SexDollAmerica.com

Be aware of your GPS meta-data in images

Read about the latest TDF news here. Have an announcement that you would like to make? Here is the place to do it!
symmes

Re: Be aware of your GPS meta-data in images

Post by symmes »

Fantastic Plastic wrote:Now you tell me! Oh well, mine was on. Now what?
Some forums enable you to edit posts you've already made. I don't see any obvious way to do that with this forum, but maybe I'm missing something. Depending on what you've posted, though, you may still be able to do something about at least some images with sensitive metadata:
  • Profile avatars -- I've observed that, when I've changed my forum avatar, it's affected old posts as well as new ones. Your avatar is also included in all your posts, so stripping sensitive metadata from it would be at the top of my mitigation list.
  • Attachments -- This forum permits you to attach images when using the full editor. This is the method that I don't see any way to mitigate, offhand.
  • Off-forum image hosting -- If you use [­IMG] tags to embed images hosted on some other site, you should be able to replace the images on that other site and any subsequent access from TDF will show the new image. I've not tried replacing images on my Doll Album account, so I don't know offhand if it's possible to do that from there.
  • Links to other sites -- If you provide a URL (with [­URL] tags or just pasting the URL in directly), you can of course purge the linked-to site of incriminating metadata, at least if that site provides a way to do so.

Agent D

Post by Agent D »

Greetings AnonViking -
I am a little surprised there isn't more comments on this thread. You seem to share my opinion that this is a 'privacy' issue that should be addressed. When I discovered this wed morning and brought it to the attention of TDF they were responsive and posted this thread.

I had posted a reply with a photo and instantly knew that I forgot to strip the data. So I went back and edited the post to delete the photo and re send a stripped version. But as a precaution, I went back through all the threads I posted to and checked if I had forgot any others. Thankfully no.

BUT in searching through recent threads I found 8 other users who had done the same thing and left specific GPS data in their photos. I know that if I had done it unknowingly - I would want someone who discovered it to (privately) notify me so I could fix it. But I also know enough about human behavior that for ME to simply notify those persons out of the blue - many might not appreciate it. (to say the least) So I am left with an unfortunate quandary - that at the end of the day is really none of my business.

I just happen to feel this is an important issue and this follow up post is really all I CAN do in hopes that others might chime in - again - either way.

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Post by Nescio50 »

As stated when I started this thread, TDF understands that privacy is important to members.
We posted this warning as everyone needs to be aware that smartphones, tablets, computers and cameras now have GPS monitoring.
Members who don't want this data to be part of their images should disable this at their device or remove these before uploading. As discussed in this thread, it's really easy to remove unwanted meta data (EXIF data).

It was suggested that TDF might do this upon uploading. This is more complex than suggested. There are technical issues: we have uploads on TDF, The Doll Album, The Doll Harem, CoverDoll. Also, some 'strippers' might impact image quality. Next there's a copyright issue, we know that some photographers won't allow us to edit their pictures.

So again, please be aware that modern technology adds such data to images and please disable or remove before uploading your pictures if you don't want it.

piacere
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by piacere »

i use bb gun to repel all strangers finding out where i am. :2gunfire:

No but seriously for those that care about privacy issue, this is extremely important thread.

thank you
It is not how fast you go, but how you go fast.
It is not how slow you go, but how you go slow.

Agent D

Post by Agent D »

Greetings All - I thought I would bump this for the weekend - and see if anyone else has comments about whether they would want to be notified if they left GPS data in their images. I know I would want someone to notify me (discretely).

Stewie studmuffin
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Southside Virginia. A place where the men are men and the horses are nervous.

Post by Stewie studmuffin »

Agent D wrote:Greetings All - I thought I would bump this for the weekend - and see if anyone else has comments about whether they would want to be notified if they left GPS data in their images. I know I would want someone to notify me (discretely).
Yes, I would like to be notified as well.
No matter how pretty she is, there is a guy out there somewhere who is tired of her shit!

Girlfriends are for guys who haven't found the right doll yet.

I feel much better now that I've given up hope.

Stewie studmuffin
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Southside Virginia. A place where the men are men and the horses are nervous.

Post by Stewie studmuffin »

Does anyone know when phones and cameras first began to show GPS meta-data in images? In another thread, people were giving me a hard time about my ancient cell phone. But my digital camera may be even older. Maybe 10 years old. Perhaps my ancient tech stuff isn't so bad after all! :wink:
No matter how pretty she is, there is a guy out there somewhere who is tired of her shit!

Girlfriends are for guys who haven't found the right doll yet.

I feel much better now that I've given up hope.

Roger Rabbit

Post by Roger Rabbit »

I just found this online tool, it can resize an image and remove all metadata in one step. This is quite handy if posting from an iPad or similar.

https://www.imgonline.com.ua/eng/resize-image.php
No longer active on the forum...

Agent D

Post by Agent D »

Does anyone know when phones and cameras first began to show GPS meta-data in images?
Not exactly, but I recall for at least the last 4 years my iPhone photos have had GPS data. Of course, it's a setting you can turn on or off. But they've had the capability for at least that long.
I just found this online tool, it can resize an image and remove all metadata in one step. This is quite handy if posting from an iPad or similar.
Good point. I don't post directly from my iPhone and it's easy to remove exif data on the computer. But if you do post directly from ipad / iphone I just looked up this well rated app (by CNET and app store reviews) Viewexif And there are probably others.

And for the purposes of the thread, would you want to be notified? THX

Luckyducky
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Luckyducky »

Thank you for the reminder.
Don't want my doll being taken hostage while I am away.

AlexaTilbrook
Ex-Member

Post by AlexaTilbrook »

Helpful screenshot to turn off Geolocation in Android:
Screenshot_20170813-155830.png
Screenshot_20170813-155830.png (594.26 KiB) Viewed 6276 times
The "Geo-tagging" switch is white. That means it's disabled.

I have no use for Geolocation in my photos. Facebook can fuck off about me not including it.

I mostly post pictures here on TDF anyway.

Sorry about the hairy legs in the screenshot! I haven't got time to shave my legs yet... :oops:
MDBG

73 de KI5JYD

Forb
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Forb »

There are a quite few small EXIF cleaners out there. Like this one http://www.exifpurge.com/
Just run your doll pics through it and post away.
-Melissa: 2017 Sanhui 156/Amelia
-Abby: 2018 Sanhui 158/Marya

ZZZZ
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by ZZZZ »

I usually remember to turn my phone's GPS off when I'm done with the map application, but "usually" isn't good enough.
Nescio50 wrote: It was suggested that TDF might do this upon uploading. This is more complex than suggested. There are technical issues: we have uploads on TDF, The Doll Album, The Doll Harem, CoverDoll. Also, some 'strippers' might impact image quality. Next there's a copyright issue, we know that some photographers won't allow us to edit their pictures.

So again, please be aware that modern technology adds such data to images and please disable or remove before uploading your pictures if you don't want it.
I understand why you can't automate the stripper.

Would it be possible to automate the check for GPS data, and notify the poster?

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

ZZZZ wrote:
Would it be possible to automate the check for GPS data, and notify the poster?
^^^^^^^^^^^

Excellent suggestion.. would be great if it is possible. Location data is something
people just don't think about, even when they know about it.
"I used to be an airline pilot. I got fired because
I kept locking the keys in the plane. They caught
me on an 80 foot stepladder with a coat hanger."
Steven Wright

haremlover
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by haremlover »

On some phones I assume it's the "save location" setting . . .

Best wishes

Harem
Latest reviews coming for Irontech and FJ doll silicone ladies.

Chloé's book
is available from The-Doll-House
- - - -
Here's Coverdoll Yolanda
- - - -
Reviews for:
-DS-OR-JY-SY-Jarliet-Vivid-SM-SE-ZOne-JM-Sino-Sanhui-Pipedream--XY-WM-Elsa Babe-SM Silicone Siliko-XYcolo-Starpery-Elsa Babe-FutureDoll-Zelex-Irontech-FJ Doll
- - - -
YouTube Doll Review Channel
-https://www.youtube.com/@sexdoll-reviews-

INFORMATIONS