betterlovedoll.com

Brie in "Melon Farming" - Coverdoll May Photographer Set

For Doll related Photography, Graphics, and Web Design.

Moderator: Swan

JunkGuy
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Brie in "Melon Farming" - Coverdoll May Photographer Set

Post by JunkGuy »

For those that missed it, I was given the honor of submitting a photoset for Coverdoll's May Issue as the Monthly Featured Photographer. Given this opportunity would be the first a lot of people would see either my doll Brie or my work, I knew I had to bring my best. I'm quite proud of the outcome as I think its one of the most fun, inventive photosets ever featuring a doll. This has easily supplemented last year's Fourth of July "Star-Spangled" set as my new favorite.

I was originally approached in early December to see if I could fill in for that month as an emergency. Since I wasn't prepared, the best I could do was replicate some of the photos I did for Christmas 2016, which really wouldn't have been up to par as I'm not so fond of doing the same thing twice. So after they found someone else to do December, they put me on the list for a Spring shoot, which I preferred anyway, as I think my outdoor natural lighting photoshoots just look better. Except for a contest entry in October, I'd not had Brie outside for photo work since August's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" shoot so it was an easy decision to do the Coverdoll shoot outside as well. With several months to prepare, I pieced together a theme featuring a farm girl in cutoff overalls, boots, a wet t-shirt, and some fun in the sun. Quite late in the process (mid-March or so) I came up with the idea to have her farming watermelons, honeydews and cantaloupes, rather than planting flowers. That was just the edge needed to turn a good idea into great.

I present to you now the very best of "Melon Farming" (And yes, the title is a double entendre.) While Coverdoll got 27 of the photos, the full 85 picture set can now be viewed at my DollAlbum gallery.

Brie is a WM Dolls 165K TPE doll with head #74. She has factory standard blue eyes and a custom blonde wig. This is the second model, providing me with the shrugging shoulders and hinged neck options, and refreshed skintone following some cosmetic issues with the first one. (Which as of this post is for sale here.)

As far as clothing goes, I got the buttoned t-shirt from Amazon some time ago, but it doesn't appear to be available now. It's fairly basic and you can probably find other manufacturers. I didn't realize how much the bright sun would wash out the white in the first third of the photos tough, and its my one big regret of this shoot. Had I realized this, I might have bought a different color like light gray for this shoot, but I had the white and thought it worked fine until I got the photos to post-processing and realized how few were still usable. The overalls also come from Amazon but I got them more recently. Given her figure, I knew I'd need hip buttons and was quite worried about the fit in the front until it arrived and I could test it to see that it barely did fit her. I took a knife and some sandpaper to trim the edges at the legs and then rough it up a good bit to appear well worn. I splashed some bleach on it to give some color variation as well, but it doesn't show up in most photos. Boots also came from Amazon - I didn't want true work boots or true cowboy boots but something that looked in between and settled on these as best value for required size. I got the gloves from Amazon as well, because I couldn't seem to find any in small at any of the nearby garden stores. They worked quite well and were non-staining which was a major concern. Hard to see but she's wearing some pearl drop earrings I got ages ago. Her visor cap I found in a local thrift store and her glasses are typical dollar store readers. The dreamcatcher necklace she's wearing was a gift from Crazy Cajun and his doll TripleA as part of the Dolls Alive Christmas Gift Exchange. I chose this necklace purely on a whim only to find out CC suddenly passed away a few days later. This photoset is dedicated to their memory.

For makeup, Brie is only wearing factory eyeshadow, and on her lips, the appropriately themed "Melon Crush" - a pink-orange color from KleanColor's Madly Matte red/orange series. Her areolae were touched up with Apricot and her nipples with a mix of Apricot and Scorch to appear a little redder. The doll was still new enough at the time that I didn't need to redraw her eyebrows (but I have since.)

All of the gardening equipment were things I have around the house, or were in the process of using this spring anyway (bags of soil.) I had a few pieces of pine board to build the planter area just for this shoot - disassembling it and moving the dirt to other areas of the yard the next day. I had to buy a small piece of poster board to make the half off sign. All the melons were purchased instead of grown, but were eaten afterward (it took two weeks to get through them all.) I also had to buy some fake vinery to make the melons look homegrown.

I used my Nikon D5300 with Nikkor 18-55mm AF lens for this shoot. With plenty of sunlight on this afternoon, I required no external flash or additional lighting setup.

I was going to have her stand up for the water hose bit and then do a full striptease, but the wind was kicking up and she took a tumble into the planter area. I took nearly half an hour to clean her up with wet wipes for the photoshoot to continue and by then I didn't want to have to go through that again, changing plans to have her sit the rest of the shoot and only do a topless strip. Apologies if you wanted to see more - I'll try to make it up to you next time I do an indoors shoot.

(Also, Happy Birthday Brie! As I have her aging in realtime, she turned 28 today.)

carlys_guy
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Re: Brie in "Melon Farming" - Coverdoll May Photographer Set

Post by carlys_guy »

nice pics and the water melons look tasty also.

carly snugglemore

CF
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by CF »

I literally, actually, physically drooled.
Viva la megaboobs!
*My juicy Cherry: viewtopic.php?t=154759
*Z-cup Moira: viewtopic.php?t=138543
*BBW Breanna: viewtopic.php?t=143116
*Yulia: viewtopic.php?t=122950
*Tina viewtopic.php?t=121819
*Aurora Jolie: viewtopic.php?t=106838
*World-famous Una Carha: viewtopic.php?t=93292

The Messenger
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by The Messenger »

SOOOO AWESOME!
Zenobia - WM163 H-cup - Eye Candy - 10 Week Journal
Mavia - D4E165 I-cup - Eye Candy
BFF!
Instagram

Endless War
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Endless War »

Great photo shoot JG. I love the progression and the story the photos tell. Hilarious and extremely well done.
Instagram: @the_art_dolls

Daria
Doll
Doll

Post by Daria »

Great pictures.
I really like the posing in this one.
It looks so playful.

Hugs,
Daria
With binky (scooter_ca).
Everything about me can be found in my New Photo Timeline: https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=117493
Doll Album: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=14626
I'm on Instagram now. --> darias.playhouse

DonKeydick
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by DonKeydick »

Brie is a beauty alright and the whole shoot looks great good job JG.
"The More Complex the Mind, the Greater the Need for the Simplicity of Play" James T. Kirk "Shore Leave"
A photographic journey of a young womans blossoming into a beautiful creature.How Julia Spends Her Day
Julia`s welcome page. Hello Ladies
Gabby`s welcome page. Buongiorno America
My Cousin Gabby`s thread. My Cousin Gabby
Anna Belle`s rants. Anna Belle
Link to International Intrigue Bad News From Italy
My Favorite Song Green Eyed Lady by Sugarloaf
"Making DollsBook Great"

haremlover
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by haremlover »

An ABSOLULTELY WONDERFUL set of pics!

These take so long to set up. It take special dedication to photograph a doll as human. Models work at it and photographers just have to snap it, but the doll photographer has to do it all. And you've done it brilliantly.

Best wishes

Harem
Latest reviews coming for Irontech and FJ doll silicone ladies.

Chloé's book
is available from The-Doll-House
- - - -
Here's Coverdoll Yolanda
- - - -
Reviews for:
-DS-OR-JY-SY-Jarliet-Vivid-SM-SE-ZOne-JM-Sino-Sanhui-Pipedream--XY-WM-Elsa Babe-SM Silicone Siliko-XYcolo-Starpery-Elsa Babe-FutureDoll-Zelex-Irontech-FJ Doll
- - - -
YouTube Doll Review Channel
-https://www.youtube.com/@sexdoll-reviews-

JunkGuy
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by JunkGuy »

Thanks all. I do try hard to make Brie look lifelike in photos and you're right, its not as easy as it seems.

First of all, 30 poses or so takes quite a bit of planning, and that's without another half dozen extra or so had she stripped off the overalls and then her panties. As I've said in earlier photosets, I come up with a stick-figure scene-by-scene plan for each major shoot, like a storyboard, and run generally my shoots on that plan, adjusting as needed (like changing to sitting position for the whole second half.) This plan lets me work faster, get all the shots I need without forgetting any, and take them out of order if it makes more sense to do so. It also allows me to integrate props better, and I'm definitely big on props if you've been paying attention.

Secondly, you can't have the dead stare forward all the time - a 'lively' doll needs expression. VonRubber's Teeth&Tongue set are great for mouths, but I also learned a lot from his "come hither" eyes on his doll, Svetlana, particularly his trick of removing the synthetic junk behind the eyes and replacing with extra cotton both to make the iris's appear larger and to ease movement. I know some people use MannequinFan's eyes, but I prefer VonRubber's low-tech solution. I also tilt the dolls head quite a bit and I don't see enough other photographers do that. A head tilt and eye movement together works wonders. I also admire folks like mandos for realistic placement of arms and hands, though with gloves on his influence on my work isn't as noticeable this time.

Lastly, the need to tell a story. There's a big difference between a photoset with loosely connected photos, and a photoset that gives a progression of a story or scene. While my first few were of the earlier type, I've since been trying to tell a story with each shoot. Usually something simple involving a striptease, but sometimes just for fun (like Wonderland.) Some people add text to help tell the story, either in comic format or as a hypertext image+text combination, but I think it works better if the photos can do it all on their own.

I don't think camera quality or makeup skills have anything to do with it. A very bad camera or clownish makeup can indeed make for bad photos, but an adequate camera and minimal makeup is sufficient. I was using my cell phone for the early photosets before investing a better digital camera, at my own choice and not because people though the quality was poor. (Camera on a Samsung Galaxy is pretty good in its own right.) Lipstick is the only makeup I ever use on Brie and she looks just fine - glasses probably hides the fact there isn't any eyeshadow or mascara beyond what factory supplied though. I'm not naming any names, but I've seen some dolls with atrocious makeup that would look better taken back to base TPE or silicone than the makeup jobs they've been given. Beyond lipstick, about the only thing I've done is occasionally redraw the eyebrows with ultra fine tip brown Sharpie when they wear out, and fill in the nostrils with black for added realism, especially when shooting up from below.

The Doll Laboratory
Manufacturer Affiliated
Manufacturer Affiliated

Post by The Doll Laboratory »

Hello JunkGuy,,

What a lovely set of photos. Excellent work. :thumbs_up: As you said above, making a connection between photos and telling a story requires a LOT of planning. But it is easier when a Doll inspires oneself. It seems to be the case with Brie and you. :wink:

Von Rubber
The Doll Laboratory Stories - Erotic Comic featuring my Dolls
Teeth&Tongue set 4.0 - Add expressions to your Doll

Joyboi

Post by Joyboi »

What an excellent pun for a charming set of photos!

Endless War
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Endless War »

JunkGuy wrote:Some people add text to help tell the story, either in comic format or as a hypertext image+text combination, but I think it works better if the photos can do it all on their own.
:haha4: That's totally me. I look for excuses to add words to my photos.

Thanks for sharing your philosophy in regard to photo shoots. I am always intrigued by the position of others when it comes to these sets. Relatively new to taking these types of photos and being more a graphic designer, I've learned a lot from you and others on what makes a good quality picture. If the primary photo is poor, then the ceiling for the end product is much lower; I've learned that the hard way.

Thanks again, I've always been a big fan of Brie.
Instagram: @the_art_dolls

Peonyou101
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Peonyou101 »

Wow JunkGuy, seeing this photo set just put a smile on my face and made my day. Really Wonderful work you did here on so many levels! You really know how to bring her to life ^^. We get to smile seeing her doing gardening, we get to laugh seeing her get sprayed with the hose, we get to smile seeing her eat watermelon, we get to blush/get instant nose bleed and faint seeing her melons on top of another melon :oops: :lol: . Definitely one of my favorite photo sets I've ever seen! Thankyou for sharing it!

Jacko123

Post by Jacko123 »

Thanks Junkguy. Brie is stunning. Keep up the photo shoots. She is gorgeous and fabulous body. Thankyou for all you do on the forum.

rambler4480
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by rambler4480 »

Wow!!!! She'd win any "melon" contest for sure!! How much does she weigh?

JunkGuy wrote:For those that missed it, I was given the honor of submitting a photoset for Coverdoll's May Issue as the Monthly Featured Photographer. Given this opportunity would be the first a lot of people would see either my doll Brie or my work, I knew I had to bring my best. I'm quite proud of the outcome as I think its one of the most fun, inventive photosets ever featuring a doll. This has easily supplemented last year's Fourth of July "Star-Spangled" set as my new favorite.

I was originally approached in early December to see if I could fill in for that month as an emergency. Since I wasn't prepared, the best I could do was replicate some of the photos I did for Christmas 2016, which really wouldn't have been up to par as I'm not so fond of doing the same thing twice. So after they found someone else to do December, they put me on the list for a Spring shoot, which I preferred anyway, as I think my outdoor natural lighting photoshoots just look better. Except for a contest entry in October, I'd not had Brie outside for photo work since August's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" shoot so it was an easy decision to do the Coverdoll shoot outside as well. With several months to prepare, I pieced together a theme featuring a farm girl in cutoff overalls, boots, a wet t-shirt, and some fun in the sun. Quite late in the process (mid-March or so) I came up with the idea to have her farming watermelons, honeydews and cantaloupes, rather than planting flowers. That was just the edge needed to turn a good idea into great.

I present to you now the very best of "Melon Farming" (And yes, the title is a double entendre.) While Coverdoll got 27 of the photos, the full 85 picture set can now be viewed at my DollAlbum gallery.

Brie is a WM Dolls 165K TPE doll with head #74. She has factory standard blue eyes and a custom blonde wig. This is the second model, providing me with the shrugging shoulders and hinged neck options, and refreshed skintone following some cosmetic issues with the first one. (Which as of this post is for sale here.)

As far as clothing goes, I got the buttoned t-shirt from Amazon some time ago, but it doesn't appear to be available now. It's fairly basic and you can probably find other manufacturers. I didn't realize how much the bright sun would wash out the white in the first third of the photos tough, and its my one big regret of this shoot. Had I realized this, I might have bought a different color like light gray for this shoot, but I had the white and thought it worked fine until I got the photos to post-processing and realized how few were still usable. The overalls also come from Amazon but I got them more recently. Given her figure, I knew I'd need hip buttons and was quite worried about the fit in the front until it arrived and I could test it to see that it barely did fit her. I took a knife and some sandpaper to trim the edges at the legs and then rough it up a good bit to appear well worn. I splashed some bleach on it to give some color variation as well, but it doesn't show up in most photos. Boots also came from Amazon - I didn't want true work boots or true cowboy boots but something that looked in between and settled on these as best value for required size. I got the gloves from Amazon as well, because I couldn't seem to find any in small at any of the nearby garden stores. They worked quite well and were non-staining which was a major concern. Hard to see but she's wearing some pearl drop earrings I got ages ago. Her visor cap I found in a local thrift store and her glasses are typical dollar store readers. The dreamcatcher necklace she's wearing was a gift from Crazy Cajun and his doll TripleA as part of the Dolls Alive Christmas Gift Exchange. I chose this necklace purely on a whim only to find out CC suddenly passed away a few days later. This photoset is dedicated to their memory.

For makeup, Brie is only wearing factory eyeshadow, and on her lips, the appropriately themed "Melon Crush" - a pink-orange color from KleanColor's Madly Matte red/orange series. Her areolae were touched up with Apricot and her nipples with a mix of Apricot and Scorch to appear a little redder. The doll was still new enough at the time that I didn't need to redraw her eyebrows (but I have since.)

All of the gardening equipment were things I have around the house, or were in the process of using this spring anyway (bags of soil.) I had a few pieces of pine board to build the planter area just for this shoot - disassembling it and moving the dirt to other areas of the yard the next day. I had to buy a small piece of poster board to make the half off sign. All the melons were purchased instead of grown, but were eaten afterward (it took two weeks to get through them all.) I also had to buy some fake vinery to make the melons look homegrown.

I used my Nikon D5300 with Nikkor 18-55mm AF lens for this shoot. With plenty of sunlight on this afternoon, I required no external flash or additional lighting setup.

I was going to have her stand up for the water hose bit and then do a full striptease, but the wind was kicking up and she took a tumble into the planter area. I took nearly half an hour to clean her up with wet wipes for the photoshoot to continue and by then I didn't want to have to go through that again, changing plans to have her sit the rest of the shoot and only do a topless strip. Apologies if you wanted to see more - I'll try to make it up to you next time I do an indoors shoot.

(Also, Happy Birthday Brie! As I have her aging in realtime, she turned 28 today.)

INFORMATIONS