Silicone Doll Mold

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Luiskjr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Silicone Doll Mold

Post by Luiskjr »

Hi,
I once did a baby "reborn" as you know once very popular in youtube for my daughter to play, i did the mold out of a toy doll covering in silicone suitable for mold, applying release spray and filling with Platinum silicone.

For arms and legs I used dentist potassium powder and molding live arms, separate for
hands, legs and feet, then gluing them to the body with more silicone.

I still have the baby and its been 10 years now.
No skeleton but the baby arms legs and body are so flexible and stretch resistant that a skeleton is not needed.

I wonder if theres is any one here that have tried making a sex doll mold?
If I a had some sort of guideline from someone that tried it I would give it a try
maybe buying ready made skeletons and ideas for a pouring mold.

The result will never be a proffessional one, I know that, just to have a "made-it-myself"
short height to save Platinum and low weight
Im kind of like Larry David, speak my mind and that offends some but thats how I am
1965-1978 Long Pillow
1980 Inflatable
2016 Plush Doll
2020 Irontech Torso Mira
Starpery TPE 172F Wayne Winstead and Rozanne, Starpery Silicone Nathalia 165D

Mbuti Lover
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Re: Silicone Doll Mold

Post by Mbuti Lover »

People typically make a mold from a mannequin
https://youtu.be/r9xluGhwvHw

Luiskjr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Luiskjr »

jimbob22 wrote:People typically make a mold from a mannequin
Thanks Jimbob22
Tou know I knew this french video since 2010 in the original author channel. Then he deleted his channel and I couldnt find it anymore.
Apparently some asian guy in 2015 re-uploaded the tutorial. Very useful.

I wonder if there are dollforum members that made a sillicone home-made doll?
Im kind of like Larry David, speak my mind and that offends some but thats how I am
1965-1978 Long Pillow
1980 Inflatable
2016 Plush Doll
2020 Irontech Torso Mira
Starpery TPE 172F Wayne Winstead and Rozanne, Starpery Silicone Nathalia 165D

Mbuti Lover
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Mbuti Lover »

Luiskjr wrote:
jimbob22 wrote:People typically make a mold from a mannequin
Thanks Jimbob22
Tou know I knew this french video since 2010 in the original author channel. Then he deleted his channel and I couldnt find it anymore.
Apparently some asian guy in 2015 re-uploaded the tutorial. Very useful.

I wonder if there are dollforum members that made a sillicone home-made doll?
I am working on making one from a mold now (see my "Mbuti" thread). There are many on home made dolls as modifications of mannequins etc. I think one guy printed one out using a 3d printer and then reassembled it. But that seemed to me like a massive undertaking, so I am just making from clay right now and then I will make plaster mold and cast from there.

I think the silicone with plaster mother mold is most common these days (like the French video) but I am hoping the clay will pull out of the plaster and I can get away without the silicone part.

How were your experiences with a reborn? I don't see how it would be any different, do you?

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

I think there has been one member of TDF that got into making dolls for sale, but they were made out of latex.

Mid to full size Silicone dolls generally have a foam core to reduce weight and use less silicone. Production line dolls are cast in fiberglass molds. Assuming you have a workshop and all the equipment to make a doll mold, foam core mold, skeleton, etc, etc. The first doll will probably cost you about $4K and a lot of time. If you have the time & $$$ that's cool, but this set up cost is usually why someone sets up to make dolls for $$ vs just a OOAK custom doll.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Mbuti Lover
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Mbuti Lover »

rubherkitty wrote:I think there has been one member of TDF that got into making dolls for sale, but they were made out of latex.

Mid to full size Silicone dolls generally have a foam core to reduce weight and use less silicone. Production line dolls are cast in fiberglass molds. Assuming you have a workshop and all the equipment to make a doll mold, foam core mold, skeleton, etc, etc. The first doll will probably cost you about $4K and a lot of time. If you have the time & $$$ that's cool, but this set up cost is usually why someone sets up to make dolls for $$ vs just a OOAK custom doll.
Hi, Rubberkitty! I have been reading your comments with great interest. If one did want to add other materials in the mold prior to pouring the silicone so as reduce the amount of silicone, aside from foam, what other materials would be good choices, which wouldn't interfere with the cure of the silicone?

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Thanks, but I'm not a silicone expert.

I think most foam is urethane, but that can mess with silicone.
I believe Doll Sweet applies some type of plastic membrane over their foam. Not sure if this is sprayed, brushed on, etc or actual sheeting of some type? Plastic food wrap? :lol:

I know that Ruby13 Dolls cast the foam around their skeletons the size of the actual doll or close too, then they cut away the foam. Not sure if they use the same mold foam the foam & silicone pour or separate molds?
I pulled this pic from a thread where R13 discusses trimming the foam. IIRC, by cutting the foams smooth surface, they open the foams air bubble pores so the silicone can adhere to it better.

Pic courtesy of Ruby13
Attachments
doll ruby13 foam core.jpg
doll ruby13 foam core.jpg (103.58 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Mbuti Lover
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Mbuti Lover »

rubherkitty wrote:...I think most foam is urethane, but that can mess with silicone....
Hi, thanks for the info on foam, I had seen where foam is problematic, I was just wondering if there is any other material, like resin or vinyl or who knows what, that would be cheaper than silicone, or maybe could be used to make hollow forms or something, to reduce the amount of silicone? I suppose the typical metal skeletons reduce to some extent, but they are heavy and maybe not ideal.
I suppose that by using fins or hollow areas that the silicone could pass through and around it would be possible to mechanically joint the silicone even if it doesn't chemically bond with other materials? Maybe someone else has tried using other materials in the past. I suppose just hollow areas could reduce the amount/weight/cost of silicone.

chachacast

Post by chachacast »

I seen a video of sinthetics brushing the foam completely with probably a thickened silicone. Probably used something like tinthix

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

chachacast wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:35 am I seen a video of sinthetics brushing the foam completely with probably a thickened silicone. Probably used something like tinthix
Thanks for the info.
It could have been a silicone base layer than is unaffected by urethane.
I know that Brick in the Yard supply carries a special silicone like that.

Witchetty
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by Witchetty »

Mbuti Lover wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:12 am People typically make a mold from a mannequin
This is what I've tried and it works for small things, but rubherkitty is correct in that the whole process is *very* expensive, you'd pay as much or more to do this than to just buy a professional doll. I'm currently looking into cheaper ways around it but haven't found much yet - the silicone needed for the molding process is the most expensive part so far. I've looked into other compounds but cheaper rubbers tend to be more difficult to work with and not as reliable.

INFORMATIONS