi Arthur, I agree, I only do heat repairs, Ami doesn't like solvents, even mild ones. The only one she could tolerate was the Cold weld adhesive that Indigo20 used to make. It's like the elixir of life, 😊 I have a little bit left for use on tiny splits and tears. It's a shame, Ami seems to go all in when it comes to injuries, very rarely do we get a split. It's usually the rot or a ragged tear. Showing her age, I fear.
Tyr.
If you haven't tried it yet then you may want to give 3M Primer 94 a go, I am constantly impressed with the repairs I can use it for where heat can be problematic. Take Dora's hand here, yesterday I noticed a deep split had formed in-between the thumb and the hand so I coated the surfaces of the crack with the primer then closed up the crack and kept it in place with some crepe bandage and this is the result. Basically it re-bonds the tpe but it's best left for several hours to cure, however it's much easier and kinder to use than the pure xylene tpe solvent. While I've tried melting tpe into such splits before it's fiddly around fingers and it's so easy to make things worse so, for me, the primer is a godsend! 😁
Attachments
Dora's hand after repair with 3M Primer 94
Dora's hand after repair with 3M Primer 94
IMG20230920161102.jpg (3.64 MiB) Viewed 551 times

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

Nice hand job.
Or should I say finger job. :)
Cheers!
... W ...
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Assume Tyr has tried the3M product but perhaps the sensitivity of the material Ami is made from didn't respond all that well
Suggest making a series of different viscosities (thickness) of pastes with 3M 94 Primer to reduce the strength of it to suit Ami's material :glou:

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

seagull wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:21 am Assume Tyr has tried the3M product but perhaps the sensitivity of the material Ami is made from didn't respond all that well
Suggest making a series of different viscosities (thickness) of pastes with 3M 94 Primer to reduce the strength of it to suit Ami's material :glou:
Yeah that's a good point seagull, I've always found that my best results with Primer have been bonding good tpe that's in no way over oily, then leaving it for several hours, preferably held together with some bandage. There's definitely an art to getting a good mix for a paste, too thin and it can be a bit aggressive and too thick and it doesn't bond so well but get it right it it does a great job! 😁

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Thanks for the comments guys. I've tried many variations of primer, mixed with fresh TPE but tested on pieces of TPE that have been removed from her body over the years. She melts. Sometimes it looks good,but come back later and it's melting. She is a very oily girl and that may very well be her problem. In the meantime, I have a solution that works and I'm comfortable with thankfully.
Cheers,
Tyr.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

With 3M 94, Sometimes you win, this 'aint one of them :(
At least Tyr has something that works :thumbs_up:

INFORMATIONS