sexyrealsexdolls.com

Finger wire repair

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to not specifically listed TPE or TPR Dolls
siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Re: Finger wire repair

Post by siliconefun »

Thanks carver. As said it's rather a simple design and I will try it on my 4woods lady as soon the finger wires will broke.
The fingers can be bend in 3 dimensions, just like you want.
20170530_160624.jpg
Is there any option to remove the existing (double twisted?) copper wires from all the fingers while carefully separating the TPE skin with a small screwdriver?
20170530_162445.jpg
Best would be to use an all new wire from the finger tip down to the plate (flatten tube). I'm sure in a hardware store you find some usable stuff and perhaps you can make a 'bending test'.
When you start to solder on these existing enamel covered copper wires they will become more prone to break and it's a mess to do.
These screw in wire connectors shown by Mondoon could do it when crimped, it's easier to do as soldering. Copper is a good heat conductor and it can melt/burn the thin TPE layer so take care.
20170530_163026.jpg

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

You will need to get that putty where the finger wires were attached out of there. You need to make room for new stuff to go in there.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

carver
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by carver »

Hi sf, I think replacing the entire finger wire is a bit too much. A lot easier to get another doll! The gauze wrap on the metal components make them very difficult to remove. It is messy. I'm just wondering now if the heat of the molten TPE was high enough to take the temper out (distemper)of the copper and therefore cause it to snap, as if they were aluminum instead of copper. This could be the cause of a lot of the problems with broken finger wires.
Samara, I have already drilled out most of the polyester putty from the flattened palm tube. (see photos). I know for a fact it is polyester from the smell. Its basically Bondo, car body putty. That will be the easy part. I will also put a loop at the ends to help keep them anchored in there. The big problem still remaining is to extend the existing broken wires in the fingers.

abracadabra
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by abracadabra »

I'm sorry but copper does not snap it tears. I do understand what you're saying and I do not disagree with the temperament aspect of it however it takes an excessive amount of bends to get copper to tear.
On another note this is my hand inside of a yl 148 hand.
I think sometimes people underestimate the strength of this material it's much like an egg it has its strengths in certain directions anyways food for thought
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-05-30-17-58-42.png
Screenshot_2017-05-30-17-58-42.png (2.02 MiB) Viewed 3584 times
"no matter how good looking she is, somebody somewhere is sick of her shit"

"f#ck the G-ride, I want the machines that are making em."

Nord
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Nord »

siliconefun wrote:Thanks carver. As said it's rather a simple design and I will try it on my 4woods lady as soon the finger wires will broke.
The fingers can be bend in 3 dimensions, just like you want.
20170530_160624.jpg
Is there any option to remove the existing (double twisted?) copper wires from all the fingers while carefully separating the TPE skin with a small screwdriver?
20170530_162445.jpg
Best would be to use an all new wire from the finger tip down to the plate (flatten tube). I'm sure in a hardware store you find some usable stuff and perhaps you can make a 'bending test'.
When you start to solder on these existing enamel covered copper wires they will become more prone to break and it's a mess to do.
These screw in wire connectors shown by Mondoon could do it when crimped, it's easier to do as soldering. Copper is a good heat conductor and it can melt/burn the thin TPE layer so take care.
20170530_163026.jpg
Very nice design! Very similar to what I have in mind as well. Using pieces of shrinktubes along the fingers with some additional "bone" inserted. I'm just currently brainstorming on if there is some better cheap alternative to the actual wires. Several fingers on my 140-doll are broken now so I'm considering to fix it, and also improve the functionality and overall quality while at it. Maybe even inspire some actual manufacturers to abandon the horrible wires once and for all. I'm going through boxes of electronic "trash" right now that I use for computers and such. Working on a list of things to buy when things are more clear.

I've been looking a bit on designs of soldering stations lately. Maybe they could at least provide some parts to use, like the mini ball-joints.

Aio - Sanhui 160cm AIO "Nonoka"
Rei - WM 140cm D-cup #39 & #53
Nymph - DH168 80cm "Shiori"
Ku - DS Ex Lite 163cm "Kayla"
Elva & Alva - 6Ye 65cm #M5 "Mina"

Mark Spencer

Post by Mark Spencer »

siliconefun wrote:Hi,

here's a mod I've done on a 145 cm silicone doll from a mate. This is a one year old 'test stand' I created and today I still carefully bend the 'artificial finger' without any failure.
The attachment 1.jpg is no longer available
-

Nice!
I also wonder if something like this soldered/welded to the end of the
wires would help with the poking issues..
Attachments
beads.jpg
beads.jpg (42.99 KiB) Viewed 3540 times
"I used to be an airline pilot. I got fired because
I kept locking the keys in the plane. They caught
me on an 80 foot stepladder with a coat hanger."
Steven Wright

Romulus

Post by Romulus »

This is how I make fabric hands. Maybe something along these lines could be done with TPE.
Attachments
DOLL_HANDS_0691.png
DOLL_HANDS_0691.png (608.95 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
My home-made OOAK plush doll gallery
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13765

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Very interesting posts :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

- SF -

Fantastic Plastic
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Fantastic Plastic »

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Hi,

here're the finger construction details related to my from post from May 30th 2017 http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p1108954
Finger construction details_version1.jpg
On version 1 it can happen that the 2.0 mm O.D. brass tube as well the 3.0 mm O.D. brass tube can move which is not good.
Finger construction details_version2.jpg
On version 2 I secured the 2.0 mm O.D. brass tube by soldering it onto the galvanized wire as well the 3.0 mm O.D. tube is secured by soldering so they stay more fixed in place as on the version 1 construct.
The inner 2.0 mm O.D. tube is 2 mm shorter in length as the outer 3.0 mm O.D. tube to allow a softer bending curve.
Version 1 is easier to built but I would rather recommend the version 2 construct.
20170805_221238.jpg
DSC01976.jpg
DSC01975.jpg
DSC01974.jpg
- SF -

RC3291

Post by RC3291 »

Having been an auto tech for years and having played around with RC airplanes, boats and cars I find this problem we have a challenge to come up with a durable cheap fix. I read the older post too with the pics of the broken fingers. I like Siliconfun's design for the finger. It's simple and cheap. Recessing the finger wires into the "plate" instead of welding/soldering to the edge is also a good idea. One of Holly's wrist didn't make it through our honeymoon night without any rough play and one of her thumbs has become floppy. I can move it around to a position where it feels "right" but it will not stay. Anyone have a picture of a bare hand/wrist without the TPE? I also read some conerns of trying to use heat shrink around TPE. They do make a low temp shrink tubing that activates at 176F. If we can design something easy and cheap to repair them then maybe the manufacturers wlll adopt it for OEM.
Holly 150cm of 6ye joy from BCD

dolljack44
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by dolljack44 »

I'm working my way through two recently acquired distressed dolls, an LY148 and an OR156, that need all new finger wires. The OR has the flat tube palm with bondo as above and I assume the LY is similar. I will mill out the bondo and broken wires and replace them with appropriately sized finishing nails, head facing out and insertion end bent in an L for retention in the replaced bondo to provide sturdy anchor points. the existing finger wires all broke at the palm tube and are long enough to attach to the nails with simple crimp connectors. the nail heads will assist in captivating the connectors. The existing wires can be shortened as needed to allow for the extra length due to the nails and connectors.

An alternative is to replace the copper twisted wires with Home Depot twist ties which are rubber coated wires with plastic caps. Can get two fingers per tie, and they come in a variety of diameters. They are very easy to position and provide a good option. Let me know if you folks see any flaws in my simple plan.

CinnamonLover
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by CinnamonLover »

I am overjoyed to see this thread and the ideas here. I've been attempting repairs on my WM 170, and I'm very new to the whole process (and to dolls for that matter). Well, I opened her palm to find the interior was not what I was expecting, though reasonably close. It seems they've done away with the metal coils/springs and just extended the copper wires into the palm plate.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction being made by abracadabra about snapping vs. tearing. I don't see as it is helping me understand what happened or why, or how to fix it, but I am wondering if some clue is in here somewhere?

My doll is brand new, even now only two months old, and the fingers broke very early on - before I'd had much chance to bend them at all, let alone ... uh ... tear them? But they sure look... snapped.

I've read a lot in this thread about heat and materials and solutions, and loved Seattle Slew's thread about ideas for new design, but that still leaves me with Cinnamon's broken fingers. I got in there and attempted a fix with spade terminals that is yielding some very mild results but nothing to jump up and down about.

dolljack44 I am particularly interested in your Home Depot Twist Tie concept - how would you attach those to the palm plate?
CinnamonLover. Because I love cinnamon. And Cinnamon, and Nutmeg, and Cloves! Here is our Eye Candy Thread: CinnamonLover's Spice Girls

dolljack44
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by dolljack44 »

CinnamonLover wrote:I am overjoyed to see this thread and the ideas here. I've been attempting repairs on my WM 170, and I'm very new to the whole process (and to dolls for that matter). Well, I opened her palm to find the interior was not what I was expecting, though reasonably close. It seems they've done away with the metal coils/springs and just extended the copper wires into the palm plate.

dolljack44 I am particularly interested in your Home Depot Twist Tie concept - how would you attach those to the palm plate?
This is still in the theory stage, but the plan, as described above, is to attach the existing finger twisted wires or the twist ties to finishing nails embedded in freshly replaced Bondo (car body repair filler) or JB Weld in the palm plate(tube) using simple crimped electrical wire connectors of appropriate size and wrapped with gauze as a cushion to mimic the feeling of tendon tissue. It appears that only the first three fingers of my YL148 and OR156 dolls were attached to the end of the palm tube. The thumb and little finger seem to emerge out of the sides of the tube. I assume that this procedure will apply here also, with a little finishing nail bending. As stated, this is just an idea extending the suggestions of others at this point, using materials available at Home Depot, and I welcome constructive criticism. Good Luck

CinnamonLover
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by CinnamonLover »

dolljack44 wrote:
This is still in the theory stage, but the plan, as described above, is to attach the existing finger twisted wires or the twist ties to finishing nails embedded in freshly replaced Bondo (car body repair filler) or JB Weld in the palm plate(tube) using simple crimped electrical wire connectors of appropriate size and wrapped with gauze as a cushion to mimic the feeling of tendon tissue. It appears that only the first three fingers of my YL148 and OR156 dolls were attached to the end of the palm tube. The thumb and little finger seem to emerge out of the sides of the tube. I assume that this procedure will apply here also, with a little finishing nail bending. As stated, this is just an idea extending the suggestions of others at this point, using materials available at Home Depot, and I welcome constructive criticism. Good Luck
I will keep you appraised and may have pictures / video (not so good with the video yet, lack a suitable tripod) in a couple weeks. I have some serious epoxy on order and got a video from WM Doll (thanks to SRSD!) showing how to replace fingers. Like you said, the thumb and pinky seem to be on the "sides" of the plate, and interestingly both pinky fingers are still attached and pose easily though both thumbs and all three "end" fingers on both hands have broken.

Anyway, once this epoxy stuff shows up (I probably could have found some in town but I was about to leave on a trip and I'm an Amazon Prime junkie) I will probably see if I can get the wire ties to work. One question: if the ties are made of rubber, will that affect the TPE? I am going to get a package to see what the chemicals are. See if it's a silicone, or latex, or if it's actually tpe like so many things are now!
CinnamonLover. Because I love cinnamon. And Cinnamon, and Nutmeg, and Cloves! Here is our Eye Candy Thread: CinnamonLover's Spice Girls

INFORMATIONS