https://www.climax-doll.com/collections/silicone-mini-sex-doll

Ozzie's other thread.. Behind the scenes...!

Devoted to erotic dolls under three feet high, mostly collectibles (e.g. Ball Joint Dolls)

Moderator: LoneRanger

OlmanOz
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Ozzie's other thread.. Behind the scenes...!

Post by OlmanOz »

For quite some time now I have had it in my mind to start this thread.. 

It will be dedicated to all  the "behind the scene work" that goes into creating my stories.. I will reveal my secrets, tips and tricks..
Show you how I make the props and evaluate characters that have appeared in various episodes, (A kind of unboxing).. Plus a whole
lot more.. All in the interest of expanding and enjoying our hobby...!

I invite everyone to share your own ideas, experiences, joys or disappointments.. Plus ask any questions you may have.. At this
point I have no idea how much time I can dedicate to this thread, but time will tell.. So to get the ball rolling I will start with;

How it all began.. 

In the beginning I came up with the idea of photographing my figures in front of a picture displayed on my 46" tv using a thumb drive plugged into the back..
Which of course kind of defined my "unique style" as my "My teddy bear won't talk to me" story developed..

In the early days (the first year or two) My setup was rather primitive. I used an ironing board, a piece of chipboard and chunks of foam to raise and lower the
height of the set so it would line up with the picture I wanted to use.. To be honest it was and absolute pain in the arse.. It was very unstable and a nightmare
to move up and down..
The slightest bump would start the domino effect causing all my figures to fall over... :shakefist:
20171008_172856.jpg
20171008_172856.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 2504 times
Eventually I could take it no more.. So in November 2018 I placed an extra cabinet in front of the Tv and purchased an adjustable computer stand..
Best thing I ever did.. I can now raise and lower the set without to much effort and most things don't fall over because it is way more stable.. Well worth the money I paid... :thumbs_up:
IMG_20181124_110645.jpg
IMG_20181124_110645.jpg (378.29 KiB) Viewed 2504 times
Of course filming in front of a tv is not as easy as it sounds either.. First of all you need to adjust the backlighting..
In this first one the tv is set at about how you would normally view a movie etc..
Note the backlighting #.. As you can see the figures are to dark because the camera is compensating for the tv's brightness.
20191226_190236.jpg
20191226_190236.jpg (406.51 KiB) Viewed 2504 times
So reduce the backlighting.. It's a bit of trial and error, but you will be surprised how dark the tv looks to the naked eye
but when you snap the picture they look perfect.. :thumbs_up:
20191226_190218.jpg
20191226_190218.jpg (397.95 KiB) Viewed 2504 times
Other issues shooting in front of a tv include the gauzing effect and reflections, but I'll save those ones for later...
Oz.. :glou:
OlmanOz
Follow the crazy adventures of Jessica, k2, their gang of friends, and the bumbling Star Wars Villans in;
"Jessica's Big Droid". viewtopic.php?f=11&t=96837&p=1265215Par ... 1#p1265215
And previously in "(MTBWTTM)", https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... nd#p990942
But only if you dare risk your sanity..?

0osik
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Ozzie's other thread.. Behind the scenes...!

Post by 0osik »

Oooooo, the magic is bring revealed.

Maybe you should a "Spoiler Alert" for those who just love your magic. Personally I love the peek behind the big (well little) curtain.

Thank You
Servant for Azure: BT3, Sky, Birthday July 10, Anniversary October 27, 2014
Servant for Celestia: BT5, Star, Birthday March 10, Anniversary May 20, 2016

Broven
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Broven »

Very interesting. Great tip on the backlight setting! Never would have thought of that.

"You're my blue sky. You're my sunny day." - Dickey Betts

Anna Marie and Friends (Thindoll 162A-36)
February 2019 Coverdoll photo shoot

OlmanOz
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by OlmanOz »

And we are off and racing.. :haha4: Thanks Ooisk and Broven, I guess it is fair to say that anyone who wants to "keep the dream alive" should not be reading this thread...

So yes, I guess this thread will be one big spoiler alert...! 8O
OlmanOz
Follow the crazy adventures of Jessica, k2, their gang of friends, and the bumbling Star Wars Villans in;
And previously in "(MTBWTTM)", https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... nd#p990942

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Ah - Ha! I did the doll in front of the TV thing for one of last month's photo challenge entries. Footstool, various sized cardboard boxes all vicariously perched to get everything at the right height and snapping the shutter before it all came tumbling down! :lol:

I used my cams flash to compensate for the back light issue. Worked, but I had to shop out the glare on the screen afterward. :wink:

JustinBridou
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by JustinBridou »

It's great to see behind the scenes of the shooting. :thumbs_up:
I was almost sure that you used a TV for the backgrounds, but I had a doubt, because it was really well done and hardly discernible.
Thanks for the detailed explanations.
:haha4: the ironing board with polystyrene blocks... great style, I myself very well know this method...
I confirm, it's not stable at all :roll:
ImageJustinBridou & familyImage
Iris & Mitsu - OR138, Nolwenn, Liz, Canelle & Cléo - Deluxe/Teddy babes, Vanille - Valentina Girl,Evelyne - Textile doll, The army of minis - because size don't care!

carlys_guy
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by carlys_guy »

great info ozzy thanks for starting this thread maybe it will get others to start their own stories.

carlys_guy

Wolferich
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Wolferich »

Thank you for the description, I also tried something like that. I will take over especially the lift in front of the television.
Have a nice day or night.

Wolferich M. Mf.

Büchsenmacher MK. XI

OlmanOz
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by OlmanOz »

Hehe, well there we go, my biggest secret is out.. And I assumed everyone would know by now about my use of the tv.. :roll:

Okay so the next major issue is the what I call the "Gauzing effect".. An absolute pain in the arse...! :shakefist:
Now bear in mind that if you use a standard reflex camera with an optical viewfinder you will not see this at all. But if you use
a cell phone with a large digital screen to display you pictures before you snap them this is when the effect will be evident.. The
problem is it looks different depending what computer screen you view the picture on..
So I can only assume you can see what I'm on about.. :?: It is simply all the wavy lines on the picture..
The following 2 pictures demonstrate this effect.. (Best viewed in full resolution)..
20191227_084135.jpg
20191227_084135.jpg (5.75 MiB) Viewed 2440 times
It has been my experience that several things cause this phenomenon to occur..
1) How close you have your camera to the tv screen.. So you need to find the sweet spot.
2) The resolution of the picture you are displaying, some pictures are worse than others. Higher res pics tend to display better usually..
3) The type of camera, phone, or software you use to take the picture, I use a Samsung S10 mostly using the standard samsung camera
but occasionally use a app called "Open camera" by Mark Harman which I used extensively on my old Samsung S5. Having focus hold is a
must for doing this type of photography as I'm sure most of you will recognise already..?
20191227_084425.jpg
20191227_084425.jpg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 2440 times
So how do we rectify this.. Unfortunately it is by trial and error.. You need to find out the best distance for placing the figures from the tv
so it does not happen. I have a board on top of the adjustable stand so i can slide my whole setup forward or backward and from side to side
when need be.. (Hence the advantage of more stability).. I focus on the figures so the screen is slightly out of focus tends to work best. However
sometimes you just can't snap a good pic so I often use the blurring effect in Photoscape to hide it as best I can.. But it creates a lot of extra work.. :thumbs_down:

My tv is also on a swivel stand so often I twist the tv a little bit to compensate, which does help..
20191227_090909.jpg
20191227_090909.jpg (513.86 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
Which brings me to the next subject...

Reflections..

Reflections can be both blessing and a curse..
This next picture shows my set up and the three lights I use.. Very primitive, still to this day.. :roll:
20191227_090940.jpg
20191227_090940.jpg (395.61 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
On the left is an LED lamp covered with a cloth bag to soften the light and reduce shadows on the figures etc.. On the right is a fluro bulb on a stand.
I have a black towel on the stand to stop the white stand reflecting in the screen on dark backgrounds. And standing on the table is a rechargeable LED
light that I can move around lay down etc. I often place a tissue over this as well to soften the glare although the brightness is fully adjustable so that
makes things much easier.. Occasionally I use several other mini LED torches placed around the set and covered with tissues out of view to get better
lighting as well.. You may also notice I have a bit of cardboard balanced on the top to stop the reflection from the lamp, it works good, unless it falls off
and knocks over all my figures... :roll: But the best way to avoid reflections is to film in a dark room and use the tv swivel to move the reflections..
Once again, often I have to use Photoscape to remove the unwanted mistakes..

But reflections can work to your advantage as well.. To make the star in my Christmas story I simply held a torch and shone it at the tv when I snapped
the picture.. No special effects needed at all.. I discovered this purely by accident nearly two years go and is how I came up with the idea for this story.. .. :roll:
20191220_155709.jpg
20191220_155709.jpg (4.3 MiB) Viewed 2440 times
Geesh. I feel naked revealing all my secrets... :haha4:
OlmanOz

carlys_guy
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by carlys_guy »

thanks ozzy hopefully there will be lots of new stories by others for us to follow.

carlys_guy

Anung Un Rama
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary
Location: The Dollsmith..hanging out with the Un Rama band on the Central Coast Of Oz! Life is gigs and jams!

Post by Anung Un Rama »

Oh NO 8O

Toto..what have you done. 8O

Next you will be telling us Santa is not a home intruder.....Never tell Lily that OK!

Fascinating and a great tutorial Oz!

Anung

THE UN RAMA'S

Lilith Un Rama - RD She Devil Custom Bod 10 (DOLLMILF and TDF Doll Queen)
Natasha-RD Classic - Bod 6
Lexi-BT 3 (C) Star Bod 3 Gel butt & boob implants
Lorelei-SANHUI 165R cup my custom elf head 007
Emerald-R13 custom
Tammy-PIB IG -Bella Head
Ayla-WM dolls - 155cm DD cup model
Jessica Jade-PD - 163cm, Penelope fitness version .
Mazzy M-JY/AS Doll 166cm fitness model
Pearl-JY150cm Fantasy Fitness my design
BaBs-PD 158cm Mega Boobs doll
Jessie-TB Deluxe-Jessica Model
Danny-YL Dolls-128cm Kylie model
Gypsy Kate-WM 140cm D cup head #36
Dommy-SANHUI 65cm Mini silicone doll
Mini Dolls lots!
My designs: PD 160 cm FBB Motoko Kusinagi GITS, She Demon Agony & 150cm Fantasy fitness Pearl

OlmanOz
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by OlmanOz »

:haha4: Love that gif Anung.. Yes it's a bit like that isn't it.. :whistle:
Yes Carly. Let's hope it inspires others to start a few stories. Even if they're just short one or two posts.. :thumbs_up:
OlmanOz

Dees luver
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by Dees luver »

Wow cool stuff, your brilliant Oz! :thumbs_up:
All this time I thought you were related to George Lucas or something 8O
Master of Puppets...

OlmanOz
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by OlmanOz »

Damn it Dees, , I told you not to use my real name here... :haha4:
OlmanOz

Endless War
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Endless War »

Thanks for the share.
I understand the feeling, I felt a bit exposed doing the in depth makeup thread.
But its extremely helpful to the community overall to learn from your expertise.
So thanks again.
Your stories always inspire.
Instagram: @the_art_dolls

INFORMATIONS