Starpery.com

Sewing (machine) thread

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Siliconeman
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Sewing (machine) thread

Post by Siliconeman »

Hi all!

I have found out that many of my dolls have very special body-shapes and it is very difficult to find well fitting garments for them.

For this reason I am thinking that I will have to do some modifications by myself on my doll-clothing.

My question for you doll-people out there is: What sewing machine you are using (if you have one)? What kind of machine would you recommend?
Any sewing tips and tricks which you might be willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

I am total sewing-beginner and need some advice!

Cheers!

Siliconeman

Jimmy_71
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: Sewing (machine) thread

Post by Jimmy_71 »

I'll be following this thread. As I'm thinking about getting a sewing machine also.
My girls:
Karissa (Zelex SLE 172E with head 204)
Karine (WM158D / #273)
MG (WM172G)
Anya (WM172D Gel / #370)
Andrea & Veronica (WM172D Hollow / #370 & #S19 shared body)
Patricia & Tatiana (WM166C / #252 & #266 shared body)
Alyssa & Isabelle (WM158D / #74 & #162 shared body)
Karissa's Thread
Jimmy's WM Babes
Link To Their Old Threads
Link To Their Photo Albums
Link To Their Instagram

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Most of us who can use a sewing machine started off with a basic one, anyone remember the Treadle actuated Singer?
There are current models, pretty much automatic everything but are quite expensive, no experience with them :whistle:
In addition to the manual that comes with a new machine there are a number of sites on the net with instructions also :)

AtomicPunk

Post by AtomicPunk »

Ah, sewing machines. Sometimes I feel like a weirdo for being a man in 2020 with a sewing machine. But they just a tool for clothes like a saw is for building a bench. As a kid of the 70's, my Mom was probably the last generation to sew. It was a craft in the 50s-70s for many women to head to the sewing store. Find a pattern, pick out some fabric and make your own clothing. I loved watching my Mom make stuff, and by the time I was 7 or 8, she'd let me help. We always got to make our own Halloween costumes every year too. She had a cabinet/table where you would flip out the top and the sewing machine came out of the middle.

Anywhoo, my Mom downgraded to a simple Singer machine as she got older and I now have her machine, as she passed away. A sewing machine seems to be one of those things people forget about when they have kids. I would assume the new generations just toss rather than fix. I'm always fixing my boy's clothes. And yeah, now with Alita I've done a few alterations, mostly waist intakes on a few dresses.

I have to say it's been really cool to see the clothing that scale doll owners have come up with.

Just start with a basic machine. They are more than adequate for alterations and basic clothing. Fancy computer models are for advanced sewing techniques and full blown projects if you are serious and want to save a bit of time. I would recommend Singer, a company that's been around oh, since 1850.
-- The AtomicPunk --
** Alita ** WM 157cm B - #368 || The Life of Alita (link) Alita's Instagram (link) || Visit LIFEOFALITA.COM (link) || Alita's YouTube (link)

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Sewing machinists are still to be found in countries that don't have English as their first language :)

Tailor
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Tailor »

I have several sewing machines :new-alien: including a bernina 215 a juki DDL 900B industrial machine a serger and a coverlock that does not seem to work so well.

What price range?
If you only intend to do a little sewing it may be unnecessary to buy a new modern machine with 1000 different stitches you will probably only use 3-4 of them in the end.
The most important seams are straight stitch, zigzag and maybe a specific stretch stitch (overloock seam) and buttonholes. Invisible hem seam may be good if you hem up trousers, but you can do it by hand stitching if you want a hem without visible seam.

Look for a used one There are many good and cheap older machines that after a service or oil change will work great. Old cheap Singer machines you see lots of and they are made of solid metal parts and are made to last, the same with most Bernina. But not Bernina Bernette machines.
Singer.jpg
Singer.jpg (206.83 KiB) Viewed 833 times
Some suggestions
Bernina 1008, Very good machine and with a little luck it is possible to find a cheap one (50-100 dollars), then act quickly but make sure it works.

Bernina record, a slightly older machine but for 50 dollars you can not complain.

Janome easy jeans, strong machine that sews through thick fabrics.
There are some suggestions for machines that I myself have used or researched more about when I bought one for my mother as a gift. She got the Bernina Record :mrgreen:
Jade: SM 148cm
Claire: JM New Tree Elf 80cm
Mi-Soo: Starpery 171cm A

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

I have a sewing machine, old Japanese model inherited from my mom. So far though, it's operation escapes me, so I've been making minor alterations by hand.

Adrox
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Adrox »

You can buy a simple sewing machine, just make sure have straight and zigzag stiches with presser foot. (I think always come when is new). All the basic transforms can be made with this and a few tutorials in youtube.
Belive me in a few days I learned to make a skirt for my now exwife many years ago and was fun!

katiesBoyfriend
Doll Elder
Doll Elder
Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

Post by katiesBoyfriend »

Tailor wrote:I have several sewing machines :new-alien: including a bernina 215 a juki DDL 900B industrial machine a serger and a coverlock that does not seem to work so well.

What price range?
If you only intend to do a little sewing it may be unnecessary to buy a new modern machine with 1000 different stitches you will probably only use 3-4 of them in the end.
The most important seams are straight stitch, zigzag and maybe a specific stretch stitch (overloock seam) and buttonholes. Invisible hem seam may be good if you hem up trousers, but you can do it by hand stitching if you want a hem without visible seam.

Look for a used one There are many good and cheap older machines that after a service or oil change will work great. Old cheap Singer machines you see lots of and they are made of solid metal parts and are made to last, the same with most Bernina. But not Bernina Bernette machines.
Singer.jpg
Some suggestions
Bernina 1008, Very good machine and with a little luck it is possible to find a cheap one (50-100 dollars), then act quickly but make sure it works.

Bernina record, a slightly older machine but for 50 dollars you can not complain.

There are some suggestions for machines that I myself have used or researched more about when I bought one for my mother as a gift. She got the Bernina Record :mrgreen:
My late mother trained on a Singer machine similar to that one. She took it with her when she and I left Germany and joined my father in Canada.

I wanted to keep it after she died but it, along with several other heirlooms, was damaged when the basement flooded a few years ago. There wasn't much left of it and I sold it to someone for scrap. :(
"A man has to be what he is, Joey. Can't break the mould. I tried it and it didn't work for me." Alan Ladd, Shane
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." Harlan Ellison
"Dad says that anyone who can't use a slide rule is a cultural illiterate and should not be allowed to vote. Mine is a beauty--a K&E 20-inch Log-log Duplex Decitrig." Robert Heinlein

katiesBoyfriend
Doll Elder
Doll Elder
Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

Tailor wrote:I have several sewing machines :new-alien: including a bernina 215 a juki DDL 900B industrial machine a serger and a coverlock that does not seem to work so well.

What price range?

Singer.jpg
Some suggestions

My late mother trained on a Singer machine similar to that one. She took it with her when she and I left Germany and joined my father in Canada.

I wanted to keep it after she died but it, along with several other heirlooms, was damaged when the basement flooded a few years ago. There wasn't much left of it and I sold it to someone for scrap. :(
"A man has to be what he is, Joey. Can't break the mould. I tried it and it didn't work for me." Alan Ladd, Shane
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." Harlan Ellison
"Dad says that anyone who can't use a slide rule is a cultural illiterate and should not be allowed to vote. Mine is a beauty--a K&E 20-inch Log-log Duplex Decitrig." Robert Heinlein

Siliconeman
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Siliconeman »

Great answers! Keep them coming. Tailor recommended Bernina, this make seems to be clearly for professionals. The simplest Bernina that I could find (Bernina 325) costs 1000euro when bought new.

Usually stores have either Singer or Brother machines here. Anyone has any comments about Brother? Many recommend simple machine to start with and they are probably correct but as a man I like technology and it would be interesting to test slightly more advanced mid-range machine in maybe 300euro range.

I am not prepared to buy used machine since I know nothing about sewing machines and could not evaluate whether the machine is in good or bad condition.

Cheers!

Sili

katiesBoyfriend
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Siliconeman wrote:Great answers! Keep them coming. Tailor recommended Bernina, this make seems to be clearly for professionals. The simplest Bernina that I could find (Bernina 325) costs 1000euro when bought new.

Usually stores have either Singer or Brother machines here. Anyone has any comments about Brother? Many recommend simple machine to start with and they are probably correct but as a man I like technology and it would be interesting to test slightly more advanced mid-range machine in maybe 300euro range.

I am not prepared to buy used machine since I know nothing about sewing machines and could not evaluate whether the machine is in good or bad condition.

Cheers!

Sili
My mother was a fashion designer by trade. When she died a few years, she had 3 Singers (including the one I mentioned earlier) as well as a Pfaff sewing machine and a Pfaff serger. You can't go wrong with either brand. Take a look on sites like eBay as there are often good machines for sale there.

BuilderOfCastles

Post by BuilderOfCastles »

Ok, to start with

buy safety pins.

No, really. Then you but a shirt that fits around your lady's bust, and then you learn to alter it with safety pins.
Put the shirt on inside out. Grab the seam and pinch it in tighter. Put a safety pin to keep the material there.
Put in a lot of safety pins. Almost like you are sewing with safety pins.

Then you turn it right side out, put it on your babe, and see what it looks like.
Does it hang right. Does it look right. If not, play with it.

---- -- -- -----

Next is thread and needle. So, you got those safety pins, now follow the points of those pins and do a running stitch.
You are doing what those safety pins did in a much more permanent manner.
(and you get all your safety pins back for the next trial.)

Sewing by hand is not really that hard. And since your doll is not going to be moving around in it, you don't even have to be careful about keeping your stitches even.

Doing this allows you to see how the pieces of fabric go together, and what happens when you move seems.

----- -- ---- -- -- ---

After you have done this a few times, you will stop using safety pins, and start using pins. (they are faster, and you buy them by the 100s. They stab you and your doll, so you need practice with the "safety" pins first)

And, you start using a sewing machine to do the same type of stitches you just did.

For a sewing machine you really want a GOOD basic one.
Like others commented above, you use 4 stitches for almost all clothes.
My 40 year old sewing machine does them all just fine.

--- -- -- -- -- ----

Now for the advanced stuff.
You know the edges of panties?

Well, that is done with a serger. It has 4 spools of thread.
And it does this edge locking and edge cutting
You cannot do this with a standard sewing machine.
You cannot imitate this look.

Sooooo, if you have a project that has that look, and you want that smooth, one layer, tight fitting cloth. Then you will need a serger.

BUT! you will probably be happy just buying panties, and never need one of these.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

serger = overlocker in Down Under speak :)

Siliconeman
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Siliconeman »

Visited local electronics store and they had very basic Singer on offer. So I got myself Singer Simple 3223 sewing machine.
SingerSimple3223.jpg
SingerSimple3223.jpg (123.75 KiB) Viewed 708 times
This machine cost me only 75 euros. It has very plasticky feel, I was able to get it working very easily. Reviewers of this machine comment that thick layers of fabric is not possible to do but doll-clothes are usually quite thin material. I am not intending to sew denim neither do my skills allow me to do that.

I think this will be fun trip!

Cheers!

Sili

INFORMATIONS