Starpery.com

Cleaning stains

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
TIEL

Cleaning stains

Post by TIEL »

Hi All

I stumbled across this thread which is a couple years old now and just wondering what's the consensus nowadays?

https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 7&t=111470

Anyone know where I can buy this stuff in or near Australia?

Pretty desperate for a solution so I've got half an idea to mix h202 and salt together to make my own paste for cleaning.

Cheers

FCD94
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Re: Cleaning stains

Post by FCD94 »

Subject: Cleaning stains
TIEL wrote:Hi All

I stumbled across this thread which is a couple years old now and just wondering what's the consensus nowadays?

https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 7&t=111470

Anyone know where I can buy this stuff in or near Australia?

Pretty desperate for a solution so I've got half an idea to mix h202 and salt together to make my own paste for cleaning.

Cheers

I am assuming this is for clothing stains etc.?

You can use 10% benzoyl peroxide cream. It is cheap and effective. Here is an example for you from an Australian pharmacy site - https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy ... gel-10-60g

> This is best done in the bathroom or laundry. Do NOT get benzoyl peroxide on your clothes, walls, floor, bed or anything else it will permanently bleach them and transfer to anything that comes in contact. It is peroxide.

> Test the cream first on a small area of the stain. Put a large dab right on a visible spot, leave it for 24hrs. Gently wipe off with a damp paper towel. It will have hardened a little, so several passes may be necessary.

If this works, and no damage results, repeat for the whole stain.

> Apply a large amount of the 10% benzoyl peroxide cream to the affected area. Smear it across so you can barely see the TPE underneath. You do not need to rub the cream heavily into the TPE, just apply it carefully to the surface.

> Leave for 24-48hrs. It would be smart to leave the doll somewhere the doll will be stable and secure and you are not likely to brush against it. A bathroom or similar tiled area is best. If the doll is standing (easiest way to do all this), ensure it is steady and stable and unlikely to fall. Do not rest an area with the cream applied against another surface or object.

> To remove 10% benzoyl peroxide cream, gently wipe off with a damp paper towel as in the test you did earlier. As before, the cream will have hardened some, so work carefully. Ensure you have enough towel and access to water to complete the job - do NOT touch anything you do not want bleached or damaged while you have benzoyl peroxide residue on your hands.

> Ensure ALL cream is removed. If the stain is removed at this point, proceed to the next step. If not, repeat the above steps again until it is gone.

> If ALL cream is removed, wash your hands and forearms thoroughly, then clean the whole area again with clean paper towel and water, at least once. Do NOT allow excess residue to run off the doll onto other surfaces or yourself.

> Allow several hours to dry before dusting with cornstarch using a large makeup brush.

I did this to remove a clothing stain several weeks ago after a pair of gray gym shorts unexpectedly stained the whole of my 175CM doll from the top of the thighs to just under the navel, the whole way around and under the doll and over the backside. The above are the exact steps I followed, and they work. The only variation was that I wash my doll in the shower, which most do not.

In very severe cases, stains may not be able to be removed. To avoid clothing stains, stick to simple light colors. Do not ever fit a wig with a black cap or black elastics to your doll you will stain and damage it. Always wash clothing and wigs properly once they come out of the packet and before you fit them to the doll.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

TIEL
Any staining on a TPE doll will be absorbed by the doll over a period of weeks

The Benzoyl peroxide should be tested in a safe place first (neck for removable heads)
If there is any indication of the neck TPE bleaching, DON'T USE IT
Just settle for time to take care of it

If there isn't any bleaching then it will be OK to use it to speed up the removal of the discoloration
A cleaning & oiling after the peroxide treatment should always be done :)

Pygmalion09
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by Pygmalion09 »

I've applied a mixture of mineral oil and watercolor to see if I could tint the skin of my doll. It worked, but gradually faded over about 1 month. I imagine that a lot of topical stains caused by clothes will fade over time on their own.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

One of the properties of TPE is the ability to soak up staining
To permanently color TPE involves mixing a blend of TPE shavings dissolved in a 3M adhesion promotor with the addition of an oil based coloring
Wheezer was starting to get into this topic
viewtopic.php?p=1798746#p1798746

TIEL

Post by TIEL »

FCD94 wrote:Subject: Cleaning stains

I am assuming this is for clothing stains etc.?

You can use 10% benzoyl peroxide cream. It is cheap and effective. Here is an example for you from an Australian pharmacy site - https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy ... gel-10-60g

> This is best done in the bathroom or laundry. Do NOT get benzoyl peroxide on your clothes, walls, floor, bed or anything else it will permanently bleach them and transfer to anything that comes in contact. It is peroxide.

> Test the cream first on a small area of the stain. Put a large dab right on a visible spot, leave it for 24hrs. Gently wipe off with a damp paper towel. It will have hardened a little, so several passes may be necessary.

If this works, and no damage results, repeat for the whole stain.

> Apply a large amount of the 10% benzoyl peroxide cream to the affected area. Smear it across so you can barely see the TPE underneath. You do not need to rub the cream heavily into the TPE, just apply it carefully to the surface.

> Leave for 24-48hrs. It would be smart to leave the doll somewhere the doll will be stable and secure and you are not likely to brush against it. A bathroom or similar tiled area is best. If the doll is standing (easiest way to do all this), ensure it is steady and stable and unlikely to fall. Do not rest an area with the cream applied against another surface or object.

> To remove 10% benzoyl peroxide cream, gently wipe off with a damp paper towel as in the test you did earlier. As before, the cream will have hardened some, so work carefully. Ensure you have enough towel and access to water to complete the job - do NOT touch anything you do not want bleached or damaged while you have benzoyl peroxide residue on your hands.

> Ensure ALL cream is removed. If the stain is removed at this point, proceed to the next step. If not, repeat the above steps again until it is gone.

> If ALL cream is removed, wash your hands and forearms thoroughly, then clean the whole area again with clean paper towel and water, at least once. Do NOT allow excess residue to run off the doll onto other surfaces or yourself.

> Allow several hours to dry before dusting with cornstarch using a large makeup brush.

I did this to remove a clothing stain several weeks ago after a pair of gray gym shorts unexpectedly stained the whole of my 175CM doll from the top of the thighs to just under the navel, the whole way around and under the doll and over the backside. The above are the exact steps I followed, and they work. The only variation was that I wash my doll in the shower, which most do not.

In very severe cases, stains may not be able to be removed. To avoid clothing stains, stick to simple light colors. Do not ever fit a wig with a black cap or black elastics to your doll you will stain and damage it. Always wash clothing and wigs properly once they come out of the packet and before you fit them to the doll.
This is brilliant. Thank you so much for the thorough guide and link! I'll go grab some tomorrow and give this a go.

Good idea on testing in a area first. I know just the spot too - one of the feet absorbed the colouring. Not as obvious but definitely noticeable. I'll give this a go.

TIEL

Post by TIEL »

seagull wrote: A cleaning & oiling after the peroxide treatment should always be done :)
Good call. I'll grab some mineral oil too. Thanks as well!

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Don't recall any post saying that a stain became permanent :)

INFORMATIONS