www.wmdolls.com

WM 172B review (Feb. 2020)

Reviews on WM Dolls Products and Support
Forum rules
This area of the forum is dedicated to Product reviews and Manufacturer support reviews only.

All posts in the Reviews section have to be approved by a moderator before they show up and will be locked after approval.
Reviews will only be approved if evidence is provided to back up the claims that are made.
ZannyDanger
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

WM 172B review (Feb. 2020)

Post by ZannyDanger »

WM 172B review (February 2020)

Intro:

Hello again fellow doll lovers, this will be my full review of the newly released WM172B ordered through Jeff @ BCD.
As i strongly believe in the importance of writing thorough reviews on TDF and ensuring that first hand accounts be made available for the benefit of others when looking to make an informed purchase decision, this might be a long post. Considering the amount of money that we invest on these dolls, this is something i think will benefit others. Keeping in mind how people tend to skim through text these days, i've conveniently segmented my review in categories and given each an individual score out of 10 which will be compiled at the end. This should help navigate it more efficiently if you wish to skip to the meaty parts right away.

First, a bit of background on me as a WM doll owner:

The 172B is the 3rd WM doll joining my household since first joining the forum in 2017. I first purchased a 140D in 2017, followed by a 157B in 2018, and now this magnificent 172B at the end of 2019 makes 3.
In the context of this review, i believe this puts me in a good position to outline the evolution of WM products in the span of the last 3 years, something i'll attempt to do where it makes sense.

For my up to date review for BCD, please > Click Here <

WM 172B Overview:

• Box Contents / Packaging:
  • I was rather quick in pulling the trigger when this body came out, so likely avoided the slightly increased wait times that usually come with such world-shaking releases.

When the doll came in, i rushed outside to help the driver carry the box inside as i've learned to do. I do this for a number of reasons:

• One: I don't want to even give them a single opportunity to mishandle the box.
    • Two: it gives me an opportunity to quickly inspect the box exterior for any dents before feeling pressured to sign anything.
    • Three: OH MY GOD SHE'S HERE!!! :wink:

Opening the box, i noticed that WM had improved their packaging significantly since last time. The doll was completely secured by thick cutout foam filling the box in order to prevent any compression marks during transport, and the foam's surface was covered by a nice soft layer of fabric to prevent any abrasions from occurring. Additionally and as usual, the doll itself was well protected with adequate foam wrapping around her extremities, then secured in a thin plastic wrap and finally appropriately covered with the usual soft blanket.

• Remarkable: The box also had plywood squares at both ends preventing the doll's neck bolt and feet from ever punching through the box in the event mishandling during transport. This is something i think all makers should take note of. When shipping these dolls over long distances, all it takes is one incompetent human along the chain to cause damage. Thoughtful details like these can really go a long way in ensuring that the doll gets where it needs to be completely unscathed.

I think it's safe to say that WM has made tremendous progress these past few years by paying attention to customer feed back and subsequently developed efficient means of securing their dolls properly for long distance travel. Long gone are the days of reading horror stories on here and worrying to no end about your doll being damaged during transport, we can finally rest easy.
    Not much to add here, they know exactly what they're doing on this front.

• WM Packaging score: 10/10

• Body Sculpt:

Right out of the box i was completely blown away by this doll's sculpt. I think over the last years we've come to accept that TPE dolls tend to be much less detailed compared to silicone dolls, and while the price difference definitely is there to justify this, it's obvious that WM's recent releases such as the 166C, 162E, and yes... definitely the new 172B have been significantly closing the gap in this regard. In my opinion, this doll has to be the most realistic and lifelike TPE body i have ever seen. On most aspects regarding her sculpt, with perhaps the exception of the hands and feet which are still areas that WM need to improve on, her visual appearance and definition actually rivals that of my much more expensive silicone dolls. I think that says a lot right there. When it comes to this new generation of bodies being released, my opinion is that WM has managed to make leaps and bounds in recent years, and i think they are definitely on to something big. I can't tell you what their secret sauce is, but for me this results in a doll that looks so incredibly lifelike to the eye that my senses become profoundly confused into believing that she is real, a blissful state of mind that i definitely enjoy experiencing a great deal.

I'll probably add pictures here when i can find a moment, on the subject of this doll's sculpt, i'll refer you to this > promo thread by mandos < which in my opinion manages to expertly showcase the breathtaking amount of detail on this doll's sculpt. In short: you're telling me that we can now afford this level of realistic detail on a doll along with the reliable quality we've come to expect from WM, all in this kind of price range? Are you freaking kidding me??? Times are changing... :whistle:

• WM 172B sculpt score: 10/10

Height:

The appropriately denominated 172B stands about 172cm tall who would have thunk! :lol:

This is without a doubt the tallest and most realistic doll i've ever had the pleasure of interacting with. As soon as i stood her up, i was completely blown away by just how much of a difference her height made for me. To be finally able to hold her in my arms and have eye contact was an long time dream come true. If interacting with your doll in similar ways is something that appeals to you in the slightest, then i can really attest to the amount of realism that having her be as tall as you are makes. My doll's previous body, a 157B, was a bit on the shorter side so this is an area in which i had been looking to improve the quality and realism of our interactions for some time.

• WM 172B height score: opinion based / unquantifiable

Weight:

Increased height comes with increased weight of course.

Listed at 38.5kg (i still need to weigh her) my impressions are that this doll definitely manages to stay at a perfectly reasonable weight thanks to her athletic sculpt and modest bust. Compared to other dolls of this size that have more decidedly voluptuous curves, the 172B manages to hit the sweet spot between ease of handling and uncompromising realism. Compared to my 157B which was relatively light at about 28kg, the difference can definitely be felt however. Opinions on this will vary of course, but to me the added weight and density of tpe has had a rather positive impact in my daily interactions with my doll. Simply put, she has a bit more "meat" on her bones, which allows the tpe material to react more realistically to the touch. A gentle slap on her butt makes short work of explaining this concept. Her weight gives her more mass, which in turns greatly contributes in fooling my senses into thinking that she is real. We often hear seasoned doll owners recommending a lighter starter doll as a first purchase, and this is definitely advice i took when i first started out. My first doll, the WM140D only weighed 25kg and was very easy to move around, however over time it became apparent to me that she was a bit too much on the short side for my tastes, and only a year later i decided that i wanted a taller doll. So i think this is for everyone to decide for themselves. My opinion on this debate is that unless you have back problems or prefer to keep your doll's weight down for other reasons, then a doll of this weight will give you no issue so long as you remain thoughtful, considerate and attentive in the way you move her around. With experience, you'll develop good technique and muscle memory, and the process of moving her will become like second nature, almost automatic.

• WM 172B weight score: opinion based / unquantifiable

LHP/MTV (lady parts, sexual function & accesibility)

With the recent threads and suggestions surrounding improvements for love hole placement, i think it's important to outline that this doll incorporates considerable improvements on this front. WM seem to have been paying close attention to the valuable feedback posted on the forum in recent months, and here is why:

With a MTV (Mouth to Vagina) distance of roughly 71cm, the life sized 172B is a doll that allows for kissing and maintaining proper eye contact at all times during playtime, something that truly enhances the user experience and intimacy of sexual interaction. The doll's love holes are realistically detailed, well positioned and accessible from the back. Gaping of the opening when the legs are open is kept to a very acceptable minimum. For an accurate depiction of the 172B's LHP, please refer to > this post <. In my opinion, this is damn near perfection.

• WM 172B MTV/LHP score: 9.8/10

WM Enhanced skeleton

On top of shrugging shoulders, double hinged neck and standing feet, this latest iteration of WM's skeleton introduces double jointed elbows and knees, allowing for a much wider range of movement.
    The way the double hinges operate is rather simple and similar to the already introduced double hinged neck: one joint is set slightly looser to allow for a normal range of movement, and upon reaching it's maximum range, the second, slightly tighter joint engages on it's turn. This allows for poses that were completely impossible to achieve before, such as positioning the doll's hand on her chest, shoulder or face, or bending the knees to accomplish squatting positions for example. At a glance, these feel just as reliable and durable as their single jointed counterparts. When resetting the double hinged joint's position, it's important to straighten out the arm/leg completely in order to reset the second, slightly tighter hinge to zero, thus ensuring that only the first hinge engages during normal movement. This is yet another fantastic addition to an already well rounded skeleton.

As we all know, the hands of WM dolls (among many other tpe brands) are still an area needing much improvement. While the finger wires on my 172B feel rather durable compared to previous models, they still require careful handling. Only time will tell here, but i would strongly encourage WM to lead the way in the industry and start using a bigger gauge of wire on these fingers, and continuing to ensure the wire contact points with the hand plates aren't prone to breaking or detaching. With better hands, i would have given the skeleton a 9 out of 10.

• WM Enhanced Skeleton score: 8.5/10

WM tpe material

WM has been making leaps and bounds in terms of softness of their TPE formulation in recent times. At a glance, i would say this doll feels at least twice as soft as my 140D from 2017, and maybe as much as 50% softer when compared to my 157B from 2018. The TPE feels incredibly supple and lifelike, it feels and reacts just like the real thing.... it's hard to put into words just how much so. Additionally, the tpe stretches wonderfully and feels very unlikely to cause any tearing issues over time. The improvement of TPE quality is an area in which there has been fierce competition of late, and i am happy to report that WM definitely aren't falling behind by any means. Factory odor was barely discernible this time around, so that's definitely a great thing.

• WM TPE Material score: 10/10

• Closing words:

Here concludes my (admittedly extensive) review of the WM 172B. Overall, i am incredibly satisfied with my purchase, and the 172B as a product has not only met, but even exceeded my expectations. In my opinion, the value and bang for your buck on these WM dolls is incredible, and as long as WM continues to maintain the standards of quality and QC that we've come to expect from them, then their place as leaders of the industry is firmly secured. I hope that this review has been a helpful and informative read for anyone considering a purchase, for both seasoned and new doll owners alike. If this review can in turn contribute in helping others to finally take the leap and discover the magic of doll ownership for themselves, and that this results in a positive impact on the quality of their daily life then this review was worth every second i've spent writing it. My dolls have certainly transformed my life for the better, and i wish the same for each and every one of you.

Until next time,

:glou:

ZD

• WM 172B - Overall Score: 9.7/10

INFORMATIONS