Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Perfume?

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

Glory

Post by Glory »

Inkling wrote: I think they ought to have something like I've been to: Wine Tasting. If they had Perfume Scenting, I could go and see what I'd like for Darlene

Anyone know if there are places where you can sniff a few diferent perfumes from a few manufactures?
I think just about any place that sells perfume will have tester bottles. As far as things like Avon if you get an enthusiastic sales person you could probably get enough of those little sample pack things to last years. A friend of my mom's sold it back when I was in my early teens, we ended up with a shoe box full of them.

Speaking of Avon I wonder if they still make Lahana, or however that was spelled. I last wore it/smelled it when I was about 12-13, gotta wonder what memories that would bring back :lol:

Inkling
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by Inkling »

Okay, I might be wrong in what I was imagining. You'll have more experience with this. I was imagining that if I go to a store, they'll just have me try 2 or 3 from whatever they have to push that month - or whatever will give them highest commisions. Am I wrong about this assumption?
<div>So long, and thanks for all the fish!<br>- Douglas Adams</div>

Glory

Post by Glory »

Inkling wrote:Okay, I might be wrong in what I was imagining. You'll have more experience with this. I was imagining that if I go to a store, they'll just have me try 2 or 3 from whatever they have to push that month - or whatever will give them highest commisions. Am I wrong about this assumption?
Nope, most do do that.

Usually the higher end the store the more annoying they are.

Try something like a drug store (I think Walgreens and Rite Aid are good for it, if they have them in your area). They usually have a tray full of them on the counter, or a tester bottle in the front of a display. If you end up with a "designer" brand as opposed to a mainstream one (stores like that will have both) it's usually quite a bit cheaper than a department store. In my experience since the staff at those places don't work on commission if you tell them you're "just looking" they'll leave you alone so well that if you *do* end up finding a fragrance you want to buy you'll have to hunt a clerk down to come get it out of the case.

When I lived in the Chicago area several years ago (where there's a Walgreens about every 2 blocks) I bought a lot of my perfume there. At the time I wore Elizabeth Arden (Red Door in the winter, Sunflowers in the summer) and they'd have purse sized bottles of heavily promoted scents (Elizabeth Arden, Elizabeth Taylor and Chloe were big at the time) for about 10 bucks (which were 25 or 30 in a dept store for the same size, although the bottles were fancier) and occasionally they'd throw them on sale for 5. Once, after Valentine's day I think, I even found them 2 for 5. Of course this was about 10 yrs ago, but it was super cheap even then.

I'll add though that I've worn the same scent for about 5 years now and usually order it wherever I find it cheapest online, so my info isn't entirely current.

Raingirl
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Raingirl »

Inkling,

try www.perfumeemporium.com. They sell both men's and women's perfumes AND have reviews of all the products by people who've actually used them. I've posted there myself :D They carry hundreds of perfumes, lots of older stuff too.

Rainy

jayo215
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by jayo215 »

I've done that with cologne. Ask to smell something. They spritz an index card and waft it a little, then hand it to you to smell. Not quite the same as being on skin, but close enough to get an idea. Some places will spritz your wrist, which is fine unless you want to smell several things.

If you go this route, take a little paper cup of coffee beans (some places may have them), which you sniff to clear your head of the perfume/cologne scent. That way if you're comparing scents, you're smelling mixes of three different things.

PBShelley
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by PBShelley »

Hi Glory,

Try Avon.com, I actually ordered some talc and perfume packages from them already. They have a pretty good online selection :D
Maybe you'll find your brand there!

And thanks for the lady-tips :)

PBS

Inkling
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by Inkling »

Glory wrote:where there's a Walgreens about every 2 blocks
8) I've got a Walgreen's 2 miles away. I think I've only been in there four times in several years. I've not noticed perfume, but have never been in there to look for it. Thanks! I'll try Walgreen's.

<b>Raingirl:</b>Somehow I don't think they have "Click 'n' Sniff". :) :wink:
jayo215 wrote:Ask to smell something.
I don't want to do <i>that</i>! Oh. You're still talking about perfume, right?

<b>PBShelley:</b>
Okay, so you're saying they have assortment packs? Maybe I'll check that out after Walgreen's. Thanks!

larryb22
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by larryb22 »

When perfume is applied to the skin, it's scent will change with body chemistry. The same perfume will smell a bit different on each person. This is probably not true for dolls.
In some cases if you find something you like, you may be able to get dusting powder or body powder in the same fragrence. You could kill two birds with one stone.
I had a favorite on the wife from years ago called Pearls and Lace. Found comeplete sets on Ebay, with colone, perfume and body powder.

Inkling
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by Inkling »

I didn't think about that. Um, how do I explain trying out perfume on my silicone sample. :lol:

I'll go to Walgreen's tuesday, and go from there...
Originally, I was looking for something that smelled like flowers. Like maybe lilacs or something...

:idea: Hey, here's a thought: I bet the 'net has web sites that explain the process of making perfume. I'm thinking flowers boiled in alcohol or something. Maybe this is something to check out - <b>if</b> this will actually save money and you can get the perfume to smell like you want.

<center>Twilight</center>
<center><b>The Time for Romance</b></center>
<center><b>The new fragrance from Inkling Enterprises</b></center>
OR:
Dusk Delights
Hmm, not bad...
Believe it or not, I'm going to check this out...

jayo215
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by jayo215 »

Inkling wrote:I didn't think about that. Um, how do I explain trying out perfume on my silicone sample. :lol:
"I work for a medical supply company and we sell prosthetics, breast forms, and the like. These things sometimes have a chemical odor that people dislike, so we're trying to find perfumes, colognes, etc, that will pleasantly cover the smell of the product and won't adversly react to the material."

Glory

Post by Glory »

There are perfume sample sites, like this one http://www.parfumsraffy.com/wsamples.html

Most have a charge (all the sites I can find anyway), either for the sample or for shipping (the site I posted has a flat fee of a dollar per sample for most of them, shipping included). FYI it's U.S. and Canada only, unfortunately.

While it annoys me to ever have to pay for a sample it might be worth it to just order say 10$ worth and try them out on the doll, at home, at your leisure than to go through the hassle of wading around stores.

Also if you have the time to surf around a bit a lot of maufacturers sites will have free sample request forms, but it's a little bit more effort. If you go that route I'd set up a yahoo or hotmail address to use as e-mail when filling out the requests, to avoid spam to your regular account.

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Inkman,

Good luck with your enterprice.
But... If you know how much rose flowers you need... to make very little of those famous rose oil...
Ok youre talking about lilacs, but...
Thats a lotta work Inkman!

mytime
One dream, one mission...

jayo215
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by jayo215 »

I haven't really looked, but don't thrift shops carry perfumes that were being thrown out? I'd think they'd be cheap there.

Glory

Post by Glory »

jayo215 wrote:I haven't really looked, but don't thrift shops carry perfumes that were being thrown out? I'd think they'd be cheap there.
I think you can find those occasionally, the only problem there is that most perfume will lose it's essence over time and the scent will change. If you happened to see a bottle of something you like at a resale shop you could always smell it and see if seemed ok, and then just try to use it relatively quickly. If it's a scent you've never used though, it would complicate things to try and figure out if it was still "good".

Inkling
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by Inkling »

I was imagining wild plants for free, 100 USD in equipment, ten hours of learning, ten hours labor, and a year of aging. Some methods are not much more complicated than that, but with as many marshmellows over the coals as I have now, I've decided I'm not really that big on making perfume. At least not big enough on it to follow through.

Google can provide more links than you can shake a cursor at.
Here are some links in case any readers are interested:
http://www.bermuda-perfumery.com/perfume-making.htm
- the enfleurage process.

http://www.burrenperfumery.com/making.htm
- plants steam distilled and blended over 6 months time.

http://www.parfumsraffy.com/materials.html
- perfume materials and perfume making.
http://www.parfumsraffy.com/glossary.html
- above site's glossary of terms. Know what they mean in perfume making when someone says __.
http://www.parfumsraffy.com/instructions.html
- above site's instructions on how to make perfume.

http://www.namasteproducts.com/perfumemaking.html
- perfume making kits, mostly for 36 dollars.

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/perfumes.html
- all sorts of recipes. You ought to try them. Don't drink these recipes! They're not those kind of recipes... Also:
I want my Mapo!
Oatmeal Facial - 1/2 cup of oatmeal, milk, and 1 tablespoon of honey. Blend ingredients in blender and put it on face, leave it on 20-30 min. by: Chromalplating

I bookmarked this site to check out later because Pioneer Thinking might have unrelated interest things.

There are also a lot of perfume making suppiers.
I've decided that I'm just not interested enough to pursue it, and I've all ready got enough priorities and interests than I can adequately deal with right now.

INFORMATIONS