sexyrealsexdolls.com

Palm plate screws, trying to fix fingers

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to not specifically listed TPE or TPR Dolls
gen0me

Palm plate screws, trying to fix fingers

Post by gen0me »

Can someone help me identify the tool I need to remove these types of screws. I'm trying to open up the palm plate so I may replace the copper wires but I can't seem to separate the two metal pieces clamping the wires down. Its definitely not a Phillips head and I tried hex keys but it doesn't grab onto anything. The unusual part is there are what appears to be washers at the end of this screw/bolt. I don't have much experience with this.

Top side

Under side

Side view

Top side (angled)

Under side (angled)

Mondoon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Palm plate screws, trying to fix fingers

Post by Mondoon »

Hi gen0me,
They look like rivets to me and not screws. The best would be to drill or grind off the heads, remove them and replace with bolts.
"Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey" - John Lennon

Super Softy Monkey Team Doll Force Go !!

Hanna's Thread
Hanna's Album
Hanna's CoverDoll Shoot

Broven
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Broven »

I'm no expert on this kind of thing either. But, looking at the bottom side, it almost seems like some kind of rivet. ? Not at all certain. But if that's the case you would have to drill them out.

My girl has some broken fingers too, so I'm very curious to hear how this progresses. I'm pretty incompetent at all things metal, so I'm very nervous about attempting it.

EDIT: What Mondoon said. ;)

"You're my blue sky. You're my sunny day." - Dickey Betts

Anna Marie and Friends (Thindoll 162A-36)
February 2019 Coverdoll photo shoot

secretagentman

Post by secretagentman »

What doll is this? I've never seen a riveted palm plate.

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

They are most definitely rivets. They can be drilled out but take care, as there is usually a bit of mandrel (stem) left inside. This can grab a drill bit. This is not a good thing unless you can clamp the plate tightly. Try a file and remove the rivet head or maybe a junior hacksaw will work. I agree with mondoon, replace with bolts. Further to that use self locking nuts or locktite to make sure they do not come loose. Refitting rivets takes a bit of experience. Pop rivets require a special tool as do solid rivets, (squeezers) plus a bit of calculation to ensure that you have the right one. Once you have the rivets out measure the hole Diameter and replace with the screw that best fits, probably something like 6-32unc for the US or maybe 3to4mm. make sure there are no sharp metal edges before you put her back together. I apologise for any spelling mistakes or such, I've just come back from the pub.
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

gen0me

Post by gen0me »

THANKS EVERYONE! I just about took advice from everyone to drill and grind those rivets off. I got some bolts now in place, though they only come in either too short or too tall to be flush. I didn't even think about Locktite which I'll get soon before I seal that hand up. I replaced the copper wire with insulated 12 gauge wire because I saw someone here used those. Much stronger now, she can properly hold stuff now - in that hand anyways.

Slew
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Slew »

Nice work gen0me. It sure helps to be handy, keeping these ladies in good health. Well done, and welcome to TDF. :thumbs_up:

Hungry Bear
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Hungry Bear »

Wow, I never even thought or repairs to the skeleton. The main worry I have is trying to mend tears or cuts in the TPE. Any advice on an adhesive?
It is okay to feed the bear! In fact, it is highly recommended! Just be sure to count your fingers afterword.

gen0me

Post by gen0me »

bearhunter wrote:Wow, I never even thought or repairs to the skeleton. The main worry I have is trying to mend tears or cuts in the TPE. Any advice on an adhesive?
I'm actually following the advice of this user and using a soldering iron to mend the cut. He swears by it over other options like adhesives. Once the soldering kit arrives to me in a few days I'll let you know how it turns out

Its a long video but you can skip to 12:37

Super62
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Super62 »

I to am suffering a similar issue. Both hands have completely separated and flop around. I watched a video that showed a sculpting spoon that was heated up and then rubbed across the wound for finishing. it seamed to met the TPE at the top layer and blend the incision with the surrounding area. The soldering iron might work well for deep wounds and this method for finishing.

Thoughts?

Video below:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQrARHx5MzI[/youtube]

V/r,
Super62

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Super62 wrote:I to am suffering a similar issue. Both hands have completely separated and flop around. I watched a video that showed a sculpting spoon that was heated up and then rubbed across the wound for finishing. it seamed to met the TPE at the top layer and blend the incision with the surrounding area. The soldering iron might work well for deep wounds and this method for finishing.

Thoughts?

Video below:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQrARHx5MzI[/youtube]

V/r,
Super62
Yet another busted finger fix. Rivets! YaY!! Drilling rivets is better than grinding. less fine particle mess and dirt to deal with. Fixed my ladies hand too. It was a different setup than this. Just a tube with "finger" wires crimped in it.
I've been playing with a little thing I made for my soldering iron. It is like a hot knife. It is 3oz copper foil attached to my iron. I do not have a temp controlled iron. Not buying one either :) This appears to be working. It takes much practice and screwing up a little to get it good. lol
BetterTip.jpg
TPE IS VERY TOXIC WHEN IT BURNS. USE A GOOD OPEN VENTILATED AREA TO WORK IN...
Sorry to shout but it's better to be safe than sick!! Mostly anything that burns is not usually healthy :)

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

I'm no expert but will offer what experience I do have so far.
He would have gotten away with a much smaller cut on his lady. I spent A LOT of time feeling her hand and deciding where to cut. This small incision I was able to peel her hand down to the forearm to remove her wrist/fingers. Making the sealing of the cut a much smaller job.
repaired.jpg
Once you have access to the wires for fingers, pull wires out from the fingers. This will allow much more slack and you'll be able to work the TPE to where you want to work. All dolls differ from what the experienced say, but working slow and being patient definitely helps!!
Was able to peel her skin almost to the elbow with that little cut
Forearm.jpg

INFORMATIONS