Loose right arm, FeelsBadMan

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to 4Woods
thommyv

Loose right arm, FeelsBadMan

Post by thommyv »

My dolls are giving me a hard time these last few days :?
So, my S+ right arm is completely loose. I tried to get a feel where the metal is loose, but can't say for sure.
I found this picture of a skeleton on the 4Woods repairs, but am not sure if it is an actual one for the doll.
Does anyone know/repaired a shoulder and which part is more likely to break. This is pretty important since it determines whether the cut goes from the front or the side of the arm.
Thank you.

:glou:
Attachments
DSCF8666.jpg
DSCF8666.jpg (141.69 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
Current waifu: Sanhui Elfie [118 cm]
Past waifus: 4Woods AI Doll S+ [160 cm] <][> DollHouse168 KOI [138 cm] <][> WM Doll Riley [100 cm] <][> Beautiful Dolls Judy/Rose [120 cm]

Mondoon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Loose right arm, FeelsBadMan

Post by Mondoon »

Hi Thommyv, sorry to hear about your problem with your girl's arm.
The first thing you should do is contact the vendor, Japan, France or USA. I assume as you're in the UK you purchased from Doll Story, as I did. They will probably fix the problem for you. If you've had her a long time or you just want to repair her yourself then they will also give you some guidance. There was one member here who had the same problem but the repair was done in France at Doll Story. If you have no luck with Doll Story contact the USA office for advice.
There are many members here with a great deal of experience of 4Woods repairs and I expect you will recieve a reply from someone who is familiar with the shoulder area.

Good luck with the repair.
"Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey" - John Lennon

Super Softy Monkey Team Doll Force Go !!

Hanna's Thread
Hanna's Album
Hanna's CoverDoll Shoot

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Post by Nescio50 »

Mondoon wrote:Hi Thommyv, sorry to hear about your problem with your girl's arm.
The first thing you should do is contact the vendor, Japan, France or USA. I assume as you're in the UK you purchased from Doll Story, as I did. They will probably fix the problem for you. If you've had her a long time or you just want to repair her yourself then they will also give you some guidance. There was one member here who had the same problem but the repair was done in France at Doll Story. If you have no luck with Doll Story contact the USA office for advice.
There are many members here with a great deal of experience of 4Woods repairs and I expect you will recieve a reply from someone who is familiar with the shoulder area.

Good luck with the repair.
I can't give any better advice, best is to contact the manufacturer. Good luck!

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Hi thommyv,
as above mentioned, best is to contact
- Doll Story (best by phone call)
- 4woods USA/Japan (by PM or email)
When you've some mechanical/technical experience with silicone repairs I would consider that you make this repair job yourself, it's not much complicated.
It's hard to say what's the damage but it could be possible that the PVC-plastic tube is broken on the red-circled area.
When you want some help, just PM. We can repair that.

SF :D

thommyv

Post by thommyv »

Hi guys.
Yes, I am in the process of putting all the Q&A, pictures etc. together and sending it to DS Fr. Since a round trip to Lyon and back would be worth pretty much a new Riley a already ordered all the tools I need for the repair, but as being said, who knows what I'll find inside. Will put an update here later.
Thanks. :wink:
Past waifus: 4Woods AI Doll S+ [160 cm] <][> DollHouse168 KOI [138 cm] <][> WM Doll Riley [100 cm] <][> Beautiful Dolls Judy/Rose [120 cm]

thommyv

Post by thommyv »

siliconefun wrote: It's hard to say what's the damage but it could be possible that the PVC-plastic tube is broken on the red-circled area.

I really hope you ain't serious about the material being plastic, like why on the earth would 4Woods put such a material there ?! :crying:
Anyway, I squeezed her arm again and now I can sort of feel the round top of the cylinder, which means 80% chance the movable joint is broken/loose, so I can go from here ... waiting for an response from Lyon. :turn-l:

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Post by Nescio50 »

Some tubes are PVC to reduce weight. I guess most doll skeletons use PVC tubes for this reason.

If Lyon (Doll Story) does not reply to your email, give them a phone call. Miss Benmohad speaks English.

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Hi thommyv,
As Nescio said, best is to give Miss Benmohad a call prior to send an email because sometimes they don't answer promptly.
For sure the grey tubes are PVC tubes, even the 22 mm T-connector in the middle of the back.
When you can feel the round top of the cylinder that could be the aluminum connector on which the PVC tube is attached with a M5 bolt/screw but I tend more to say that the arm rotation connection came off.
Drawing1.jpg
I'm curious what really happened :?

SF

thommyv

Post by thommyv »

OK ... so today I got to my butcher cosplay and opened up Lily :twisted:

Here is the result ...
4Woods France cut instructions shoulder dmg
4Woods France cut instructions shoulder dmg
cut-area-1.jpg (34.73 KiB) Viewed 5125 times
4Woods France cut instructions for Plastic tube dmg
4Woods France cut instructions for Plastic tube dmg
cut-area-2.jpg (136.27 KiB) Viewed 5125 times
Scalpel Tool [the blades are kind of short, but did the job ...]
Scalpel Tool [the blades are kind of short, but did the job ...]
DSC00243.JPG (2.41 MiB) Viewed 5125 times
... other stuff I need.
... other stuff I need.
DSC00244.JPG (2.76 MiB) Viewed 5125 times
Shoulder joint stayed at the breakage position [metal part]
Shoulder joint stayed at the breakage position [metal part]
DSC00246.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 5125 times
DSC00247.JPG
DSC00247.JPG (1.93 MiB) Viewed 5125 times
Size of cut needed.
Size of cut needed.
DSC00249.JPG (2.41 MiB) Viewed 5125 times
Connected the plastic tube to the metal joint to straighten the arm.
Connected the plastic tube to the metal joint to straighten the arm.
DSC00251.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 5125 times
Closeup of the dmg. Awaiting instructions from 4Woods.
Closeup of the dmg. Awaiting instructions from 4Woods.
DSC00254.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 5125 times

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Hi thommyv,
that looks bad and there's no other way to replace the aluminum hinge part who's fixed onto the PVC tube.
It's however a strange fact that a such strong part has been broken in the screw boring :?
Were the shoulder joints tightened very fast that this dmg occurred or what could be the reason for this???
Although I'm thankful that you share this info and updates in this thread.

SF :wink:

thommyv

Post by thommyv »

Yeeeeeah. :roll:
So from what I saw/understand, the metal hinge was welded to the screw that goes through the pvc tube?
Would it be possible to just fill it with gorilla glue, like, I have that stuff on my number plate on my kawasaki and it holds like crazy :mrgreen: , so this shouldn't be a problem to hold it together, I just have to be extra careful when handling her.
Well, just a thought, will see what France says.

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

thommyv wrote:Yeeeeeah. :roll:
So from what I saw/understand, the metal hinge was welded to the screw that goes through the pvc tube?
Would it be possible to just fill it with gorilla glue, like, I have that stuff on my number plate on my kawasaki and it holds like crazy :mrgreen: , so this shouldn't be a problem to hold it together, I just have to be extra careful when handling her.
Well, just a thought, will see what France says.

The metal hinge is held by the M5 (8 mm wrench) or M6 (10 mm wrench) bolt/nut fixation onto the PVC tube. As you've now opened the cut it would be the all best to replace the hinge part as gluing the broken part will not last very long (too much forces).

SF

Amanda__
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Amanda__ »

How old is your doll? To me, this looks like a manufacturing fault. The shoulder should NOT break like that as long as you are using the doll under normal circumstances. If you bought the doll recently i think you should claim a new doll. Another question: Was the shoulder joint very tight? If it was to tight that might have caused this. To much tension and friction and after a while it breaks.

thommyv

Post by thommyv »

She is early 2013 production, so I can't exchange her. I expect a reply on Monday from 4Woods and will ask for the joint part to be shipped to me so I can change it. And as for the usage, I don't move the arms at the shoulder much, more at the the elbow and wrists, so I guess I got a bit unlucky, happens.

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Hang-on, soon this beauty is better like before.
2 of my gals have scars on their bodies but I love them more then ever. Perfection in detail.

SF

INFORMATIONS