teddy-babes.com

Here's my cheap and easy closed eyelids

The place to discuss our plush companions made by Eighth Wonder LLC.
tchon
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Here's my cheap and easy closed eyelids

Post by tchon »

Hi Aileron, well, I have to work on the "natural colored" eyelids. You did a much better job on Keiko Maries natural colored eyelids.
Then whatever you do, nothing beats an Akiko TB for cuteness anyway, I think. :)

Ursa_Major
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Ursa_Major »

There are some great pictures on this thread. If anything I'd say that TBs look ever cuter with their eyes closed.

Rollins

Post by Rollins »

Zang wrote:Making closed eyelids for Teddy Babes has been done a couple of times before, by TDF members Perry and Rider.
Always intrigued by the idea, I finally decided to try it too.

It's a pretty easy modification, actually. I bought a sheet of flesh-tone felt at a local hobby-and-crafts store. Next I used scissors to cut a paper template that follows the shape of the eye decal, cut two rectangles out of the felt, and then used the template to trim the felt rectangles into basically the same eye shapes. Lastly, I used a black marker to make "eyelashes" along the bottom edges, going a little bit thicker near the outside corners of each eyelid.
Jna_eyelids01.jpg
So now, after two and a half years, my doll can finally rest her eyes. :wink:
That is amazingly awesome and talented. I love the looks of your doll with her eyes closed. 8)

tchon
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by tchon »

Just a small heads up that I managed to mess up a little with my version of the eyelids. Basically it was not the best idea just to pick up the next marker laying around for the "eyelashes" marks, because after a while they developed circles under the eyes from it. Duh! :oops:

It is not visible very well on photos, but still annoying:
right eye before cleaning, left one afterwards
right eye before cleaning, left one afterwards
eyecircles-close.jpg (8.58 KiB) Viewed 4282 times
Here the left eye (i.e. the one on the right side of the photo) has already been cleaned, while the somewhat darker area below of the right eye is before cleaning. Actually I have been able to remove these dark circles easily with some stain remover, but as I guess that chemical stuff is also a bit rude to the plush I do not want to repeat it on a regular basis. So I guess I have to redo their eyelids, but this time choosing something more appropriate than a pen developed for CD marking.
Well, at least now you all know what marker not to choose when it comes to "painting on" eyelashes. :roll:

Zang
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Zang »

Good point about the marker, tchon. The black permanent marker I use for the eyelids is actually a laundry marking pen, which presumably makes it better for use on fabrics. I see I neglected to mention that before now... my bad!

How about I make up for it with some new doll pix? :D

After seeing how nice the babes on this thread look with a colored "eye shadow" felt, I now prefer that look a little more than the uncolored flesh-tone. The color seems to provide a nice color-balance to the vivid TB lips. It's good that we all have this option!

So for Jayna, I've now made a second set of closed eyelids, colored in a nice "caramel" medium brown, similar to the bit of brown atop the Jessica-model TB eyes... and with a set of store-bought self-adhesive eyelashes, too!
Here's a pic of both closed-eyelid sets:
Flesh-tone and medium-brown, without eyelashes and with.
Flesh-tone and medium-brown, without eyelashes and with.
Jna_eyelids06.jpg (140.27 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
As you can see, these eyelashes don't span the width of the eyelid, but sets like these are the easiest to find. So given this shortcoming, I think they look their best when placed toward the outer corners of each eyelid, since our eyelashes are naturally longer around there.

The effect is still really pleasing, wouldn't you agree?
Sweet dreams are made of this...
Sweet dreams are made of this...
Jna_eyelids07.jpg (142.94 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
What a lovely view in the morning!
What a lovely view in the morning!
Jna_eyelids08.jpg (152.83 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
Teasing even when she's sleeping!
Teasing even when she's sleeping!
Jna_eyelids09.jpg (131.81 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
Gotta say, I'm pleased how this easy little mod has caught on!

NINJA100
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by NINJA100 »

She looks so lovely sleeping like that. I'm gonna have to try this.

Doll Knight XIX
~ Member ~
~ Member ~
Location: Formerly known as TG megami - The Frozen North, USA

Post by Doll Knight XIX »

Oh my gosh, the latest pictures are so beautiful! I almost cried at how lovely and peaceful she looks. Outstanding job!

As for the fake eyelashes, have you considered attempting to cut and line up two sets of lashes to span the length of the eyelids? That may be an idea. Regardless, they still look wonderful as they are now. Again, I am impressed at how big a difference closed eyelids can make. Such a small modification goes a long, long way. :)

I can't wait to make eyelids for my Teddy Babe Deluxe, who I'll be getting in April or May! I just don't know which one I want! O__O Choices! Ah!
We will start anew, on here, soon. We can't wait!

Aileron429
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Aileron429 »

Zang wrote:

As you can see, these eyelashes don't span the width of the eyelid, but sets like these are the easiest to find. So given this shortcoming, I think they look their best when placed toward the outer corners of each eyelid, since our eyelashes are naturally longer around there.

The effect is still really pleasing, wouldn't you agree?

I most certainly agree, Jayna looks absolutely enchanting with this latest enhancement to her eyelids. I am very pleased to see all the great photos and ideas folks are sharing. I hope to get some free time of my own to try out some of these ideas with Keiko, until then thanks to All and have a Great Day!

P.S. Tchon thanks for the compliment but you are doing a fantastic job with your girls new looks. Thanks for the heads up about the need for care with the markers, Kanpai :D

Aileron
Suki koso mono no jouzu nare
What one likes, one will do Best

tchon
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by tchon »

Hi Zang,

well, I should have thought about the marker myself, next time I use a more appropriate one. Come to think of it a laundry marking pen makes much more sense. 8O
So no need to apologize, but then, if that causes you to post more pictures of Jayna, you are very welcome :)
The caramel color looks very nice, especially with Jayna eyelids. Then Jayna is a looker anyway. :) What a beauty!
I just have to repost this one:

drmicrochip

Post by drmicrochip »

tchon wrote:Just a small heads up that I managed to mess up a little with my version of the eyelids. Basically it was not the best idea just to pick up the next marker laying around for the "eyelashes" marks, because after a while they developed circles under the eyes from it. Duh! :oops:

It is not visible very well on photos, but still annoying:
eyecircles-close.jpg
Here the left eye (i.e. the one on the right side of the photo) has already been cleaned, while the somewhat darker area below of the right eye is before cleaning. Actually I have been able to remove these dark circles easily with some stain remover, but as I guess that chemical stuff is also a bit rude to the plush I do not want to repeat it on a regular basis. So I guess I have to redo their eyelids, but this time choosing something more appropriate than a pen developed for CD marking.
Well, at least now you all know what marker not to choose when it comes to "painting on" eyelashes. :roll:
Hi tchon,

Erica developed the same kind of circles under her eyes when I used a permanent marker for her eyelids. I need to use some kind of stain remover to get them off as well. For now though it looks kind of natural like she used masqeura or something.

john1972
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by john1972 »

OMG its a new Fad :).
Its like when MtDew first came out lol...
Now I want my TB even sooner just so I can do this :)..
He he I love it for real its cool as hell looking..
I actually went to wallgreens to pick up a script and looked
at there fake eye lashes this morning lol..

Teddy babes are becoming a damn epidemic ,
They are spreading like wildfire look out here come the
teddy babes :)

cosycottage

Post by cosycottage »

john1972 wrote: Teddy babes are becoming a damn epidemic ,
They are spreading like wildfire look out here come the
teddy babes :)
Teddy Babe World Domination, baby!

And Queen Cathy is our benevolent ruler! :razz:
"Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it." Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Ursa_Major
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Ursa_Major »

john1972 wrote:Teddy babes are becoming a damn epidemic.
I can think of a lot worse things you could have an epidemic of. :D

KingTut

Post by KingTut »

Just a note on the false lashes not getting the entire eyeline: this is easily fixed by using TWO sets of false lashes. This is what I did for Jasmine's cardstock eyelids in the second lingerie shoot.

The lid has coverage from edge to edge and the place where the lashes overlap is pretty much invisible.
It's good to be the King!
Jasmine and Rose have a doll album. Enjoy!

tchon
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by tchon »

Hi drmicrochip,
drmicrochip wrote: Erica developed the same kind of circles under her eyes when I used a permanent marker for her eyelids. I need to use some kind of stain remover to get them off as well. For now though it looks kind of natural like she used masqeura or something.
The stain remover worked here pretty well, too, but to me it seems the plush under her eyes is a bit rougher now, so I do not want to do this quite often. After all the chemicals have to be a bit aggressive to remove the stain.

Fortunately after I have put aside the "tainting" eyelashes for some time, they seem to have dried out now and no longer leave stains. Still I think I should make new ones which proper coloring (and let them dry some time before applying them.)

Oh, and looking at Jasmine I am quite tempted to use "real false lashes", not just eye lines. :D

INFORMATIONS