Starpery.com

Stuck M16 bolt on neck

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Cam3848
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Stuck M16 bolt on neck

Post by Cam3848 »

Hi everyone,

I didn't realize that the hanging screw I was using for my doll was actually and M8 screw with an M16 adapter (I know, its right on the front of the screw lol) and now the M16 portion of it has become stuck in her neck. Any tips on how to remove it?
Attachments
M82.jpg
M82.jpg (90.01 KiB) Viewed 473 times
M8.jpg
M8.jpg (81.06 KiB) Viewed 473 times

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Stuck M16 bolt on neck

Post by Tyr »

get a long M8 bolt and nut. screw the nut onto the bolt and then fit the bolt to the neck. tighten the nut down onto the 16MM plug and then using a spanner or socket, gently unscrew the bolt. If the nut is tight enough it should lock the 16mm plug to the bolt. Use some washers between the nut if you have to. after it's out. you can unlock the nut and plug with a couple of spanners.
edit.
Apply a smidge of penetrating oil to the plug as well, before you try to unscrew it. Just a bit no need to flood it. and you might need some pliers or grips to hold the neck steady. nice and steady don't get rough.

Tyr
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Yay! Solutions :)

Cam3848
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Cam3848 »

This was such a good idea and I drive to the hardware store to get the bolt and then nut. Unfortunately, the entire neck came out and it is all still stuck. I may just take it to a machine shop tomorrow and have them separate everything up.

Tyr wrote:get a long M8 bolt and nut. screw the nut onto the bolt and then fit the bolt to the neck. tighten the nut down onto the 16MM plug and then using a spanner or socket, gently unscrew the bolt. If the nut is tight enough it should lock the 16mm plug to the bolt. Use some washers between the nut if you have to. after it's out. you can unlock the nut and plug with a couple of spanners.
edit.
Apply a smidge of penetrating oil to the plug as well, before you try to unscrew it. Just a bit no need to flood it. and you might need some pliers or grips to hold the neck steady. nice and steady don't get rough.

Tyr

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Eek! That was not expected
Really hoping it all goes back together securely
A bit of plumbers tape should help the neck stay in place when removing the head in future :)

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Wow, That was a surprise! I hope you manage to get it fixed.
Good luck.
Tyr
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Hey Cam, How are you getting along with your stuck adaptor, did you get it free yet?

Tyr

Cam3848
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Cam3848 »

Sydney is getting along well with a pillow under her head that is holding her head on place lol As far as the adapter situation, I left it at a machine shop for the weekend and the guy said he would call me on Monday. Funny story: He asked me what the part was for and the first that came out of my mouth was "centrifuge". Sydney now has a middle name lol

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

That's good, making progress. Hope Sydney likes her middle name!

Cam3848
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Cam3848 »

Finally got the part today and I am so happy!! This weekend kind of sucked with Sydney basically not being here (no head). It felt kind of lonely. I know this isn't much on topic, but it is amazing how great dolls are for companionship and mental health in general. She isn't some sex toy, she is a therapist!

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Been a crazy 12 months, having a doll and this forum has been very helpful :)

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Cam3848 wrote:Finally got the part today and I am so happy!! This weekend kind of sucked with Sydney basically not being here (no head). It felt kind of lonely. I know this isn't much on topic, but it is amazing how great dolls are for companionship and mental health in general. She isn't some sex toy, she is a therapist!
Yep, you're right on the money there. Ami means so much to me, sometimes it can get a little overwhelming.

Back on the subject of your neck bolt. Make sure you assemble it with some PTFE (plumbers) tape,(this is what I did, 4th post down,) that should stop your problem, which I suspect is 'galling'. A problem that happens with stainless steel and aluminium when mating threads are made with the same grade material. It happens at the molecular level. We used to call it 'picking up'. I would suspect that all the St St used in doll manufacture is type 304, nice and cheap, but also rusts too and galling probably has something to do with why joints sometimes tighten up.

Tyr

INFORMATIONS