Video

All Dolled Up Premiered at Hershey (Trailers Linked)

This section is for videos about dolls, people who own dolls and movies about and involving dolls.

Moderator: Swan

blou2blou2
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: All Dolled Up Premiered at Hershey

Post by blou2blou2 »

This will help make known the world of dolls and the good cause for the dolls i think :).
I like watching movies and other videos about dolls, i think that they are not many, not enough subjects about that. You always make good videos. You have talent, interesting and serious, and funny way to work with videos. I will buy your video too.

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

I finally got to read this on my computer so I finally got to see the trailers. So, here's my review on the them: My vote goes to the second one. If I may however, I have two constructive criticisms.

All of them are too long. When it comes to teasers, it is best to do just that; tease the audience yet leave them wanting for more. Use shorter clips, and not as much non-narrative space or you may risk losing their attention (think ADD, in this case you're not alone :) ). A super way too long trailer for the original Godfather movie so turned me off I have never even wanted to see any of the movies!

Two, you might want to blur Bianca's nipples in the hot tub scene (these are non doll owners you'll be advertising to :mrgreen: ).

These are just my own non experienced/non-professional opinions. Mind you. I wish you all success with this documentary. Both for the sake of all the great work you've put into it as well as the better exposure it will give all of us! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

midiman
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by midiman »

blou2blou2 wrote: You have talent, interesting and serious, and funny way to work with videos. I will buy your video too.
Thanks. In talking with other industry professionals, the thoughts were that the humor would help ease the 'ich' factor.

Based on feedback from the non-doll community viewers to date, it seems to be hitting the mark.

Szalinski may have a point in that people have become used to sensationalism. However, I had three goals when I set out on this doc...
1) To find the story no one has been able to find
2) To tell it in an entertaining way that did not resort to sensationalism
3) To push our community image more mainstream

I figured that with my first interview being an ex-biker who has been shot 6 times, stabbed four times and run over twice, who needs to sensationalise? :) He is probably the last type of person people would expect to have a life sized Barbie doll. Most see bikers as macho rough and tumble guys. PDee could become a mentor to people of that mind set by saying it's OK to own a love doll ;) In fact, it is the mix of people that really hits a broad demographic. I just had a comment from one non-doll owner viewer who said it left her with the feeling that doll owners were ordinary people...which we are ;)

Thank you for all your kind comments. I wish I could post the video for everyone to watch, but it could kill a broadcast contract :( The wheels turn slow, but we currently have a second doc being pitched to UK media which I will be partnering on, and a number of short videos about our community that are likely hitting teh mainland Europe market.

Hopefully North America is not too far behind.

On Bianca's Boobies? We actually have a blur, but as is it meets PG14 which is still the broadest audience of a Doll Docu so far. It is in fact the network that will decide how much T&A they want to show, so we saw no need to blur anything for our rough edit, although there are a few already 'censored'.

You are seeing the docu at about 90%. If we don't get a broadcaster, we will likely lengthen it to an hour and 20 minutes for full feature and hit the festival circuit.

Thanks again, everyone for your critiques and support. Some who have given critique earlier on will have noticed it does not fall onto deaf ears.

Cheers,
Midiman
Midiman...
My Doll photos... here in my Doll Album

Gabrielle BT ---- Libby Ruby13 ---- My Teddy Babes --- Bianca from Lars & the RG --- jessica Wicked RD ------ Aredhel PIB ------ Amaya 4woods - Kira Anatomical

blou2blou2
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by blou2blou2 »

thank you Midiman.

And when you said in another post : ''
midiman wrote:
Different culture. But we are pushing more mainstream. My mandadte in media and my documentary have been to push more mainstream.

The more they see us, and the more they see everyday people with them, the more we grow.
I totally agree with you again. Dolls are for everybody, for all kinds of people.. In french we have an expression for that: les poupees sont pour monsieur ET madame tout le monde.
I am a female ordinary dental hygienist, nothing more normal. The dolls and their owners are still too little known and poorly judged.It's intelligent and creative people like you who make things happen change and progress.

Keep on your good work, for this good cause.

Bianca
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by Bianca »

Bonjour blou2blou2,

Merci encore. Hé, je ne savais pas comment ont été près de chez vous à notre Royaume-Uni répondre Juin 17-19. Pourquoi ne pas assister, même si seulement pour la journée. Je vais montrer le documentaire, il y aura des gens de 6 pays différents sans compter la France ... ou allez-vous être au Canada à l'époque?

Si non, peut-être nous pourrions nous rencontrer au Canada. Je me sens seule étant le seul propriétaire de la poupée au Canada atlantique:)

Thank you again. Hey I didn't realize how near you were to our UK meet June 17-19. Why don't you consider dropping over to attend even if only for day. I will be showing the documentary, there will be people from 6 different countries not counting France...or are you going to be in Canada at the time?
If not, perhaps we could meet in Canada. It gets lonely being the only doll owner east of Quebec :)

A bientôt ... J'espère que,
Midiman

blou2blou2 wrote:thank you Midiman.

And when you said in another post : ''
midiman wrote:
Different culture. But we are pushing more mainstream. My mandate in media and my documentary have been to push more mainstream.

The more they see us, and the more they see everyday people with them, the more we grow.
I totally agree with you again. Dolls are for everybody, for all kinds of people.. In french we have an expression for that: les poupees sont pour monsieur ET madame tout le monde.
I am a female ordinary dental hygienist, nothing more normal. The dolls and their owners are still too little known and poorly judged.It's intelligent and creative people like you who make things happen change and progress.

Keep on your good work, for this good cause.
xxxooo Bianca
COVERDOLL
Galleries at ...
Coverdoll | Doll Forum

Doll Knight XIX
~ Member ~
~ Member ~
Location: Formerly known as TG megami - The Frozen North, USA

Post by Doll Knight XIX »

Szalinski wrote:Great Shot, Megami! I was wondering how that one was going to come out. :thumbs_up:
TG Megami wrote:Anyhow, I should add that I loved the documentary. I got to see some of the rough, rough cuts early on, and it was good then; it's better now. It's very streamlined and flows well, without feeling over-long. I feel like it's a great start to what I hope will be a longer series focusing on the love doll owning community. I'm happy with it, for sure. It's nice to have a film that counterbalances the sensationalism the media always draws upon when portraying the doll-owning community. Midi's doc is very even-handed and unbiased. I like that.
Let's just hopt that that doesn't become it's undoing in this sensationalist society, because it is a great documentary.
Aw, thanks Szalinski! I was happy that one flash-free pic of Jessica at the camera turned out. I should have my own tripod next year, so I should have better shots all around.

I think Midi's doc is entertaining enough to not need to rely on sensationalism to sell. I mean, there's plenty of humor, which is always good, and there is a lot of diversity among the interviewees, which should hold a viewer's interest. I don't think a film needs to be all about shock and awe to succeed, especially a documentary.
midiman wrote:Thanks. In talking with other industry professionals, the thoughts were that the humor would help ease the 'ich' factor.

Based on feedback from the non-doll community viewers to date, it seems to be hitting the mark.

Szalinski may have a point in that people have become used to sensationalism. However, I had three goals when I set out on this doc...
1) To find the story no one has been able to find
2) To tell it in an entertaining way that did not resort to sensationalism
3) To push our community image more mainstream
It's hard for me as an owner of love dolls to really see where the 'ick' factor comes into play. I mean, dolls are beautiful! Bu~ut...from a logical standpoint (as opposed to my heavily biased emotional stance) I can understand why the general public may not share my views. That said, there really wasn't a scene that stood out as one a person could find particularly icky. I think the ick factor comes into play more when dolls are talked about in a sexual context, which your doc doesn't really address. So...in that respect, I think you're doing very well.

As for my thoughts on your goals:
1.) You're definitely getting there. You're presenting the most honest and unbiased look at love doll owners from all walks of life, who own dolls for different reasons. So, you're on the right path, to be sure.
2.) I found the doc very entertaining. The balance of humor seems to be just right. It isn't so overpowering as to make the overall film seem comedic, but neither is it sparse enough to make it feel flat. It's a good mix. It held my interest.
3.) Well, it will take public exposure to bring your doc and thus the love doll owning community into the mainstream. Hopefully a network will pick it up or it can make the film festival circuit. I'm sure one or the other is bound to happen. Then, awareness about love doll owners will grow among the general public and thus acceptance should grow, too.

Argh, I'm going to have to break this up into two posts, as it's time for me to go home from work. More will follow!
We will start anew, on here, soon. We can't wait!

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

Well, the really scary scene is the one with Midi naked in the bath...ImageImage

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

Playtime
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Playtime »

G'day everyone,....

Szalinski wrote:Well, the really scary scene is the one with Midi naked in the bath...ImageImage

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That scene should be Banned!
It not only is damn scarey,.. but shatters the walls or reality as well,.....
:lol: :lol: :whistle:

:haha4: :haha4: :haha4:

Playtime.
Playing with dolls is a joy!

Kaori's Antics

WARNING:  The Dolls are starting to play back!

Brotoi
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Brotoi »

Szalinski wrote:Well, the really scary scene is the one with Midi naked in the bath...ImageImage

Yup! My thoughts exactly! :haha4:

I enjoyed all three trailers, but felt the second had the most potential to draw in a wide audience. There are shots with assistants posing, brushing hair, etc., where the assistant (or in other cases a passersby) is obscured by a mosaic overlay. Personally, I think removing those shots from the trailers would shorten them, improve their impact, and increase their widespread appeal.

And all joking aside, the bathtub scene is perfect! I would not suggest attempting to hide Bianca's nipples. Leaving them clear and visible helps to emphasize that she is, in fact, a doll and not a real woman.

I'll be watching for "All Dolled Up" on the Discovery channel! And I'll definitely be picking up a copy of the DVD when it comes out.

blou2blou2
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by blou2blou2 »

Thanks a lot bianca and midiman, but unfortunately i can't participate to this event, i would like to very much but at this time for the moment it's not possible for me , i am sorry thank's a lot for your invitation i appreciate it very much. My situation is complicated for the moment, i am mooving to another country i'm am busy at this time, in the future i want to produce my own little video too. I am very interested by your work and i hope that we can work together one day, if i can i will support you and with pleasure , take care. Your french is very well:)

Bianca
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by Bianca »

blou2blou2 wrote:Thanks a lot bianca and midiman, but unfortunately i can't participate to this event, i would like to very much but at this time for the moment it's not possible for me , i am sorry thank's a lot for your invitation i appreciate it very much. My situation is complicated for the moment, i am mooving to another country i'm am busy at this time, in the future i want to produce my own little video too. I am very interested by your work and i hope that we can work together one day, if i can i will support you and with pleasure , take care.

Thanks, blou2blou2. We love to work with other doll enthusiasts. Best of luck on your move. Which way are you going?
xxxooo Bianca
COVERDOLL
Galleries at ...
Coverdoll | Doll Forum

blou2blou2
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by blou2blou2 »

thanks, i am At Quebec city right now, i am a canadian that come from quebec:) And i will go to France at the end of this month for one year. :)

blou2blou2
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by blou2blou2 »

you can give me some details in my private message mail box if you want

midiman
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by midiman »

I met with Mahtek on my return from LA and gave him a private showing of All Dolled Up!

He said I "delivered as promised". Now that makes it all worth while ;)

There was lots of skepticism in some circles, so it was good to get feedback from someone that was in it.
Midiman...
My Doll photos... here in my Doll Album

Gabrielle BT ---- Libby Ruby13 ---- My Teddy Babes --- Bianca from Lars & the RG --- jessica Wicked RD ------ Aredhel PIB ------ Amaya 4woods - Kira Anatomical

INFORMATIONS