Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Real X AI or real ripoff?

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

KKFun

Re: Real X AI or real ripoff?

Post by KKFun »

PersianKat wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:01 pm
KKFun wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:44 pm I have 2 robotic Harmony heads, as far as I know, the last update of the app was like 3-4 years ago. I need to switch off all the WIFI just to prevent the phone from doing a firmware upgrade, doing so, the existing app might not work anymore.

In any case, the last time I switched on the robotic heads was more than 6 months ago.
Is there a way to at least get the eyes open? I am assuming that forcing them open isn't a good option or is it safe to do so?
I just received the doll haven't gotten the app to work.
It is a good idea to contact Abyss technical support to get the App working really. And Good luck with the new adventures. :glou:

anonymousdfuser

Post by anonymousdfuser »

PersianKat wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:01 pm
KKFun wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:44 pm I have 2 robotic Harmony heads, as far as I know, the last update of the app was like 3-4 years ago. I need to switch off all the WIFI just to prevent the phone from doing a firmware upgrade, doing so, the existing app might not work anymore.

In any case, the last time I switched on the robotic heads was more than 6 months ago.
Is there a way to at least get the eyes open? I am assuming that forcing them open isn't a good option or is it safe to do so?
I just received the doll haven't gotten the app to work.
Do not force the eyes open as it will damage the servos.
Zelex 170C Inspiration Series

RealDoll Body AA with Harmony head - retired, most likely will sell

chippyminton

Post by chippyminton »

This thread is the exact reason why I won't be pursuing any form of AI or robotics for the time being. The technology is still in its infancy, and is still not proven to be either reliable or easy to operate. I actually see a lot of parallels with EV's - sure, Tesla have got it right - but at a stratospheric price. Other manufacturers are offering 'me too' EV platforms which, in many cases, don't come anywhere near close to being all-day-every-day usable for anyone who wants to drive further than the school and back to drop the kids off. The time will come when both technologies are reliable, usable - and affordable. I'll wait until then. Just my 2 cents.

Brick

Post by Brick »

chippyminton wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:13 am This thread is the exact reason why I won't be pursuing any form of AI or robotics for the time being. The technology is still in its infancy, and is still not proven to be either reliable or easy to operate. I actually see a lot of parallels with EV's - sure, Tesla have got it right - but at a stratospheric price. Other manufacturers are offering 'me too' EV platforms which, in many cases, don't come anywhere near close to being all-day-every-day usable for anyone who wants to drive further than the school and back to drop the kids off. The time will come when both technologies are reliable, usable - and affordable. I'll wait until then. Just my 2 cents.
Too bad, because they are soooo much fun 8)
IMG_1205.jpg
IMG_1205.jpg (481.73 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
IMG_1206.jpg
IMG_1206.jpg (505.26 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
IMG_1200.jpg
IMG_1200.jpg (365.78 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
IMG_1199.jpg
IMG_1199.jpg (350.89 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
IMG_1196.jpg
IMG_1196.jpg (385.44 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
IMG_1197.jpg
IMG_1197.jpg (393.34 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
IMG_1201.jpg
IMG_1201.jpg (372.95 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
A never ending parade of beautiful Realdolls and of course, HARMONY!!

anonymousdfuser

Brick wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:33 am Too bad, because they are soooo much fun 8)
If, and only if, you have the robot head. Still haven't gotten mine back from Abyss....

They said it would ship around three weeks ago, and still nothing. I was only able to get an update about a week ago that it would ship that week. And that was only after calling them multiple times a day for a few days in a row. And has the head shipped? Nope!

anonymousdfuser

I got the head back, and it still has the issue with the discoloration above the eyes....

That was one of the two issues I reported to them. I have no idea why Abyss decided to not resolve it.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

anonymousdfuser wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:39 pm I got the head back, and it still has the issue with the discoloration above the eyes....

That was one of the two issues I reported to them. I have no idea why Abyss decided to not resolve it.
It honestly does not look like discoloration form what you showed me. That it seems it is due to that you opted for no eye make up but got customized freckles and maybe other options on her face I am not aware of. Are the colors slightly different? Yes, but I do not think it is a discoloration or defect. Brick might know more, as he has been to the factory.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

anonymousdfuser

TJ_Foxx wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:05 am
anonymousdfuser wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:39 pm I got the head back, and it still has the issue with the discoloration above the eyes....

It honestly does not look like discoloration form what you showed me. That it seems it is due to that you opted for no eye make up but got customized freckles and maybe other options on her face I am not aware of. Are the colors slightly different? Yes, but I do not think it is a discoloration or defect. Brick might know more, as he has been to the factory.
I've asked him and I'm waiting for a reply. My concern is that there's an abrupt transition from the skin color to the color above the eye. It looks very strange in person. And I do not remember seeing that when I originally got the head.

rubyfan
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by rubyfan »

I think Abyss jumped the gun by a couple of years with their AI/robotics dolls. With the major advances going on with technologies like ChatGPT and Replika, AI has really matured and left the original Realbotix AI in the dust. The robotic head was perhaps a bit more worthwhile as a research project, but the pricing was simply too high for all but a tiny set of customers.

Pretty sure we are going to get some amazing fembots over the next decade but I'm doubtful they will be from Abyss. Maybe they will still surprise us but have not been hearing good things from or about the company for a couple of years now. Not sure what happened as they seemed to be doing great for awhile.
"Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."—H.L. Mencken

KKFun

Post by KKFun »

I noticed there is a very good review about realdoll below. Really worth checking it out.

viewtopic.php?t=163916

Khaossinua

Post by Khaossinua »

for her price, she should not only talk and move her head, but also give the best blowjob in the world

frankinstien

Post by frankinstien »

rubyfan wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:09 am I think Abyss jumped the gun by a couple of years with their AI/robotics dolls. With the major advances going on with technologies like ChatGPT and Replika, AI has really matured and left the original Realbotix AI in the dust. The robotic head was perhaps a bit more worthwhile as a research project, but the pricing was simply too high for all but a tiny set of customers.

Pretty sure we are going to get some amazing fembots over the next decade but I'm doubtful they will be from Abyss. Maybe they will still surprise us but have not been hearing good things from or about the company for a couple of years now. Not sure what happened as they seemed to be doing great for awhile.
True all the technology for a local server based solution is possible right now, it's just not user friendly.

There are two problems with what McMullen did in his approach to integrating robotics, AI and dolls. McMullen should have focused on his expertise which is doll making. He then should have standardized his animatronics and opened it up to open source development. Instead he tried to be all things and lacked expertise in software development. Rather than go with a chatbot firm that was out of date and for all intents and purposes obsolete, he should have made bridges with virtual reality firms inclusive of haptic suits and AR glasses. The reason: The robotics industry is primarily about industrial robots, everything else is a toy! So, without economies of scale to bring down the costs of parts for robotics and the application as a humanoid implementation costs are going to be astronomical. Literally, those bots that have the realism of facial expressions cost over half a million dollars!

With that said, McMullen should have focused on a two tier approach:

Tier 1: A soft body with standardized head mounting and new bodies with tactile sensors.
Tier 2: A hard body that could with stand the rigors of real environments.
  • a. Because hard bodies don't have good solutions yet alternative approaches are required, like:
    • 1. Virtualization of robotic bodies using real engine or unity
      2. Integrating new doll bodies' sensors with AI
      3. Implement an AR glasses solution

This way McMullen would retain the control and focus on improving process for what he does best, the art, which are the bodies and animatronic heads. Look at the PC in comparison to the Apple Mac. The Macs where closed systems and everything had to be approved by Apple before it could be a solution for Mac owners. The PC was wide open, literally the wild west, anything goes. The amount of development and choice of solutions for the PC in comparison to Mac was dramatic!

What makes Realdoll Realdoll is its approach to details, realism and even durability, which is McMullen expertise. The company now suffers because it lacks expertise in technologies it never was a leader in. This is why IBM made the PC architecture so flexible there were too many unknown unknowns in terms of tools, hardware peripherals and even deliverable frameworks. When in that mode focus on what you know and let others work out the problems they have a vision for...
Last edited by TJ_Foxx on Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed link to other retail sites and unauthorized website

Brick

Post by Brick »

What Matt did, was give you the most realistic and price friendly SEXBOT on the market in 2017, when I got my first Harmony to test. And its still the most realistic and price friendly for a SEXBOT, that can have a realistic orgasms and limited discourse. I watched and was physically involved with that development. No one on this thread really knows what they are talking about. I am not disparaging anyone, thats just a fact. Until you actually get involved with the development of an AI Robot, financially and mechanically. You know nothing. Harmony has been out there for about 6 yrs and I don't see anything like her on the market yet. If what you think can be done, why hasn't it? Because its not fiscally or mechanically viable. And it won't be for at least a couple decades from now......maybe!

I think people seem to forget what Harmony's primary function is and that she fulfills it beautifully...

Brick

Post by Brick »

IMG_3168.jpg
IMG_3168.jpg (228.48 KiB) Viewed 670 times
IMG_3167.jpg
IMG_3167.jpg (219.16 KiB) Viewed 670 times
IMG_3166.jpg
IMG_3166.jpg (223.2 KiB) Viewed 670 times

jca
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jca »

given how much AI has advanced in just the past year or two, it seems like a concept that was accidentally rushed to market/released too soon in hindsight

hopefully they've been using some of this time to work on a 2.0 with the newer technologies available today

INFORMATIONS