betterlovedoll.com

Paid study about doll ownership (all welcome!)

Articles about Dolls and Owners in digital and printed media.
Also includes radio.
Tighes
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Paid study about doll ownership (all welcome!)

Post by Tighes »

ondsdoll wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:50 pm Study this.
Doll manufacturers need to make dolls with realistic Love Holes Placement because most of them fail in this regard.
Jesus dude….did you even read the first post….go and sprout your bullshit somewhere else.

This is a study on doll owners not bloody manufacturers and the LHP crap!!!

Kandicaine
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Kandicaine »

Study was a bit disappointing. Very little about dolls or doll ownership and mostly about their owners perception of women and sex itself.

Inclusion of the GAD-7 and PHQ-9 test was also a bit weird given the application of this study. (I’m very familiar with these tests, my doctor makes me take one every time I see him 😂). The test is only designed to provide data on a short term basis when used in an application like this. I’m going through some severe emotional issues this past month that are affecting me right now and this is an inaccurate measurement of me as a whole person in this study because it provides zero context with the test results.

The study is also strongly biased towards negative sexual behaviours, fantasies and scenarios. The only “positive” with these questions is disagreeing with them, which still only provides context on those specific negatives, and not actual positives.
Katya - Starpery 167E viewtopic.php?t=158234

I also make music. https://soundcloud.com/illeptik

Atlas-Alderbund
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Atlas-Alderbund »

FYI - You have the option to not select certain choices within the survey. Just submit and a pop up will appear asking if you'd like to skip the unanswered questions. Some of the questions themselves however were loaded and poorly worded.

Atlas-Alderbund
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Atlas-Alderbund »

Kandicaine wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:40 pm Study was a bit disappointing. Very little about dolls or doll ownership and mostly about their owners perception of women and sex itself.

The study is also strongly biased towards negative sexual behaviours, fantasies and scenarios.
Correct. Do the mods even pilot test surveys themselves before allowing a researcher to post it? If so, then I'm surprised they granted it to be uploaded to TDF. :thumbs_down:

Sian_E
Student Account
Student Account

Post by Sian_E »

carbohvdrates wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:32 am Interesting stuff but this post says £10, but the website says £5, what's that about?
Thank you for highlighting this discrepancy - the original post contained an error. The voucher code is for £5 (or local equivalent once converted), plus £10 as a discount on Coeros. I've amended the initial post now, but everyone who has taken part up to the point of this reply (I've just pulled this information from our system to initiate the payment process) will receive two codes so to make up the £10 that they thought they were getting.

Sian_E
Student Account
Student Account

Post by Sian_E »

mibdul wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:26 pm
Sian_E wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:21 am We are recruiting all doll owners for a new study looking at the psychological characteristics of doll owners and issues related to sexual attitudes and behaviours. This is an extension of previous work, which has since been published and demonstrated how doll owners are not at any increased risk of acting in sexually aggressive ways (and in many cases are less risky than non-owners!).
Submitted!
carbohvdrates wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:46 am It's cheap for sure but I'd probably do it for free because it's a good cause, or at the very least I'm a chill enough dude that I know that any data I contribute couldn't really be used against doll owners as a demographic.
Yeah, I'm with carb on it being a good cause. If the sorts of scenarios that the study questionnaire explores are truly representative of prevailing stereotypes about doll owners, then I urgently hope that this research might help to reform (or at least soften) those stereotypes. Am I confident that anyone would listen? No. :P But the attempt is worth it, I think.

Thank you very much for this, and for taking part. If you left an email address then we are processing payments as quickly as we can (unfortunately these can't be automated due to the data protection arrangements we're working with).

Your final points are very good ones, and they are exactly why we included scenarios such as these in the survey. I can see several comments about the negative nature of the questions. I completely understand why this might be of concern, but as a research team we have a track record of arguing against things such as blanket bans and stigmatization, both in public and within our professional roles. For example, we published previous work showing a lack of relationship between doll ownership and sexual offense risk (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 22.2031848), and I have given podcast interviews about this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lKKrB2lsHU&t).

By collecting and reporting this kind of data, we can directly challenge some of the stereotypes that people might have about doll ownership.

Sian_E
Student Account
Student Account

Post by Sian_E »

Hartmudt wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:12 pm I have just gone through the study. I was quite disappointed by some of the questions. Especially the many questions about women and their "role". I also found the questionable situations in which you are asked whether this arouses you to be completely out of place. I have the feeling that this study would rather show that all doll owners have a disturbed relationship to women, sexuality and interaction with other people in general.

If it's supposed to be about dolls and their "effect", where are the relevant questions?

- Do you feel better/happier since owning a doll?

- Have other areas of your life changed positively since owning a doll?

- have you become more relaxed/confident in your everyday dealings with women?

- do you feel less alone since you have a doll?

etc etc

Thank you for this feedback. I agree that these kinds of methods cannot get at everything you have suggested, but equally relying on recollections about how emotional health (etc) might have changed since owning a doll leaves us open to criticism. For this reason, we are actually running a longitudinal study of people who have bought their first doll, and following them them through the first year of their doll ownership. This study will be the first to actually track, as changes do or don't occur, how things like happiness and life satisfaction are affected by doll ownership.

Some of the issues that you mentioned were also raised in our interview-based work from a couple of years ago, which is accessible at https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 23-10071-5.

Fellnase
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Fellnase »

Thank you for the survey,

it was fun doing it but I have to say that some questions were a little bit off.
Has nothing really to do with doll ownership (Other than the very few questions at the beginning)
also the "Situations" close to the end of the survey included (Most of them) using drugs (Alcohol)
It's fine question-wise and all but I was like: Does anyone actually agree to that? (To some questions)
But yes, very interesting.
Hair stylist and make-up artist by heart :3
My Dolls:
GameLady Aerith viewtopic.php?p=2467188 (coming soon)
Aerith' Picture and Story-thread viewtopic.php?p=2471070
Proud owner of 2 Hamsters (They don't bite unless they think I'm food)

ondsdoll
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by ondsdoll »

Tighes wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:55 pm
Doll manufacturers need to make dolls with realistic Love Holes Placement because most of them fail in this regard.
Jesus dude….did you even read the first post….go and sprout your bullshit somewhere else.

Yet they respond and want to know more. :wink:
Such surveys are often paid by manufacturers to get a clear customer view of their product for improvements.
I don't want to miss that opportunity as progress is made by being critical.
You can thank me for giving great advice to manufacturers.

Tighes
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Tighes »

ondsdoll wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:18 pm

Such surveys are often paid by manufacturers to get a clear customer view of their product for improvements.
Well I guess you’re the expert dude. I really don’t care. As long as you get your opinions heard….which is more like brand bashing to be honest. You keep doing what your doing mate….👍👍

Luiskjr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Luiskjr »

This survey was prepared by Doctor Craig H, the same that appears in another thread from 2023 saying in media Doll owners have low self esteem (which is not totally incorrect)

but... the whole survey seems to aim at
detecting sociopaths, levels of danger based on the doll owners feelings, anxiety, depression...

basically its a survey that assumes we are danger to society by becoming doll owners. Skip this survey.
Im kind of like Larry David, speak my mind and that offends some but thats how I am
1965-1978 Long Pillow
1980 Inflatable
2016 Plush Doll
2020 Irontech Torso Mira
Starpery TPE 172F Wayne Winstead and Rozanne, Starpery Silicone Nathalia 165D

ondsdoll
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by ondsdoll »

Tighes wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:28 pm
ondsdoll wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:18 pm

Well I guess you’re the expert dude. I really don’t care. As long as you get your opinions heard….which is more like brand bashing to be honest. You keep doing what your doing mate….👍👍
This forum I DON'T use to ridicule any manufacturer, but to be critical of products we as doll enthusiasts have purchased or want to purchase.
There are some topics that are considered crucial and from which a manufacturer can learn a lot to make a better product.

I don't beat around the bush and my Dutch directness is hated by some and respected by other for being to the point and I don't care either what others think about it so indeed mate :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

I am therefore of the opinion that progress is made by manufacturer absorbing criticism regarding LHP and working on it with next generation dolls.

ondsdoll
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by ondsdoll »

Sian_E wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:21 am Hello everyone,

We are recruiting all doll owners for a new study looking at the psychological characteristics of doll owners and issues related to sexual attitudes and behaviours. This is an extension of previous work, which has since been published and demonstrated how doll owners are not at any increased risk of acting in sexually aggressive ways (and in many cases are less risky than non-owners!).

If you own at least one sex doll / love doll, please do consider taking part in our survey, which will take approximately 10-15 minutes. We are paying participants in this study. At the end of the survey you will be asked to provide an email address (which can be an anonymous address), which is stored securely and separately from your data. We only use this email address to send you your payment, which is an online shopping voucher code worth £5 (or the equivalent in your currency), and a £10 discount code for use on Coeros, who stock doll accessories (see https://www.coeros.com/ for details about what they can provide).

If you would like to take part, please visit the survey website at https://www.soscisurvey.de/doll-ownership/. If you have any questions, please do feel free to reply to this thread, send me a message via the forum, or email at craig.harper@ntu.ac.uk.

Thank you very much in advance of your assistance.
So many different people have dolls nowadays that you never can pinpoint it to a specific group and therefore the findings are incomplete and wrong.

Society and media puts a stigma on men with sex toys and encourages sex toys for women, which is discriminating men.
With sex dolls the stigma is even worse and fueled by misinterpretations with biased studies and society becomes negatively emotional about sex dolls causing jealousy and disgust which is the main reason why doll enthusiasts are scared to talk openly about their dolls. Because people will judge them wrongly.

The main emotion you will mosly see with doll enthusiasts is peace of mind for having a doll .
Whats wrong with that doctor?

carbohvdrates

Post by carbohvdrates »

The only way to preclude (and therefore clear conceptions of) doll owners being violent/dangerous/sociopathic is to screen to detect those features. It's not out to paint us in any way or assume anything of us because that's literally not how science and data analysis works. It would be a bullheaded waste of money to gather data just to do that with it.
Workshop of Work in Progress:
Too many BJDs
Ava: WM-163C (Eva Elfie)
Violet: IT-175D + WM-266

Please don't reply to my posts with doomerism, pill, or incel talking points anymore. It makes the wigs tangle.

Luiskjr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Luiskjr »

Sian_E wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:21 am Hello everyone,

We are recruiting all doll owners for a new study https://www.soscisurvey.de/doll-ownership/. If you have any questions, please do feel free to reply to this thread, send me a message via the forum, or email at craig.harper@ntu.ac.uk.

Thank you very much in advance of your assistance.
Mr Sian,
Hi, thanks
Is this the Same Dr Craig Harper that did a survey in 2023, and results were out on the press. Whats the deal with this one?

https://www.psypost.org/2023/03/owners- ... teem-70034

Yes, I have a question

I took it half way but interrupted concerned on the bias purpose of questions posed. No difficulty in answering, a bit repetitive perhaps, but we all know where things don't relate at all and which are typical of a doll owner.

2) The survey tries hard to detect personality red flags in doll owners (depression, anxiety, anti-social patterns) so how can it be so poorly prepared if it aims at understanding the Doll hobby community?

A few things missing from the survey:

a) Did you know many doll owners have dolls to socialize here in this TDF forum? Not all but many

They rarely use them for sex. There are thousands of threads dedicated to show selfies of their dolls and get positive remarks (social feedback) from other users. The remarks give owners emotional gratification. Works similar as personal profiles on Instagram.

b) Other users use AI apps to play imaginary friends with their dolls by chatting and exploring the AI possibilities. This benefit is similar to any game app people use for entertainment

c) The process of caring, dressing, maintaining and posing dolls is a hobby in itself not different by others such as Lego building or electric miniature trains, porcelain doll collection or even Pets

Would you ask a Cat owner if he got a cat because he thinks the world is dangerous? or afraid of people? And who doesnt think the world is dangerous anyway? of course it is

d) The bottom line is people buy Dolls to have fun and reduce loneliness, even be able to show them and share. Within a safe environment. Share in this forum, with intimate contacts, through youtube, some even drive their dolls outdoors. They use dolls to socialize in their own way.

Why are these and other aspects of Doll ownership not included in your survey?

I would suggest Dr Craig Harper if he is a professional that cares for his work, before attempting to make or analyze a survey he should become a member of this forum and spend 3 months browsing posting and commenting.

Yes, surveys take time and hard work, he should know. Its not just asking an assistant post a link in the forum and fish results...
I mean not as anonymous reader, but interacting as yourself, a Doctor
just a suggestion
Im kind of like Larry David, speak my mind and that offends some but thats how I am
1965-1978 Long Pillow
1980 Inflatable
2016 Plush Doll
2020 Irontech Torso Mira
Starpery TPE 172F Wayne Winstead and Rozanne, Starpery Silicone Nathalia 165D

INFORMATIONS