Gluing a cut after a surgery

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to 4Woods
siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Gluing a cut after a surgery

Post by siliconefun »

Hi 4woods friends,
here's a small tutorial on how to close a cut after a surgery.
Best is to use the original 4woods 3-part repair kit who's provided with your new doll or who's available simply by request from 4woods (Japan/USA) or Doll Story (France).
DSC00044.JPG
Take a look at the 4woods instruction handbook on how to handle the repair kit safely.
Just check if it is still in good condition because the repair kit has a shelf life!!!
Inspect if the primer C and hardener B aren't evaporated and if the pigmented silicone A is still flow-able.
When its no more usable use a good RTV-1 silicone like Shin-Etsu, Elastosil E41 or Sil-Poxy. You can use the 2-part repair kit or the RTV-1 silicone but not both. The 2-part repair kit does not bond on the RTV-1 silicone and vice-versa!!!!

Preparation when using clear RTV-1 silicone:
- To match the dolls skin color with the use of the RTV-1 silicone you can use a powder based coloring like colored chalkboard chalk, rubbed on a piece of abrasive paper or nail file.
* Alternatively you can use makeup powder (oil-free!!) or a few drops of scale modelling color (thinner-based) but personally I prefer powder because its easier to mix.
* Best take some gluing silicone by the help of a toothpick and pick a small amount of pigments to start the batch, repeat until the color matches the dolls skin tone.
* Note: Best mix a lighter colored batch as a darker colored, otherwise you will see the difference versus the dolls skin tone on a gap.

Cleaning:
- Clean the cut and the surrounding area by the use of a fine fuzz-free cloth dampened with isopropyl alcohol. Acetone can be used to remove the paint sealer of colored areas.
- Work carefully at the edges of the cut.

Application:
- Best apply the silicone with a tongue depressor and work fast when gluing.

For thin silicone layers:
apply a thin coat of gluing silicone to the entire layer thickness of both sides of the cut and close. Immediately wipe off excessive silicone residues and take care that both layers close evenly together.
Thin silicone layer gluing.jpg
For thick silicone layers:
apply a thin coat of gluing silicone to the inner half layer thickness of both sides of the cut and close. This helps to hold the thick silicone layers in position. When cured, carefully reopen the cut and apply a coat of gluing silicone to the outer half layer thickness of both sides of the cut and close. Immediately wipe off excessive silicone residues and take care that both layers close evenly together.
Thick silicone layer gluing.jpg
To hold the silicone layers in position I prefer clear office tape.
Adhesive_tapes_clear.JPG
Here's a picture on how I used this tape to close a 2" thick silicone cut (inner half layer thickness glued, it's not the final cut closure)
DSC05177.jpg
Before applying the tape clean the area with isopropyl alcohol as on a freshly powdered surface it doesn't stick!!

Hope this helps to heal the wounds on your precious doll. Feedback appreciated, thanks.

SF :D

Mondoon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Gluing a cut after a surgery

Post by Mondoon »

Superb Guy. Many people will gain a lot of benefit from your expert instruction. It's the first place I will look if ever I have to make a major repair. Thank you for doing these amazing technical briefs, they are priceless.
"Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey" - John Lennon

Super Softy Monkey Team Doll Force Go !!

Hanna's Thread
Hanna's Album
Hanna's CoverDoll Shoot

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Mondoon wrote:Superb Guy. Many people will gain a lot of benefit from your expert instruction. It's the first place I will look if ever I have to make a major repair. Thank you for doing these amazing technical briefs, they are priceless.
Hi Mondoon,
It needs some precautions and preparations to make a repair and to close a wound after a surgery but it's "doable for everyone".
Of course the best would be to never use such threads like this but when handling the doll some romps can occur or the hinges get loosen over time because the skeleton just is a mechanical construction based on friction points.
I like want to provide my experience to show you that you don't need to fear when such flaws occur, just take the courage and do it! All together we're strong and here's a good place to share these opinions.

SF :wink:

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Hi 4woods friends,
here's a small tutorial on how to close a cut after a surgery.
Best is to use the original 4woods 3-part repair kit who's provided with your new doll or who's available simply by request from 4woods (Japan/USA) or Doll Story (France).
Original 4woods 3-part repair kit
Original 4woods 3-part repair kit
DSC00044.JPG (202.08 KiB) Viewed 948 times
Take a look at the 4woods instruction handbook on how to handle the repair kit safely.
Just check if it is still in good condition because the repair kit has a shelf life!!!
Inspect if the primer C and hardener B aren't evaporated and if the pigmented silicone A is still flow-able.
When its no more usable use a good RTV-1 silicone like Shin-Etsu, Elastosil E41 or Sil-Poxy. You can use the 2-part repair kit or the RTV-1 silicone but not both. The 2-part repair kit does not bond on the RTV-1 silicone and vice-versa!!!!

Preparation when using clear RTV-1 silicone:
- To match the dolls skin color with the use of the RTV-1 silicone you can use a powder-based coloring like colored chalkboard chalk, rubbed on a piece of abrasive paper or nail file.
* Alternatively you can use makeup powder (oil-free!!) or a few drops of scale modeling color (thinner-based) but personally I prefer powder because it's easier to mix.
* Best take some gluing silicone by the help of a toothpick and pick a small amount of pigments to start the batch, repeat until the color matches the dolls skin tone.
* Note: Best mix a lighter colored batch as a darker colored, otherwise you will see the difference versus the dolls skin tone on a gap.

Cleaning:
- Clean the cut and the surrounding area by the use of a fine fuzz-free cloth dampened with isopropyl alcohol. Acetone can be used to remove the paint sealer of colored areas.
- Work carefully at the edges of the cut.

Application:
- Best apply the silicone with a tongue depressor and work fast when gluing.

For thin silicone layers:
apply a thin coat of gluing silicone to the entire layer thickness of both sides of the cut and close. Immediately wipe off excessive silicone residues and take care that both layers close evenly together.
Thin silicone layer gluing.jpg
Thin silicone layer gluing.jpg (43.63 KiB) Viewed 948 times
For thick silicone layers:
apply a thin coat of gluing silicone to the inner half layer thickness of both sides of the cut and close. This helps to hold the thick silicone layers in position. When cured, carefully reopen the cut and apply a coat of gluing silicone to the outer half layer thickness of both sides of the cut and close. Immediately wipe off excessive silicone residues and take care that both layers close evenly together.
Thick silicone layer gluing.jpg
Thick silicone layer gluing.jpg (67.21 KiB) Viewed 948 times
To hold the silicone layers in position I prefer clear office tape.
Adhesive_tapes_clear.jpg
Adhesive_tapes_clear.jpg (47.32 KiB) Viewed 948 times
Here's a picture on how I used this tape to close a 2" thick silicone cut (inner half layer thickness glued, it's not the final cut closure)
DSC05177.jpg
DSC05177.jpg (69.92 KiB) Viewed 948 times
Before applying the tape clean the area with isopropyl alcohol as on a freshly powdered surface it doesn't stick!!

Hope this helps to heal the wounds on your precious doll. Feedback appreciated, thanks.

SF :D

INFORMATIONS