betterlovedoll.com

TDF upgrade 2022 questions and reports

This forum is devoted SOLELY to questions and answers regarding how to use the forum and other features of the "The Doll Forum" website. Questions or help regarding dolls should be posted elsewhere. Bug reports can also all be found here. If you encounter a bug, this is where to address it.
Kite
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: TDF upgrade 2022 questions and reports

Post by Kite »

Dark Knight wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:08 pm I posted a doll for sale today, April 19th, at 3:15pm. It is now 8pm EST and still hasn't been approved. I don't remember it taking this long before. What's up?
Just approved it. I got slammed at work so wasnt able to take breaks and check sales like normal.

Dark Knight
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Dark Knight »

Okay. Thanks.
Don't drive angry!

john1972
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by john1972 »

I can no longer upload "Some" photos that I have already uploaded to the forum before..
I keep getting errors saying some of them are too large ..
I checked and the actual file size is smaller then the previous one I uploaded lol.
And if it thinks the pixel size is too big all of the photos are the same size..
Why change this?
Any ideas?

Tsall
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Tsall »

Why do you upload images that you uploaded before? Please link to the previously uploaded pics, no need to upload them again.
Can you link to one of the previously uploaded pics that you can't upload any more? Or tell us the exact file size, file type and image dimensions. I can then have a look what is going on.

In general: Please do not upload pics as they are coming out of the camera or phone. Those images are heavily oversized.
Mara (Dreamdoll Tania) - holiday trip (outdoor photos) and introduction
Lucia (Passiondolls 160cm Muscle Doll) - introduction and photos
Keira (Phicen Arhian Pirate) - outdoor adventures

john1972
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by john1972 »

Tsall wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:55 am Why do you upload images that you uploaded before? Please link to the previously uploaded pics, no need to upload them again.
Can you link to one of the previously uploaded pics that you can't upload any more? Or tell us the exact file size, file type and image dimensions. I can then have a look what is going on.

In general: Please do not upload pics as they are coming out of the camera or phone. Those images are heavily oversized.
I had to downsize the pixel size yet again in order to post so something for sure changed.
And I have already downgraded the files as there would be no way at all possible to upload a photo from my camera directly to this forum lol.
The math when I calculated it before the changes to the forum direct to forum photos come out to around 11MP ... A ten dollar yard sale camera
can produce larger sized photos then 11MP.
Of course it is not always about the MP sizes anyway when dealing with internet social media type forums and such.
But It says 100Mib limit so I am guessing that changed?
I understand the probably millions of photos that are stored on the server take up tons of space but when the forum "Upgraded" it should probably
have actually "Upgraded" allowing for even slightly larger photo sizes to be uploaded without having to do tricks to get around it.
Also even with photos at around or under the OLD 4128X4128 pixel size the photos appeared smaller in size on my screen and now they are huge
so again something changed there too.
I am thinking maybe the old forum was checking the Pixel size and now it is checking the file size instead.
It is strange how photos work but one photo of the exact size Pixel count can be and is often different file sizes.
Also if I had to spend hours searching down photos that I posted before and copy the URLs to them it would take me ages to repost these.
I will have to figure out how to post my photos to the Doll Album method so they are all in one spot and get the URLs there I guess..
It would be very cool if there was like a built in system in the forum when you upload a photo that could be accessed with a drop down menu
or something to re select already uploaded files from yourself.
Or a way to detect redundant files on the server.

Tsall
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Tsall »

We didn't lower the maximum pixel size. But we reduced the maximum file size of jpg, png file types to 12 MB. We had a look at previously uploaded images and there where just a very small percentage bigger than 12 MB. Other files like gif are still allowed to be 100 MB and therefore the attachment upload says that 100 MB is allowed. :( It's adjusted now.

Uploaded images are smaller because the system generates a smaller thumbnail. That was max 600x600 pixel before the upgrade and we changed it to 1080x1080 pixels with the upgrade. You have to click on the image to load the full size image. Like in the old system.

It's not (only) about disk space usage. It's about download speed too. Exporting a jpg at 95% quality gives a lot smaller file but the visible quality is almost the same.

EDIT:
I like your idea of a list or drop down with previously uploaded files/images.

itashaLover
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by itashaLover »

Views counter now shows image loads and not unique views as earlier (i.e. unique viewers counter).
Now I can refresh page and it increments every time.
Can you please fix (revert) this to make it informative again?

Tsall
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Tsall »

I had a look at the code, it is unchanged. Old and new system count views exactly the same way.

Just mentioned, it is impossible to count unique views. For registered users it could be done by storing who viewed what. Wuld be a big table in the database. For guests it is pure guessing. Several people can be behind the same IP, people come back days later from a different IP, etc. Cookies will not help as they can be deleted and browser fingerprinting is an evil things that we better not think about.

In my opinion feedback from members tells much better if people like what someone is posting.

itashaLover
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by itashaLover »

Thank you for spending your time and looking into that.
I must be wrong then.
But I have a strong feeling that counter couldn't be incremented by a simple page refresh in previous forum version. And cookies would have worked as a simple solution in such case, people usually don't close their browsers/clear history for some extended period of time.
Tsall wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:59 am I had a look at the code, it is unchanged. Old and new system count views exactly the same way.

Just mentioned, it is impossible to count unique views. For registered users it could be done by storing who viewed what. Wuld be a big table in the database. For guests it is pure guessing. Several people can be behind the same IP, people come back days later from a different IP, etc. Cookies will not help as they can be deleted and browser fingerprinting is an evil things that we better not think about.

In my opinion feedback from members tells much better if people like what someone is posting.

Tsall
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Tsall »

I had a closer look and I'm almost sure we found a bug. Fixed.

YungSynth
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by YungSynth »

Umm.. are pics suddenly looking super huge to anyone else viewing on a phone?

Tsall
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Tsall »

Sorry, I moved some style sheets and for a short moment they where incorrect. Should be corrected now.
(It worked without trouble in my test system.)

itashaLover
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by itashaLover »

Tsall wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:40 pmI had a closer look and I'm almost sure we found a bug. Fixed.
If that's about my report then unfortunately no, fix didn't work: I still can increment attachment views counter by a simple page refresh.

Tsall
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Tsall »

ItashaLover, I never quote the previous post. So yes, that was meant towards your report.

I compared old and new system when viewing a topic and the new system did count up while the old didn't That is fixed.
Example: The Passenger for my Itasha (link to topic)

Now that you say it isn't fixed for you I asked myself why. Are you viewing a specific post?
Example: The Passenger for my Itasha (link to a specific post)
I did another test in in that case old and new system count up by refreshing the page. :(

EDIT: Fixed, refreshing the page while viewing a post via post link will no longer raise the view counter.

serge
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by serge »

Great upgrade !!
TDF getting the lead !!
But a small prob I've notice
We can't "center" the video ...