can it be done

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to 4Woods
cyberscouse
Active Poster
Active Poster

can it be done

Post by cyberscouse »

OK have 4woods body 2 Hanna has fixed bits is there any mod that anybody knows off to accept inserts
is it possible to some how make a perfect cylindrical cut in the silicone to accept an insert many thanks there has to be a way cheers

G_Rider
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by G_Rider »

Hi cyberscouse;
I once made a tool to cut a cylinderical hole in foam rubber. I'm not sure of the material of the body 2 you reference but what I did was this:
I cut a length of steel electrical conduit. In this case it was about 2" diameter. Then I used a moto-tool, you know like a Dremel or such, with a drum shaped grinding bit to grind a sharp edge on the conduit.
It requires patience and care and some dexterity to keep the edge nice and even with the angle of the cut. I ground from the inside so as to keep the exact outside diameter of the conduit. Then just hold the tool in place and twist it while applying a bit of pressure.
Worked perfect for me.
Hope this is useful.
Genny Rider

EddieFr

...modified hole saw?...........

Post by EddieFr »

...if you have a hole saw you can modify, as the previous poster noted, you could sharpen the razor teeth to a fine edge. Possibly that might work as well. I have also wondered about heating up a 2" pipe so that in effect, it melts its way thru. All unchartered water, but you could be the first!....good luck!

Ed F.

sanpedro
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by sanpedro »

I've thought of the same thing. One concern would be rough edges of the cut propagating into tears if the legs are moved too far apart and the silicone in the crotch is stretched.

This is another manufacturer and a different mod, but Midiman's Bianca was made without either core for the movie, and subsequently modded by Matt with cores. At some point, material must have been removed to do this mod, how this was done could be relevant to your operation if anyone knows.

uch
Former Member

Post by uch »

To avoid the rough edges turning into a tear, cut the first inch of the hole by hand with a sharp knife. Then do the rest of the depth mechanically as you see fit.
Pre Owned Realdoll - $2500 with Visa debit card
Pre Owned 1st Pc - $1700 with Visa debit card
The day I will finally be able to use either of them after the repairs are done - Priceless

cyberscouse
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cyberscouse »

many thanks for your thoughts using a cutting tool I don't see how i would centre unless the void was filled also would a cutting tool moving into silicon cause friction / heat any ideas on lubrication no pun meant purely science many thanks

G_Rider
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by G_Rider »

On all of the 4 woods dolls I have found in my research of them the hole design is pretty much like this...

You would not want cutting 'teeth' on the tool because of course it would shred the silicone and make horrific tears. You want a very smooth and razor sharp edge. To better illustrate what I described I modeled and rendered this...

You would have to grind very carefully and slowly to get a razor edge.
If there is no opening now, and yet the doll has been cored (is that what you mean by void?) you would have to find the location by feel, or make a tiny hole and use a wire probe.
A better description of what you have, even some photos would help in finding solutions to the problem

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

I too have thought of a similar type of boring tool, in my idea of possibly giving my doll a "throat" (if the design of the doll allows it).

In my case I had planned to use thin wall tubing, "razor" sharpened on one end. However, in my design and all of the other "tools" mentioned here one important step seems to have been left unanswered: Silicone is not rock, earth or glacial ice. It is not brittle, it is extremely flexible and will not simply snap off at the end. So, just how does one manage to remove the "core" after one has bored it?
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

Nobody :?: :(
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

INFORMATIONS