DeeDee
PIB
Tamara

P.I.B. on T.V.

Love dolls built by Patrick a.k.a. Toonist.
Brotoi
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Re: P.I.B. on T.V.

Post by Brotoi »

I think ya'll have missed the most important aspect of the PIB appearance in this episode: it was treated as completely normal.

That is a remarkable cultural statement. No one in the episode, none of the cops, none of the co-workers, took any special notice of her. When the owner came home, he treated her like a real woman and there was nothing to hint that his relationship to the doll was somehow perverse or abnormal. Just a little weird, but neither delusional nor insane. This is actually a huge step up from "Lars and the Real Woman". The one "sex doll" remark by the main star is perfectly in keeping with his character. It is exactly what the audience would expect him to say.
I live in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me here.

B-Zilla Lives
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by B-Zilla Lives »

r4m wrote:
B-Zilla Lives wrote:UUUUUGGGGHHHH I dread having to watch this show to see the PIB. I don’t suppose anyone who’s already watched it could give me a few time-markers so I could just hop forward to those points? :| :| :|
She shows up after about 30 minutes. A few seconds with a skinny long-haired guy... wait a couple of minutes... and then a few more seconds with one of the main actors.

Cheers,
r4m
Thanks, R4M. :D
Bubbles' #1 Fan

kharn
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by kharn »

Wow! Big congratulations Patrick on getting one of your dolls on TV :D :thumbs_up: The show should be in the UK soon I hope :)
 Click to go to Coverdoll

cosycottage

Post by cosycottage »

kharn wrote:Wow! Big congratulations Patrick on getting one of your dolls on TV :D :thumbs_up: The show should be in the UK soon I hope :)
FYI UK transmissions for terrestrial channels tend to be 12-18 months behind the US... (shorter if it's premium/Sky etc....)

IIRC ITV2 has the rights to the series, so I'd expect a long wait! :(

However, it could be worse - Dexter was pulled into some obscure satellite channel from Season 3 onwards..... I've only just watched the brilliant Season 4 when it was released on DVD at the end of last year! :cry:

Great to see the doll used tho - even tho she only had a little screen time.
"Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it." Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Fuzzy78
Former Member

Post by Fuzzy78 »

cosy get a dl link ;)

RainLover
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RainLover »

FurballRZ wrote:cosy get a dl link ;)
Go back a page in the thread. I posted the dl link already.

For those who want to skip ahead, the PIB shows up 31 minutes into the 39 minute show, so you won't have to suffer too many minutes of the show to see the doll.

Frankly, I thought the doll looked like crap. I thought, "What? That's a PIB? No way." The eyes were bugged out, like they substituted different eyes for her; in the first scene, like someone else pointed out, one eye was crossed to make her look stupid; and the whole ambience was like something high school kids would do. I haven't seen that show since Season 1, and it's clearly gone down hill since then.

IMHO, the PIB dolls are the best on the market for realistic beauty, and this show did nothing to promote the PIB brand, although I can see the marketing wisdom in saying "As Seen On TV" anyway. That being said, I agree with the others who said that the doll was treated like it was No Big Deal for a guy to have one, and for that, I'm like, rock on! That's how it should be. :D :thumbs_up:

So yeah, kind of a mixed bag of emotions on this one, but all in all, a win for the doll hobby.
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." -- Liz Taylor
"Home, where my love lies waiting silently for me." -- hipsters Simon & Garfunkel, singing about doll ownership before it was cool.

r4m
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by r4m »

My hope is that it was the animatronics that distorted her face slightly, and not an intentional insult. Unless I missed something, Patrick does not normally offer robotic movement. :robot:

Cheers,
r4m
My dolls can be seen here - http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/index.php?cat=11496

Fuzzy78
Former Member

Post by Fuzzy78 »

r4m wrote:My hope is that it was the animatronics that distorted her face slightly, and not an intentional insult. Unless I missed something, Patrick does not normally offer robotic movement. :robot:

Cheers,
r4m
think it mostly has to do with poor lighting ect

toonist
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Post by toonist »

I gotta go with Rain lover on this one...
My contact guy from the show was great. But when I saw it ...it was sort of an "oh well"...
If it helps in the least bit to help dolls be accepted as a regular thing, then great.
We gave them a beautiful doll and she did not come off that way. Maybe they adjusted the eyes
that way so it would be clear to people that it was a doll.
I see it as a missed opportunity. Could have been really cool, but it fell far short of that.
Maybe they'll find a way to use her in another episode. Thanks folks for checking it out.
I'd rather have a happy customer than a doll on T.V. anyday.
You guys rock..
P

Obin
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Obin »

toonist wrote:I gotta go with Rain lover on this one...
My contact guy from the show was great. But when I saw it ...it was sort of an "oh well"...
If it helps in the least bit to help dolls be accepted as a regular thing, then great.
We gave them a beautiful doll and she did not come off that way. Maybe they adjusted the eyes
that way so it would be clear to people that it was a doll.
I see it as a missed opportunity. Could have been really cool, but it fell far short of that.
Maybe they'll find a way to use her in another episode. Thanks folks for checking it out.
I'd rather have a happy customer than a doll on T.V. anyday.
You guys rock..
P
Thank you, Patrick. I was really curious of what you thought.

INFORMATIONS