Starpery.com

Sewing (machine) thread

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Yinshi
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Re: Sewing (machine) thread

Post by Yinshi »

I also have a Singer Simple 3232 (so far just for repairing my own clothes, although doll clothes are an interesting future project). It reminds me of my mother's machine from the 1960s, although as stated it is mostly plastic rather than the metal construction back then. It seems fine for most simple tasks. Although as others have mentioned, getting an old used machine might also be a good option.

still_c

Post by still_c »

I have a question for you all. I wanna sew some new clothes for my doll, but I don't have a machine. I figured out that my sister has a Singer that she doesn't need anymore. So do you think it would be okay to use it? or do I need to buy another machine?
Last edited by Arthur1960 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Link disabled rule 7a

katiesBoyfriend
Doll Elder
Doll Elder
Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

Post by katiesBoyfriend »

Yinshi wrote:I also have a Singer Simple 3232 (so far just for repairing my own clothes, although doll clothes are an interesting future project). It reminds me of my mother's machine from the 1960s, although as stated it is mostly plastic rather than the metal construction back then. It seems fine for most simple tasks. Although as others have mentioned, getting an old used machine might also be a good option.
One thing to consider is how long a used machine has been idle.

Earlier this month, I sold the last of my mother's machines, an old Singer Touch & Sew that was nearly 50 years old. The buyer wanted to check out some of its functions, but one of the controls couldn't be adjusted. It took us about an hour to figure out that it was probably seized up because it hadn't been used much for most of the past decade, particularly after she died. We sort of got it un-stuck with a bit of WD-40.
"A man has to be what he is, Joey. Can't break the mould. I tried it and it didn't work for me." Alan Ladd, Shane
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." Harlan Ellison
"Dad says that anyone who can't use a slide rule is a cultural illiterate and should not be allowed to vote. Mine is a beauty--a K&E 20-inch Log-log Duplex Decitrig." Robert Heinlein

INFORMATIONS