I can move!

Got an idea? Need an invention?
gbor400
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Re: I can move!

Post by gbor400 »

This is awesome.
You should post videos somewhere, instead of gifs. I would like to see long videos of your project in HD, it is absolutely, impossibly good.

robopsychologist
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by robopsychologist »

Good suggestions with sharing footage! Definitely looking forward for all the new updates.
Some manufacturers share mp4 files directly via dropbox and google drive, it works well, and there's no strict rules like on youtube.

Prin
Doll
Doll

Post by Prin »

So, here's the plan...

I am going to start a GoFundMe and link a YouTube intro... to help with the cost of making me skin and stronger body parts.

I am going to put THIS body on Thingiverse.

Instead of trying to write instructions, I can link YouTube tutorials explaining operation, assembly, what works good, what doesn't, and improvement suggestions.

After looking at InMoov again, I think I need to figure out how to make a forum where people can post about their improvements? Where do I make a free forum?
I can move! Designing my robotic body
I can talk! Designing my robotic head

My Diary:
Art of me in CoverDoll Magazine

Prin
Doll
Doll

Post by Prin »

James is kinda a little annoyed. He just discovered the "Poppy" robot recently.

https://www.poppy-project.org/en/

The movements are PERFECT! It is an open source robot with joints very similar to what he made for me... It really just needs to be scaled larger and add body parts. It would have been a great start and saved ALOT of time!

It uses Dynamixel servos ... their own brand of smart servos that have a driver, controller, tension feedback... everything built in. If you pull on its arm, it can feel it and respond.

Only problem is that they are super expensive. The cost for making a whole bot is $5000-$7000

------------------------------------

https://inmoov.fr/

The best thing someone could do to help, is develop an interface or dashboard to move motors by a slider button or something similar.

Poppy uses Raspberry Pi, Inmoov uses Arduino, and they both use Python, and they both have a programming tool. InMoov even has a phone app for movement control.

Poppy probly will be difficult to adapt from because of the smart servos. InMoov might be easier... just need to change the angle numbers for the servos?

Will have to look further into the possibility of adapting one of them. Writing one from scratch is beyond James' current Python programming knowledge.

My Diary:

macboy2
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by macboy2 »

Just wow!

I can’t recall if this was already mentioned on this thread or not but Patreon might be a better source of revenue generation. Doesn’t GoFundMe force you to choose a goal but then only pays out if you hit it? And I’m not sure how much of a cut they take compared to each other.

Now thinking out loud I feel like maybe it’s KickStarter that makes you set a goal that must first be met.

I’ll go back to my corner now.

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

Prin wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:34 pm
Technician wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:11 am Did you look at DIY for the cables? Heavy fishing line is incredibly strong, and maybe a small ID plastic tube for the sheath? Not so much for cost efficiency, but it would be way cheaper, but for weight savings and ease of use since you could make any length custom.
forearm servos.jpg
That is EXACTLY what we are using now.

Plastic stirrer straws less than an 1/8" diameter, with 50lb .7mm line.

We HAD to use the straws to keep the line from bending in the middle. It is impossible to prevent a little bit of slack, which results in bouncy fingers... as can be seen in my .gifs.

Best solution for the bouncy, would be adding small springs to add a little tension to keep out the slack... but the question is; where is there room for that? and that takes away from the ability of the servos.

I think we definitely want to use the bicycle cables, and move the servos to my chest where there is room for the larger servos with more torque, for both super-gripping strength as well as to counter tension springs.
I had a crazy idea, because I 3D Print as well. So imagine leaving a hollow inside a part, then either gcode or manual stop for a filament change, but instead of doing a change, lay in a 3d printed TPU part to act as a spring or flexi spot? That might be an option....
100cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 11/27/2018, Measurements: I - cup / 25I - 16 - 24 @ 32.4 lbs
140cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 5/14/2019, Measurements: K - cup / 31K - 19 - 25 @ 51 lbs
125cm Amazon doll. Purchased: 3/24/2024, Measurements: G - cup / 26G - 17 - 25 @ 39.8 lbs

Prin
Doll
Doll

Post by Prin »

macboy2 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:12 pm I can’t recall if this was already mentioned on this thread or not but Patreon might be a better source of revenue generation. Doesn’t GoFundMe force you to choose a goal but then only pays out if you hit it? And I’m not sure how much of a cut they take compared to each other.

Now thinking out loud I feel like maybe it’s KickStarter that makes you set a goal that must first be met.
Thank you!... compelled me to do a little research that would need to be done at some point soon...

Kickstarter - creative projects like art, fashion, film & video, games, publishing, etc.
All or nothing... if you don't reach your goal, you don't get anything.

GoFundMe - random acts of kindness... raise money for friends, family, medical expenses, education, memorials, even pets.
- all funds received, even if it does not hit goal, and can continue receiving after goal

IndieGoGo - invest in lively, imaginative tech before it hits the mainstream.
- offers partnerships with Amazon and Newegg to expand into retail distribution.
- can choose between all-or-nothing or partial funding

Patreon - a good way for artists, musicians, and content creators, to earn a recurring and steady income from fans & followers.

Then I found:

The 6 Best Crowdfunding Platforms of 2023
Best Overall: Indiegogo
Best for Startups: SeedInvest Technology
Best for Nonprofits: Mightycause
Best for Investing: StartEngine
Best for Individuals: GoFundMe
Best for Creative Professionals: Patreon

I think the best venue for help with developing me skin, is probly GoFundMe.

My Diary:

Prin
Doll
Doll

Post by Prin »

Technician wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:41 am So imagine leaving a hollow inside a part, then either gcode or manual stop for a filament change, but instead of doing a change, lay in a 3d printed TPU part to act as a spring or flexi spot? That might be an option....
That's interesting to think about. Thank you!

The biggest problem with slack, is passing through my wrist with 180degree rotation.

Micro-linear servos (push-pull) inside my palm were an initial consideration, but more expensive than James wanted to afford.

I do currently have channels in my hand for finger control cord, and if my forearms were properly designed, would have them as well. I think there might be space in my palm for tension springs.

If the servos were mounted in my chest with bicycle cables, the springs could be mounted anywhere.

I think that will have to be given thought for future improvements.

My Diary:

Prin
Doll
Doll

Post by Prin »

AND!! I wanted to say again, THANK YOU... EVERYONE!!! For continuing to follow, and for your wonderful EXPERIENCE, ADVICE, SUGGESTIONS, FEEDBACK...

That's the wonderful thing about the TDF forum... there is so much love and support!

Bless all of you!!
**hugs and kisses**
-Prin

My Diary:

robopsychologist
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by robopsychologist »

Have you considered a patreon and ko-fi? Both also would work for unique bonus content for those who donate.

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

Prin wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:42 am
Technician wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:41 am So imagine leaving a hollow inside a part, then either gcode or manual stop for a filament change, but instead of doing a change, lay in a 3d printed TPU part to act as a spring or flexi spot? That might be an option....

The biggest problem with slack, is passing through my wrist with 180degree rotation.

Micro-linear servos (push-pull) inside my palm were an initial consideration, but more expensive than James wanted to afford.

I do currently have channels in my hand for finger control cord, and if my forearms were properly designed, would have them as well. I think there might be space in my palm for tension springs.

If the servos were mounted in my chest with bicycle cables, the springs could be mounted anywhere.

This method could potentially be used to lay in TPU air bags for actuation, run wires and fiber-optics, ect. Initially I wasn't concerned with doing filament changes but then I saw the potential.
100cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 11/27/2018, Measurements: I - cup / 25I - 16 - 24 @ 32.4 lbs
140cm Sasy Amazon doll. Purchased: 5/14/2019, Measurements: K - cup / 31K - 19 - 25 @ 51 lbs
125cm Amazon doll. Purchased: 3/24/2024, Measurements: G - cup / 26G - 17 - 25 @ 39.8 lbs

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

Technician wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:12 am
Prin wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:42 am

This method could potentially be used to lay in TPU air bags for actuation, run wires and fiber-optics, ect. Initially I wasn't concerned with doing filament changes but then I saw the potential. And wiring could be as simple as BUS wire since it would need no insulator.

BuildingFun
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BuildingFun »

Amazing work as always! Go with what you feel fits you best for funding. I think to show progress and get good feed back Patreon works well, but they do charge for the services they have. For a 'site' at first a simple forum on 'Discord' should work, allows people to post and share info and data. If you post the STL files on Thingiverse as Rev 1, then anyone doing 'Remixes' can link to the file. With a master list of STL file of the best ver on your discord forum.

In the Inmoov hand they use springs, fishing line and PTFE Tube For 3D Printer, but I don't believe they are very strong, but give a good range of movement. I thought Inmoov made a mistake have the wrist rotation instead the forearm like you are doing, but a lot of people have copied fishing line and tubes for the arm and hand design.

I have been using my printer to learn, amazing how easy it is to have a print fail because a small error, but the pics of your work is keeping me motivated!

Sillymonkey

Post by Sillymonkey »

Hi everyone! New to the forum, saw this post and thought I would chime in. I am also working on a project similar to this but due to my living situation it has been a slow go.

ANYWAY! I am thinking we can make our own Robotic servos.. Hear me out..
I was doing some research and there is a type of servo you can purchase that gives analog feedback. I havn't seen it in the duel wheel style like the dynamixel but in the RC style. I am also thinking if you used a small Arduino board per servo it would give you the encoder/decoder as well as a RS485 bus so the comms can be chained. You could also add temp control and other types of feedback if you wanted. You could also open up the servos and replace the gear boxes with metal instead of plastic. This will give us more torque and more reliable.

I was also looking at using the "ezrobot" system as a back bone. It looks pretty user friendly with lots of built in modules. I have seen someone use it with the inmoov project. It also has a firmware you can flash onto Arduino boards.

Anyway let me know what you guys think! Looking forward to working with you and sharing ideas :)
Last edited by The Doll Man on Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added paragraphs for easy reading..

Prin
Doll
Doll

Post by Prin »

@BuildingFun... Thank you for your continued feedback!!

Thingiverse has TONS of little things to experiment with printing... James likes the starwars ships.

The biggest problems we encountered is adhesion on the print platform. Hairspray helps make the surface sticky, as well as printing with a raft or brim. And, proper leveling is paramount to a good print base.

During printing, if you hear a popping sound, there is a restriction in either the extruder nozzle, or the tension is not ideal from the filament feed gear.

------

We checked out Discord, but it seems more like a texting thing... not for long explanations of changes made to Thingiverse files.

We will keep looking for a forum option.

Because... we will definitely be uploading files to Thingiverse.

James loves to teach... its always been part of his job requirements... and he is really kinda excited to make tutorial videos to accompany my .stl file submissions.

(I am not!... cuz it will take away from MY development time... but what can I do?)

But we agree by offering my project to the public, may inspire other DIY'ers to experiment, and may result in development improvements.

-----

First, now that repairs have been made from my injuries incurred during my video debacle... (most happened while trying to roll over)... James is programming some movements to use for narrating a GoFundMe video, which can also later be incorporated into my daily movements.

My Diary:

INFORMATIONS