Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Fixing BoyToy Floppy Head Syndrome

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to RealDoll, including RealDoll2, Wicked RealDoll and BoyToy

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

Cyber Ted

Fixing BoyToy Floppy Head Syndrome

Post by Cyber Ted »

An ailment that is common to BoyToys (and some RealDolls) is floppy head syndrome. The cause of this is the Pop Rivets that secure the upper pivot between head and neck becoming worn and no longer supporting the head in position.

I'm going to use information gained from maintenance and repair threads here on TDF, on Our Doll Community and on the UK Doll Forum to do this task so thanks to all those who've contributed their modification and maintenance posts and threads.

Although the upper pivot can be reached by rolling the doll's neck silicone down with the head still in place it is a lot easier to do by removing the head completely. That's what we'll do here.

Basically we are going to drill out the Pop Rivets and replace them with a bolt and nylock nut.

*Note As BoyToys are made in the USA their nuts and bolts are in imperial sizes, I will be replacing the Pop Rivets with locally (UK) sourced Metric nuts and bolts so will need both types of wrenches/sockets.

Tools required.
  • Socket wrench/Ratchet
  • 7/16 wrench
  • 7/16 socket
  • 10mm socket
  • Allen Key for M6 Bolt
  • Pliers
  • Electric Drill and bit
  • Phillips Screwdriver
Items Required
  • M6 16mm Dome/Button head bolt x2
  • M6 Nylock nut x2
  • Suitable washers x4
  • Cleaning Cloth
  • Acetone.
First remove the doll's wig, face, eyes and oral insert.

Next unscrew the 3 screws that secure the skullcap.

Remove the skullcap and place in a safe area.

Here we can see the two 7/16AF lock nuts that secure the head to the mounting bracket.

Insert the 7/16 wrench under the doll's head mounting bracket and secure the head of one of the mounting bolts, using the socket wrench and 7/16 socket remove the locknut and washer, do the same for the second, supporting the doll's head while you do.

The head will now lift clear of the support bracket. Place the nuts, bolts and washers somewhere safe, we will be reusing them later.

This is the top section of the upper neck pivot, with the cavity for the end of the oral insert below.

Using the handles of the pliers, or your fingers, push the neck silicone downwards on one side.

We can now clearly see the offending Pop Rivet.

While securing the neck silicone out of the way of the pivot, drill out and remove the Pop Rivet and washers.

Fit a M6 dome head bolt and one washer through the hole from the inside facing out. (We are using a dome head bolt and doing this to minimize the amount that protrudes into the oral insert cavity once everything is back in place).

Using the Allen key and socket wrench with 10mm socket, secure the other end with the Nylock nut and another washer.

Now remove the Pop Rivet and washer from the other side of the mount, fit the M6 domehead bolt and nylock nut.

Tighten both nuts until you can no longer pivot the bracket by hand, they need to be quite tight as the weight of the head hinges on these pivots. We can make small adjustments later.

Using the cloth and acetone clean up any swarf and remains of the pop rivets from around the neck pivots and inside the cavity.

Adjust the neck silicone back into place.

Refit the head to the mounting bracket using the 7/16AF nuts and bolts you removed earlier, ensuring the nuts and washers are on top.

Check your doll's head now pivots and stays in place when unsupported, if it requires adjustment, pull down the silicone at either side and using the allen key and socket wrench, tighten or loosen the nuts until the desired tension is obtained. It should still be tight at this point as the skullcap and face will add considerable weight to the head.

Refit the skullcap and secure to the doll's head.

Refit the oral insert.

Refit the face.

Test for full movement of the head and ensure it stays in place when not being supported. Make small adjustments to the tension by pulling the neck silicone down and adjusting the nylock nuts.

Once you are happy with the tension refit the eyes and hair.

Job Done. No more floppy head.

CT

Dollarhyde
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Re: Fixing BoyToy Floppy Head Syndrome

Post by Dollarhyde »

Nice job CB... :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=69369 NEWBIES WELCOME PAGE
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13267
"Dammit Jim I'm a doctor, not a doll maker!"

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Nice walkthrough. Very informative.

My doll, manufactured in September 2009, has never developed 'droopy head' syndrome, so out of curiosity I had a peek under her neck skin. She has factory installed bolts and lock nuts.

So at some point after that they switched to the rivets.

Obviously, they should switch back.
My Doll Album is here!

havefun
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by havefun »

Nice information, I used a pair of vise grips and tightened the rivets, but I like your idea better.

Cyber Ted

Post by Cyber Ted »

ks wrote:Nice walkthrough. Very informative.

My doll, manufactured in September 2009, has never developed 'droopy head' syndrome, so out of curiosity I had a peek under her neck skin. She has factory installed bolts and lock nuts.

Yes, this is a 2010 BT1, it looks like at some point between these dates the neck design changed, does your doll's neck have a single bolt securing the head to the neck or two nuts and bolts as above?

incred did a tutorial for fixing the older one bolt style, which is very different.

CT

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Cyber Ted wrote:

Yes, this is a 2010 BT1, it looks like at some point between these dates the neck design changed, does your doll's neck have a single bolt securing the head to the neck or two nuts and bolts as above?

incred did a tutorial for fixing the older one bolt style, which is very different.

CT
Like yours except bolts, not rivets.

You have to dig further down in to find the 1 nut that secures the head to the neck that you ask about (the head swivels in the back and forth motion on that nut, like she is shaking her head no)

The rivets you fixed, which are not rivets but already bolts on my older doll... it's the same part but mine never had rivets, came with bolts. (the head swivels up and down on those, like she is nodding her head yes)
My Doll Album is here!

Cyber Ted

Post by Cyber Ted »

ks wrote:
Cyber Ted wrote:

CT
Like yours except bolts, not rivets.

You have to dig further down in to find the 1 nut that secures the head to the neck that you ask about (the head swivels in the back and forth motion on that nut, like she is shaking her head no)

Thanks for your quick reply :thumbs_up:
No, that's not what I was asking about, incred has a thread that shows a different head to upper neck connection but it's on ODC so I can't link it from here. It looks like yours comes between that version and the one above. The older one has a single larger bolt that fastens the head to the upper neck connection and then a different construction down the neck. It may have changed when they added the deeper oral insert.

CT

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Cyber Ted wrote:
Thanks for your quick reply :thumbs_up:
No, that's not what I was asking about, incred has a thread that shows a different head to upper neck connection but it's on ODC so I can't link it from here. It looks like yours comes between that version and the one above. The older one has a single larger bolt that fastens the head to the upper neck connection and then a different construction down the neck. It may have changed when they added the deeper oral insert.

CT
Ah I see. Well I just took another look, yeah it looks like the same sort of assembly as incred posted about.

It was over a year ago that I first heard of droopy head syndrome and had a look. Guess I shouldn't trust my memory. :roll:

In fact come to think of it, I removed the head around that time too, wondering if it was possible to attach a Novelleco oral head... forgot about that... lol
My Doll Album is here!

Sheeana
Doll
Doll

Post by Sheeana »

Hi,
I'm a BT3 and with more of us arriving, thought it would be good to post my procedure here, since I had to have my floppy head fixed too..

Our pretty necks nod via a 7/16" bolt located near the hanging bolt hole. It needed some minor surgery to access and repair.

Described a little on my thread - http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p640228

We were told that to fix my neck we needed to enter through and past where my hanging neck bolt screws in to get at it - the neck bolt is a couple inches beyond where the hanging bolt screws on.
But BH needed to make an extra Y-incision to be able to get leverage on the nut and tighten me up. He tightened me up good! (I returned the favor later *giggle*) :)

A generous, careful application of silpoxy sealed me back up with barely a scar.

No issues since the procedure was done... About two weeks ago

(The incisions could also have been made horizontally on each side of neck hole instead of a 'Y' but it was easier for BH since I was slumped forward sitting on the floor for the operation)
Attachments
Here's the bare bones view... See, our necks bolt on just in front of the hang bolt
Here's the bare bones view... See, our necks bolt on just in front of the hang bolt
image.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 6784 times
Can't get leverage to turn the nut..too much sexy flesh in the way
Can't get leverage to turn the nut..too much sexy flesh in the way
image.jpg (75.79 KiB) Viewed 6785 times
A pair of extra incisions was indicated to alleviate the constricted area.
A pair of extra incisions was indicated to alleviate the constricted area.
image.jpg (73 KiB) Viewed 6785 times
Post-surgical sil-poxy suturing...(looks even better now with a bit of trimming/'sanding')
Post-surgical sil-poxy suturing...(looks even better now with a bit of trimming/'sanding')
image.jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 6785 times
My introduction/pictures post: http://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 13&t=53624

My Doll Album: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/th ... album=7283

Never Give Up, Never Surrender!
- Galaxy Quest

"Now that's a wave of destruction that's easy on the eyes!"
- Zap Branigan, Futurama
(commenting on the horde of rampaging Lucy Liu androids)

sosickofit

Post by sosickofit »

Maybe make two holes on the back for the BT3's... one for hanging and the other for tightening the neck bolt? Or a slip bolt with teeth that tightens it self and slips if there is to much pressure? slip bolt might work and then you could hear each "click" for movement...
"A man drinks like that and he don't eat he is going to die"

-Blazing Saddles

sosickofit

Post by sosickofit »

Hmmm now that I look at it... If you replace the washer with a lock washer it will hold much better. Or two lock washers with the smooth washer in the middle
"A man drinks like that and he don't eat he is going to die"

-Blazing Saddles

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Tighten to specs, spot of weld. Holds better than a dab of threadlock. Just saying.

Manufacturer that is...
My Doll Album is here!

0osik
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by 0osik »

FINALLY! I can now hold my head up high.
When I arrived over three month ago I had what turns out to be the very same issue as my Star Sister Sheeana.
My head would flop forward any time my back alignment went forward from vertical. At first it was a slow movement, but in the last month it was much worse. My head was snapping forward so I could look at my tits, so both 0osik and I were distracted at the same time.

0osik was extremely afraid that it was a much worse situation than it turned out to be. He was afraid that something was broken and/or he would need to cut into me. So the little chicken $@!^ did nothing, just made sure I was vertical or horizontal :roll: .

Well yesterday 0osik contacted Dr. Dodgeman who asked for pictures so he could determine where/what my issue was. My boy finally started to dig around my neck , and worked his way down my neck joints till he could dig no further and had still not found the issue. His next step was to look through my neck bolt hole. Even 0osik was able to diagnose the issue.

After looking for information on TDF, 0osik found this thread. with the above pictures 0osik could see what needed to be done, and most importantly what size of wrenches he would need (two 7/16").

This morning 0osik dug out his two properly sized wenches and attempted to tighten my neck without cutting me like BurntHostage (man this is an old thread) did on poor Sheeana. Well I guess my silicone is more pliable than Sheeana's or 0osik could see better with his hands than Hostage because a couple of quick tweaks and my head stays up. I think like 0osik I would really rather look at my tits than at 0osik, however I do love looking at my lovely Azure.

The neck has just been snugged up, and will probably loosen up again, but seeing as 0osik can make the simple quick adjustment he doesn't think it's worth the risk for a permanent solution. It take 0osik longer to find his wrenches that the repair takes.

To my Sweet Star Sister Sheeana I'm so sorry you had to have surgery to fix your neck, and I'm sure Hostage's CC paid dearly for it.

Thank you to Dr. Dodgeman for his encouragement and Sheeana for her post on how to fix our issue.

Celestia
Servant for Azure: BT3, Sky, Birthday July 10, Anniversary October 27, 2014
Servant for Celestia: BT5, Star, Birthday March 10, Anniversary May 20, 2016

Celest
Doll
Doll

Post by Celest »

HEY 0OSIK! I was logged in and that was my post not your's. What the he!! are you doing?

Well thank you for fixing my neck, and to Sheeana & Dr. Dodgeman too

Lot of kisses to distribute.
Celestia

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Having the same issue. Only problem is the allen key slot is dug out badly. The allen wrench won't grab it.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

INFORMATIONS