Starpery.com

Another person seeking info on hand repair

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
DrDemento789
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Another person seeking info on hand repair

Post by DrDemento789 »

Probably the easiest method of teaching me is a video but I don't really see too many of those on the subject. Sarah is just 5 months old but on month 3 the back of a few wrist wires broke and her hand has been limp ever since.

She doesn't appear to have any hand plate just wires glued into her wrist. So what kind of wire does everyone suggest? Where should I make the cut in her palm? Or on the wrist? What other tools do I need?

Really hoping I can remove them without a drill and I guess jb weld is the expoxy everyone uses?

And video or guide would be helpful I read some but not confident enough to do the repair yet

Some pics of her hand and wrist right about where I'm pinching is where the wires end.
Attachments
End of wire
End of wire
20210610_132540.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 868 times
Palm
Palm
20210610_132501.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 868 times
Back hand
Back hand
20210610_132439.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 868 times
Limp wrist
Limp wrist
20210610_132428.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 868 times
My little women sure do like to dress up!
Erica
Sarah
Elizabeth
Wendy
Serenity
My Girls Instagram!

Rock13
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Another person seeking info on hand repair

Post by Rock13 »

No palm plates? You may not be able to devise a good repair strategy until you see exactly what's happening in there. The channel from her forearm to where the finger wires enter her fingers should be continuous, so you may want to feel around for the breakage and just make the smallest, straightest incision needed to access the precise spot. I've found that it's easier on wrist areas to close up a longitudinal incision than one that's transverse. If the wires are continuous into the forearm, then you may be able to pull the broken ones out through that incision and then snake some new ones all the way up into the fingers, then insert the proximal ends into the forearm. It's hard to advise you on specific materials and methods, though, and until you access the damage. I hope that some of TDF's doll repair wizards with more experience will weigh in on this.
Hadleigh is a fair-skinned WM163C/#188, Harper (#124) is a medium toned WM164D, Kendall is a fair-skinned 163C/#398. All via RLSD.

Link to Hadleigh's photo thread

Link to Harper's photo thread

Link to Kendall's photo thread

Link to the H2K Ranch

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Such petite hands :)
jb weld is kinda solid and inflexible
Arthur1960 used something with a bit of flex to avoid stress with the associated risk of failure again at that point
I don't remember what he used :whistle:

DrDemento789
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by DrDemento789 »

Rock13 wrote:No palm plates? You may not be able to devise a good repair strategy until you see exactly what's happening in there. The channel from her forearm to where the finger wires enter her fingers should be continuous, so you may want to feel around for the breakage and just make the smallest, straightest incision needed to access the precise spot. I've found that it's easier on wrist areas to close up a longitudinal incision than one that's transverse. If the wires are continuous into the forearm, then you may be able to pull the broken ones out through that incision and then snake some new ones all the way up into the fingers, then insert the proximal ends into the forearm. It's hard to advise you on specific materials and methods, though, and until you access the damage. I hope that some of TDF's doll repair wizards with more experience will weigh in on this.
I guess I could try to make a vertical cut around the break area to see if I can get any wires out that way. Still need a good suggestion on wire to use... Good idea since I could always close it up with 94 primer then wrap it until it sets.
seagull wrote:Such petite hands :)
jb weld is kinda solid and inflexible
Arthur1960 used something with a bit of flex to avoid stress with the associated risk of failure again at that point
I don't remember what he used :whistle:
Interesting your the first to say that mostly people comment on her hands being freakishly large but it's cool since she is a dwarf. If you could tell me what it was it would be a huge help.

No rush guys been careful with it so far so no wires through the wrist but it makes me sad seeing her like this.
Erica
Sarah
Elizabeth
Wendy
Serenity
My Girls Instagram!

hschade

Post by hschade »

When Natalie (a full size doll) hurt her wrist similarly I found an old wrist brace helped to keep things straight(er), and made me feel better about not accidentally getting a poke/puncture.

I've no experience w/ wires for a wrist, so I can't offer any further advice at this time. GL.
Emma -- wm157B (clone) -- Measurements and sizes
Natalie (Nat) (photos) -- Starpery 169C (Sarah) -- Measurements and sizes -- Order specs

DrDemento789
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by DrDemento789 »

So nobody with recommendation of what type of wire do you use or what type of glue could be used to at least get her back to factory standards? I know they could come loose again from the wrist I just don't want the wires in there poking the sides and making holes.
Erica
Sarah
Elizabeth
Wendy
Serenity
My Girls Instagram!

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Arthur1960 put small plastic caps on a finger wire repair
viewtopic.php?p=1579120#p1579120

DrDemento789
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by DrDemento789 »

That does put me a little closer into thinking what I need for the repair. He used 3 mm pvc coated copper stranded wire so I assume I need a smaller size probably 2 mm for my mini, brass tube, caps and Permatex to put it all together. Just need to nut up and make the first cut that way I know exactly the gauge of wire I need.
Erica
Sarah
Elizabeth
Wendy
Serenity
My Girls Instagram!

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Hi there, just saw your last post, best to keep brass tubing well away from any hand repair as it will react with the tpe. I discovered this the hard way, as have others so now I just fix the replacement wires directly into the palm plate with Permatex.

DrDemento789
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by DrDemento789 »

Arthur1960 wrote:Hi there, just saw your last post, best to keep brass tubing well away from any hand repair as it will react with the tpe. I discovered this the hard way, as have others so now I just fix the replacement wires directly into the palm plate with Permatex.
Thanks for the update! And good looking out that's one less thing I have to buy.
Erica
Sarah
Elizabeth
Wendy
Serenity
My Girls Instagram!

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Unprotected metal containing copper has reacted with all the TPE experiments so far
Electrical wire is coated with enamel protecting it from the Green sludge effect

The plastic caps that Arthur1960 used are really good insurance against pointy wire pokes

There are 3D printed hand sets available from MannequinFan

Stainless is best for skeletal bones, although a pain to work with

DrDemento789
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by DrDemento789 »

Well I know it's a month later but I finally made the initial cut and it definitely doesn't seem as bad and I thought it was. No actual breaks but they did come loose from the tubing house. Would it just be easier just to glue them back into place and then seal it up or should I go about removing the wires and putting in different wires? I guess I need to remove them so I know what kind of wire to buy. But I'll try and find some Permatex to get the wire back in the tubes.
Attachments
Separated wires
Separated wires
20210726_154831.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 603 times
Erica
Sarah
Elizabeth
Wendy
Serenity
My Girls Instagram!

DrDemento789
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by DrDemento789 »

Worked the wires free but may have stretched the opening a bit so I might have to use 94 primer paste to seal the hole. So what type of wire should I buy and caps? What's the white stuff it's wrapped in should I get that?
Attachments
Hand
Hand
20210726_163918.jpg (2.57 MiB) Viewed 600 times
Removed wires
Removed wires
20210726_163934.jpg (5.09 MiB) Viewed 600 times
Erica
Sarah
Elizabeth
Wendy
Serenity
My Girls Instagram!

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Just a guess but the white wrapping looks similar to the almost impossible to cut with a scalpel stuff used around joints, some type of glass fiber I think :whistle:

DrDemento789
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by DrDemento789 »

Well I might have screwed up already and got 12 gauge wire instead of 14 gauge wire so it might not fit in the coils. I'll try it once I get home if not it's back to the hardware store tomorrow to try again and return the Old Wire.

I also found these caps do you think they would work? They are plastic and fit 1.4mm with max width at 2.5mm. Just concerned about stretching the tpe to make room.
Attachments
Rimless screw covers
Rimless screw covers
Screenshot_20210731-130520_Samsung Internet.jpg (309.77 KiB) Viewed 538 times
Erica
Sarah
Elizabeth
Wendy
Serenity
My Girls Instagram!

INFORMATIONS