Starpery.com

Broken head bolt - oops!

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
pig_latin_lover

Broken head bolt - oops!

Post by pig_latin_lover »

I have no idea how I did this. I just noticed that, last time I unscrewed the head, it was tighter than normal. I was going to clean it today, but beofre I did I tried reattaching the head just to see if it was still tight and it appears that I broke the bolt on the head.

Here's the head bolt currently: https://ibb.co/ryNQptf

And here's what it looks like in the beck: https://ibb.co/GTMWDgV

I'm not handy at all, but I guess I'm going to have to be now. The bolt in the head is REALLY stiff. I've tried unscrewing it with a wrench multiple times but it won't budge. Any idea what's going on? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Re: Broken head bolt - oops!

Post by seagull »

Is that a quick connect fitting?
Certainly not a 16mm screw :)

matt gloss
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by matt gloss »

Hi
It looks like the connector has broken away from the gooseneck,was the connector on the body when new? and if it's a new doll contact your vendor if possible...
There are some lugs that look like they might screw onto the gooseneck,try pulling the connector out of the head as opposed to screwing it out
Good luck

Matt

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Unfortunately it looks like the top section of the goose neck has snapped off from the neck section of the skeleton. I'm presuming you had a threaded connector bolt in the head? In which case you will need to get a pair of vice grips onto the portion that's in the head to unscrew it and then if you can separate the head bolt from the bit that's broken off you will need to somehow fix it back onto the neck section. Welding will be tricky as the surrounding tpe will no doubt be damaged so you might consider using some JB Weld. I've used it a few times with broken bits of skeleton and it will work if you do it right although I've no idea if it would be strong enough to take the screwing on of the head, tbh it's the only thing I can think of aside from welding. Good luck

pig_latin_lover

Post by pig_latin_lover »

Arthur1960 wrote:Unfortunately it looks like the top section of the goose neck has snapped off from the neck section of the skeleton. I'm presuming you had a threaded connector bolt in the head? In which case you will need to get a pair of vice grips onto the portion that's in the head to unscrew it and then if you can separate the head bolt from the bit that's broken off you will need to somehow fix it back onto the neck section. Welding will be tricky as the surrounding tpe will no doubt be damaged so you might consider using some JB Weld. I've used it a few times with broken bits of skeleton and it will work if you do it right although I've no idea if it would be strong enough to take the screwing on of the head, tbh it's the only thing I can think of aside from welding. Good luck
Thank you! (and everyone else)

I'll give the JB Weld thing a shot first once I get that goose neck off the head. It's unbelievably tight on the head. Have no idea how it got lodged like that.

It did originally just have the common screw, so it must have really got screwed on tight the last time I put it on.

matt gloss
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by matt gloss »

Apologies,I got mixed up,I thought it was a quick connector..
Best

Matt

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Arthur1960 offers a good suggestion
If the JB weld doesn't hold then a steel sleeve or split tube clamped to join the two parts together should give a robust repair
While this will reduce the flexibility of the neck somewhat, some poses should still be possible

Or ram small diameter steel rod down the inside of the neck connector
This is a simpler solution but will give the doll a rigid neck

MinniMagg

Post by MinniMagg »

In an effort to get the goose-neck/threaded portion out of the head get can or 'Air duster' that people clean computer keyboards with. Put gloves on and turn the can UPSIDE DOWN. -250F liquid will come out and the ultra cold temperature 'should' shrink the metal a bit and loosen it up in the nut in the head. Then use a pipe wrench or a curved jaw locking pliers (commonly known as 'Vice Grips'). Multiple tries will not hurt anything. Remember you want to freeze the part in the nut it the head. So spray close to the skull, not just the long part of the visible portion of the goose-neck.

OR to get the portion of the goose neck off whatever is under it (Threads?) heat that with a propane torch. Heat expands metal, cold shrinks it.

INFORMATIONS