Poor Dee may need neck surgery

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to 4Woods
brigittes hubbie
Media Representative
Media Representative

Re: Poor Dee may need neck surgery

Post by brigittes hubbie »

Hi Dees Man, this looks perfect to me, you did a great job, and I´m sure Sweet Dee will be very grateful, and will want to jump back into the saddle of your bike,
Chris
Click here to see my Doll Album.

Dees Man
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor
Location: DownUnder with Sweet Dee & Nikki and also MaDee, Ally, Ashley, Fubi and Kelly

Post by Dees Man »

brigittes hubbie wrote:Hi Dees Man, this looks perfect to me, you did a great job, and I´m sure Sweet Dee will be very grateful, and will want to jump back into the saddle of your bike,
Chris
Thanks Chris, she is so happy this morning, as there was also another unexpected surprise resulting from this operation, but I'll talk about that in another thread

DM

Dees Man
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor
Location: DownUnder with Sweet Dee & Nikki and also MaDee, Ally, Ashley, Fubi and Kelly

Post by Dees Man »

Nescio50 wrote:Great job :D

I'm sure Dee is happy again 8)
Thanks Nescio, she is over the moon today. She was up long before MaDee and me this morning. More about that in another thread.

This morning I had another member PM me regarding the use of superglue. This was my reply:

Before you use this glue I must say that although they say it is flexible it is still a little hard. If feels sort of like when a scab has formed on a human. If I were to do it again I would prefer a proper silicon glue. In the back of the neck it is not normally visible so I was lucky this was the place I tried it.

What I think may be possible is to use this glue to join the cut as I did leaving the edge unglued as I did, but instead of finishing the seal with superglue, do it with sil-poxy or something similar mixed some colour. That way, very little sil-poxy is required as the cut is already joined. The excess is easily wiped away before it has cured because you don't have to hold it together as you wipe it away. This would probably give the surface a better look and feel.

This has been the first operation I've had to perform. Although I am happy with how it looks, the surface does have the feel of a human scab. Again, back of the neck, out of view.

By sealing the cut entirely with silicon glue there is a risk of movement when taping and wrapping the cut. The result is unknown until it has cured and unwrapped. By only finishing the job with silicon glue would give a better more sculpted result and not require wrapping at all. I think this could be done on any joint.

Does this make sense?

Dees Man

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Post by Nescio50 »

Dees Man wrote:Does this make sense?
Personally, I would only use silicone glue, like the 4Woods repair kit, or Shin Etsu 1 component RTV, or eventually silpoxy.
Some tricks to keep the cut closed during curing of the silicone are staples (after removing, you won't see where their pins were) or have cling film tight around it.
Some more tips are in this thread.

Dees Man
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Dees Man »

Nescio50 wrote:
Dees Man wrote:Does this make sense?
Personally, I would only use silicone glue, like the 4Woods repair kit, or Shin Etsu 1 component RTV, or eventually silpoxy.
Some tricks to keep the cut closed during curing of the silicone are staples (after removing, you won't see where their pins were) or have cling film tight around it.
Some more tips are in this thread.
I have the glue that came with Dee but as that appears to be a use once item, I should save that for a more visible area. It has taken me quite a while to order more inserts and a hole cap from the Australian vendor, so to order something as simple as glue I just......face palm. I have tried the order form on 4Woods site but get no reply. I don't know if Doll Story will ship to Aus. I saw the new US site says they will ship accessories internationally when that part of their site starts operating, so they might be able to help to me.

I haven't been able to find anyone who sells sil-poxy in Aus, or anything similar. Googling sil-poxy takes me to overseas sites , so I will have to import it

If there are any Australian members who know a suitable silicon glue available in Australia, please let me know

Thanks
DM

Dees Man
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Dees Man »

G'day TDF

Back in Oct 2014 I started this thread to briefly describe the tightening of Dee's neck. A couple of months ago her neck became loose again at the same point. The offending bolt is the lower of the 2 bolts that she has to move her head forward and backward. I didn't take photos this time partly because I wanted to concentrate on what I was doing, but also because it was the same as last time.

Well, not completely the same. Rather than just tighten the existing nut, I removed that one and replaced it with a stainless steel nyloc nut. Also, even though Sil-poxy seems to be totally unavailable in Aus, Permatex Flowable Silicone Windscreen Repair is very available and seems to have worked well.

I will get a couple of pics of her new scar when I get a chance and post them. Dee's happy she can hold her head up again, especially with our 2nd anniversary today and her birthday tomorrow.

DM

Mondoon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Mondoon »

Good news Dudee. Yeah I've used Permatex it's available in the UK and good stuff.

Happy anniversary you two and Happy Birthday to Dee for tomorrow.

Mondoon and Hanna
"Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey" - John Lennon

Super Softy Monkey Team Doll Force Go !!

Hanna's Thread
Hanna's Album
Hanna's CoverDoll Shoot

brigittes hubbie
Media Representative
Media Representative

Post by brigittes hubbie »

Happy anniversary, dear Dee, and best wishes for the birthday party tomorrow, LEF send a bunch of smoochies.

Chris
Click here to see my Doll Album.

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Hey! All the best to Dee's health!
Don't be afraid of scars as this belongs to a doll owner who spends the most precious time and respect to his Sweety :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

- SF -

INFORMATIONS