Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Abyss falling behind?

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: Abyss falling behind?

Post by TJ_Foxx »

So, you found something from over 8 years ago. Interesting how things change in almost a decade.
anonymousdfuser wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:23 am
Matt McMullen from Abyss said that.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/06 ... x-dolls-2/

"You can look at even the best of my dolls, and you can still tell that it's a doll. And I want to keep in that arena ... If you keep it far enough away from super-realism, I think you're in safer territory."
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

lexico wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:52 am
anonymousdfuser wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:23 am Matt McMullen from Abyss said that.

"You can look at even the best of my dolls, and you can still tell that it's a doll. And I want to keep in that arena ... If you keep it far enough away from super-realism, I think you're in safer territory."
I don't doubt that this is a goal for Abyss. But I disagree with this myself. Give me a doll that gets all the way to absolute realism, if you can. I can handle it!

This quote is from over 8 years ago. Let’s keep that in perspective, being almost a decade ago.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

DocWen
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by DocWen »

TJ_Foxx wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:38 am
anonymousdfuser wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:23 am Matt McMullen from Abyss said that.

I don't doubt that this is a goal for Abyss. But I disagree with this myself. Give me a doll that gets all the way to absolute realism, if you can. I can handle it!

This quote is from over 8 years ago. Let’s keep that in perspective, being almost a decade ago.
Ugh. First draft read waaaay ruder than was intended. Let me try again:

The other dude mentioned that he remembered Matt saying something. You asked for proof and then got seemingly upset when he couldn't remember. Now they delivered it.

That was something from a long time ago and most likely no longer pertains. But it's still what you asked for.
---
DocWen
Never give up! Never surrender! - Jason Nesmith
Proud companion of Etsuko (MLW 148b) and Anjelica (XT Doll 163F)
Previous companion of SE Doll 151e, WM 157b, Piper Doll Phoebe, Piper Doll Phoebe Elf, another WM 157b, Zelex 155c, Happy Doll Dagmar and a few others I don't recall.

lexico

Post by lexico »

Hey Again,

I think this starts to get into the hazy realm of attractions and preferences, which is kind of endless...

Looking over pretty much every doll company represented here on TDF, we can see some people saying "oh, beautiful," and others saying "not for me."

Whether you find RealDolls totally appealing or not, all we're doing is expressing our opinions about that fuzzy line of "feminine" and "masculine" in a doll. In my case, I'm only commenting on the "trans male" thing out of fun and humor.
One of the first owners of a Real Doll (1997).
Currently no doll, but here are my "finalists": FanReal, Real Lady, XYColo, Zelex SLE.
If you have information to share, send me a PM!

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

DocWen wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:16 am

The other dude mentioned that he remembered Matt saying something. You asked for proof and then got seemingly upset when he couldn't remember. Now they delivered it.

That was something from a long time ago and most likely no longer pertains. But it's still what you asked for.
Upset? No. Just doing my job as a moderator making sure that when people make claims they are accurate and supported. Rule 10.

Is there a reason you chime in here & the contact thread about Abyss? I don’t recall you sharing any actual knowledge or experience with them. It appears you just like to dance on the borders of rules 3,4,5 & 10 .
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

anonymousdfuser

Post by anonymousdfuser »

TJ_Foxx wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:30 am So, you found something from over 8 years ago. Interesting how things change in almost a decade.
anonymousdfuser wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:23 am
Matt McMullen from Abyss said that.

Yes, and it took me less than 5 minutes of Googling it. Doesn't matter when Matt said it. He still said it. All I did is provide the source you were asking for.
Zelex 170C Inspiration Series

RealDoll Body AA with Harmony head - retired, most likely will sell

anonymousdfuser

Post by anonymousdfuser »

TJ_Foxx wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:38 am
DocWen wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:16 am

Upset? No. Just doing my job as a moderator making sure that when people make claims they are accurate and supported. Rule 10.

Is there a reason you chime in here & the contact thread about Abyss? I don’t recall you sharing any actual knowledge or experience with them. It appears you just like to dance on the borders of rules 3,4,5 & 10 .
Honestly, to me it seems that you are being overly and unnecessarily sensitive about this. Nobody here is making "claims" about RD. Someone said that Matt had previously said that RD doesn't strive for absolute realism. You wanted proof of it. I remembered Matt saying it, spent less than 5 minutes Googling it, and provided the proof. Whether or not it is from 8 years ago is irrelevant. He said it, and that's what matters. Whether or not it's still true, who knows. But the relevant thing is that Matt said it.

At least in my opinion, not much has changed regarding how "realistic" the dolls are. I've been following Abyss for a very long time, and I haven't seen any noticeable changes in those 8 years regarding small details in the dolls.
Zelex 170C Inspiration Series

RealDoll Body AA with Harmony head - retired, most likely will sell

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

It’s all very interesting. The topic is “Abyss falling behind”. A claim was presented regarding the direction of the company. It is on the person making the claim to support it. It was very nice of you to find that using Google. He & I were done with it & moved on. If you haven’t seen anything different about the details in the dolls over the last 8-10 you aren’t looking very closely. We have discussed them extensively here. Maybe you can try using Google again?

:glou:
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

4891d
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by 4891d »

To return to the topic started by the OP, does anyone know if there is a thread on TDF where a member shows his RealDollX doll in operation?
Out of curiosity, I would like to see how this works. I've already seen a video of another robotic face on TDF, but never a RealDoll. So if anyone has any info (or, even better, a link), I'm interested.

Links to 4891d's dolls-stories. : viewtopic.php?t=156068
Saaskiya, my beautiful gift (Zelex GE04) : viewtopic.php?t=154462
Trixie came to me (Funwest Dolls Trixie) : viewtopic.php?t=155900
Eurydice, a nice surprise (Elsa Babe RHC019)

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

4891d wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:23 pm
To return to the topic started by the OP, does anyone know if there is a thread on TDF where a member shows his RealDollX doll in operation?
Out of curiosity, I would like to see how this works. I've already seen a video of another robotic face on TDF, but never a RealDoll. So if anyone has any info (or, even better, a link), I'm interested.

Brick has shown his RDx’s multiple times in various threads
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

Gaijin
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Gaijin »

So, what I've gathered from all this is that Abyss has terrible customer feedback and communication. Their dolls can cost 2-5 times what other silicone dolls on the market do with similar features. However, if we as TDF members and potential future customers of Abyss' products ask if that price is justified, if those $10k dolls really are worth the money compared to other popular brands featured on these forums, we get shouted down for not already owning a RealDoll? We just want to know what the differences are between a RealDoll and a high-end Chinese doll.
These answers should be free by the way. If I was comparison shopping with cars or homes, I wouldn't have to pay to access a third party website. I could ask the dealership or realtor directly, and get (relatively) honest answers.

blindwebster
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by blindwebster »

I still find their works gorgeous and have always wanted one, but I could no longer justify the price and insane wait times. The Asian market is just so immense and the options are endless at better prices, with more innovations as well. I mean, it is what it is.

4891d
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by 4891d »

TJ_Foxx wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:30 pm
4891d wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:23 pm

Brick has shown his RDx’s multiple times in various threads
I just checked, but all the videos accessible through the links in the six threads I watched are marked as deleted (with the exception of an Abyss promotional video from 2018 on UTube). I'll look in other threads when I have time, hoping to get better results.

My wish would above all be to have feedback from simple users to know their experience and, if possible, to see some interactive videos to realize what these functionalities can bring to the links that one can establish with his doll.
On a related note, I'm following with interest threads from members who use AI providers to communicate in various ways with their dolls; However, these do not have robotic heads and cannot speak directly. I would be curious to see a robotic head in real operation (even through videos) to understand what the strengths or limitations of this functionality are.

Links to 4891d's dolls-stories. : viewtopic.php?t=156068
Saaskiya, my beautiful gift (Zelex GE04) : viewtopic.php?t=154462
Trixie came to me (Funwest Dolls Trixie) : viewtopic.php?t=155900
Eurydice, a nice surprise (Elsa Babe RHC019)

lexico

Post by lexico »

Gaijin wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:04 pm So, what I've gathered from all this is that Abyss has terrible customer feedback and communication. Their dolls can cost 2-5 times what other silicone dolls on the market do with similar features. However, if we as TDF members and potential future customers of Abyss' products ask if that price is justified, if those $10k dolls really are worth the money compared to other popular brands featured on these forums, we get shouted down for not already owning a RealDoll? We just want to know what the differences are between a RealDoll and a high-end Chinese doll.
These answers should be free by the way. If I was comparison shopping with cars or homes, I wouldn't have to pay to access a third party website. I could ask the dealership or realtor directly, and get (relatively) honest answers.
Yes, that about sums it up!

Abyss used to be the undisputed leader in this realm. In fact, they launched silicone dolls as a thing.

But right now, buying a RealDoll means you will be paying at least $5,000 more than even the most expensive other brands for a doll that takes at least a year to arrive, from a company that doesn't communicate with you. And to get more information about the dolls, it will cost you even more (and you might not get the information)!

With that being said, it's possible this is all just noise. Abyss apparently has enough orders that they don't care about all this anyway. That tells you they must be doing something (or many things) right!
One of the first owners of a Real Doll (1997).
Currently no doll, but here are my "finalists": FanReal, Real Lady, XYColo, Zelex SLE.
If you have information to share, send me a PM!

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

Some of us don’t have issues with communication; we’re just more patient. Terrible feedback & communication? Well, if you only read certain posts you might think that. As for their value, if you haven’t compared them side by side, in person it’s difficult to make statements about cost/value that are substantive. If you’ve decided these aren’t dolls for you, that’s fine. One thing you won’t see are RD owners like myself, Brick & others going to other companies threads and telling everyone what we don’t like or why the dolls by that company aren’t attractive or worth the price. For some reason people who have no experience with these dolls feel the need to stop in and add their negativity.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky
Talia Petite 3 Dark Sky

INFORMATIONS