www.wmdolls.com

Questions: Fiberglass / Plastic

All forms of mannequins that were not originally sold as love dolls. Mannequins that have been modified for sex should also be included here.
Humper

Questions: Fiberglass / Plastic

Post by Humper »

Hi. I have a few questions about mannequins, particularly fiberglass vs. plastic, since I am considering buying one.

Fiberglass

Isn't fiberglass easily broken? Can you actually do anything sexual with a fiberglass mannequin? Also, will the material hurt your skin (sorry, I've never touched anything fiberglass other than a boat!)?

Plastic

I think the "unbreakable" plastic mannequins look cool and perhaps are more sturdy than the fiberglass ones. Has anyone ever modified a plastic mannequin? From what I understand, they do not handle adhesives well. Also, I have cut (thin) plastic before, and it tends to crack or shatter.

Thanks for any help.

H.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Re: Questions: Fiberglass / Plastic

Post by rubherkitty »

Fiberglass is the way to go. The exterior has a smooth coat. The fibers of the fiberglass give it strength and are inside the resin casting. Anywhere you cut or sand and expose the fibers, you will have to coat and seal them with bondo or resin.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

LWhisperer
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor
Location: Just a hapless waif caught up on the fickle winds of fate.

Post by LWhisperer »

Thanks, RK. I had that same question in my mind recently, after seeing a couple threads of gorgeous mannequins.

May I ask, also...
Is it even remotely feasible to coat a mannequin in a latex skin, or tpe, or other fleshlike material?? Like to perhaps take a mannequin, and mod it with insert, replace the breasts with a soft substitute, and then "skin" the rest of it with a brush on or spray coating???
My friend at the asylum once told me, "If you don't mess with people, how do you know they're really there?"

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

That, I don't know. Thought about that too recently. I know it has been discussed in the past, but don't think there was ever a solution or idea presented.

Hey MannequinFan! Anyone make a sprayable silicone coating yet?
Maybe the GE tube type silicone caulk diluted w/ Naptha and shot through a spray gun?
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hey guys, I would agree with RK that fiberglass is a better route. Nothing, and I mean nothing will stick to a polyethylene plastic mannequin.
Any openings for inserts can be smoothed with a bead of epoxy putty. JB WaterWeld works really well.
Unless you are really really heavy (300 lbs+) I wouldn't worry too much about breaking the MQ. If you are really worried about the strength of the MQ you can always fill parts with expanding foam.

As far as a coating for the mannequin, BJB Enterprises makes a water base flexible urethane rubber coating that is designed as a stretch paint to coat urethane foam.
http://www.bjbenterprises.com/polyureth ... ngs/sc-93/
It comes pre-thinned for spraying but I'm not sure how well it would work on painted fiberglass. I think you could also apply it with a roller.
Since the MQ is hard, I'm not quite sure what the benefits would be of using a rubber coating. It may make it feel a bit more skin like but probably wouldn't do much to make it softer.

LWhisperer
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by LWhisperer »

Ok....so if a nut...er...I mean a ....ok. .crazy with a bug up his ass made a cast of the breasts first...
...then cut them off the MQ....
.then molded them in foam on the MQ, after some "base work" inside the chest cavity...
....then coated the whole MQ in that stuff...

Durable hard doll with nice skin and soft titties?? Anyone ever tried anything like this???
My friend at the asylum once told me, "If you don't mess with people, how do you know they're really there?"

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

I would think if you left a rough flat spot for the foam boobs, they should glue on and hold OK. Might have to cut some rough chunks out of the foam base for the glue to grip. All depends on the foam.

LWhisperer
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by LWhisperer »

I was kind of thinking more along the lines of strapping the mold to the front of the MQ, and pouring the cavity full from behind.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Gotcha. Would make it smoother on the front. Just have to cut an access pour hole in the back then patch over.

LWhisperer
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by LWhisperer »

Exactly. That should keep the front smooth, and look seamless once the whole doll was coated. Right?

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

LWhisperer wrote:I was kind of thinking more along the lines of strapping the mold to the front of the MQ, and pouring the cavity full from behind.
That's actually a nice idea, I like it! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
A good silicone mold of the chest should fit nice and tight and give a good result.
The tricky part would be getting the breast mold completely covered with liquid foam before it starts to rise, which you will need to do to avoid air pockets at the skin.
BTW, that coating is pretty expensive stuff. The last I checked it was about $48 a quart.

LWhisperer
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by LWhisperer »

Humper, I'm very sorry if I hijacked your thread, and would love for you to chime in and take it back to whatever direction you wish. If I'm going the wrong way, please say so, and I'll shut up and listen. But if you're as interested as I am....

A hundred to a hundred and fifty bucks to give a skinlike texture doesn't sound bad to me. I can't imagine it taking more than three quarts. Can you?
And the thought of an incredibly durable doll with the foam breast mod and the "skin" to make the two individual materials coalesce and still carry the original beauty is a win to me. I know it wouldn't be a jiggle, but squeezable would still kick ass.
In my feeble brain, a kind of marriage between the highly desirable detail of the MQ and a similar skin to a Candy8teen might make a whipass, durable love doll.
Thoughts??

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Depends alot on how smooth it goes on. Spray or roller. Forget a bristle brush. Don't think you could do her face. I put a big choker on my doll to cover her neck joint and visually seperate the color difference between her original face and body paint that don't quite match.

Will she be naked or scantily clad?

LWhisperer
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by LWhisperer »

Hmmmm....from reading the spec sheet, which I decided I'd better download, priming with the recommended primer, then tinting the coating, and spraying very light layers over the entire MQ, face and all, is the way to go. The tint added at 3% by weight and multiple spray coats could yield a good color. The cured coating is paintable as well, so facial makeup could be airbrushed on.
This stuff gets more and more intriguing. :D

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

LWhisperer wrote:A hundred to a hundred and fifty bucks to give a skinlike texture doesn't sound bad to me. I can't imagine it taking more than three quarts. Can you?
Sounds about right, but you will also need to make the silicone mold and mother mold for support as well. So you'll need to get some Rebound brush-on silicone and maybe some Freeform Air epoxy putty for a quick mold shell, and at least one 3lb kit of Flexfoamit III - it all adds up to being kind of expensive.
LWhisperer wrote:And the thought of an incredibly durable doll with the foam breast mod and the "skin" to make the two individual materials coalesce and still carry the original beauty is a win to me. I know it wouldn't be a jiggle, but squeezable would still kick ass.
LW I'm with you 100% on that.
If I had the money to burn right now I'd be trying some of this stuff myself, but right now I'm going to have to let someone else be on the bleeding edge so to speak. :wink: :)

If you try the idea keep us posted on how it works out.

:)

P.S.
You may want to email BJB about the primer as to whether it's really necessary. The TC-89 primer sounds like nasty stuff (there's a hazardous shipping fee) - it's a 2 part product and requires a scale for mixing.
I've emailed them several times in the past and they were really nice and helpful. They said that they had clients that used the SC-92 for medical training dummies, so it's evidently good stuff. Tell them you're using it to coat fiberglass and see what they say - I'd be interested in knowing.

INFORMATIONS