betterlovedoll.com

Posting problems?

This forum is devoted SOLELY to questions and answers regarding how to use the forum and other features of the "The Doll Forum" website. Questions or help regarding dolls should be posted elsewhere. Bug reports can also all be found here. If you encounter a bug, this is where to address it.
kharn
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by kharn »

Hi Bronwen,

Erik and myself are still waiting for a response from the emails we sent to Matt regarding this problem. I also still have a PM in my outbox to you, from 3 days ago.

In order for us to resolve this problem, we need more input from either you or Matt. we have looked over both the accounts in question but found no problem. So we need Matt to go through this step by step with Erik to resolve this problem.
 Click to go to Coverdoll

synthyours
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by synthyours »

Bronwen wrote:
Chiiguy wrote:Bronwen I hope the more tech minded here (me not being one of those) gets to the root of your problem.
Me too... Matt would like to post the pictures from Yvette's birthday party...
There's no reason on our end that either LovableDolls or Knighthorse should be having access issues. Which forums specifically are you having trouble accessing?

SiliconeBud

Post by SiliconeBud »

I've been having problems posting too, in fact I couldn't post at all yesterday but today I can.

I don't know for sure but it may have something to do with me logging in from various PC's during the day. Usually I come home, grab my laptop and read a few posts. Later In the evenings is when I post but it's from a different PC. BTW I use Firefox on both machines.

Today I didn't use my laptop so currently this is my theory. Logging in from one PC, then later trying from another machine doesn't allow me to post until some sort of cache is cleared off the server????

Cheers
-OJ

synthyours
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by synthyours »

oldjacket wrote:I've been having problems posting too, in fact I couldn't post at all yesterday but today I can.

I don't know for sure but it may have something to do with me logging in from various PC's during the day. Usually I come home, grab my laptop and read a few posts. Later In the evenings is when I post but it's from a different PC. BTW I use Firefox on both machines.

Today I didn't use my laptop so currently this is my theory. Logging in from one PC, then later trying from another machine doesn't allow me to post until some sort of cache is cleared off the server????

Cheers
-OJ
That's a possibility. Just clear the cookies/cache on both machines and see if the problem persists.

It may be an issue with phpNuke and session management, but I've not had time to look.

SiliconeBud

Post by SiliconeBud »

synthyours wrote: That's a possibility. Just clear the cookies/cache on both machines and see if the problem persists.

It may be an issue with phpNuke and session management, but I've not had time to look.
That's not a bad idea however yesterday when I had this problem I also tried IE6 but still no go. As far as I know IE6 and Firefox don't share cookies????

However when this happens again I'll clear all cookies and cache for the browser.

Cheers
-OJ

synthyours
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by synthyours »

oldjacket wrote:
synthyours wrote: That's a possibility. Just clear the cookies/cache on both machines and see if the problem persists.

That's not a bad idea however yesterday when I had this problem I also tried IE6 but still no go. As far as I know IE6 and Firefox don't share cookies????

However when this happens again I'll clear all cookies and cache for the browser.

Cheers
-OJ
No, they don't share cookies.

manekineko
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by manekineko »

Bronwen,

I've sent off a note to Matt about this, but you should know that to check for the possibility of corruption regarding your account, I've renamed the old Knighthorse account Knighthorse2 and created a fresh account with the name Knighthorse. I've transferred the password and signature information to the new account, so you should be able to log into it just as you used to.

This is a test, of course. Try it out for a few days to see if it works any better. If you see improvements or encounter any trouble let me know. You will still need to log into the old account (Knighthorse2) for any PMs you received before today or to edit old posts.

If this doesn't work out we can return your old account's name and eliminate the new one.

I'm crossing my fingers for you. Let me know how it goes.
Paige and Monica: Album and Blog

Knighthorse-Test

Post by Knighthorse-Test »

ok, new account, check, test, well, we will see if this goes. Like I said though I had only one or two threads that were consistently kicking me back to the home page and not letting me post. I will do this test here, and also a test post in the threads that didnt like me. Then I will sign in with the old account and try again. Sorry if this is redundant, but lets give it a test drive and see how it goes. Thanks for the help guys!

Matt K.

noquiexis
Former Member

Post by noquiexis »

casperghostboy,

Thank you for the correct information. I looked up Ubuntu on the web and saw that it had a bundled web browser, but I did not look any further. Also, I have no experience with MAC or Linux software. My only experience is DOS and Windows.

I am glad that you have experience and can share that with all of us! :D

:: hugs :: to all the girls! :D
noquiexis
Arana ( RealDoll Face 8 Body 8 ), Lothlorien ( Matt Krivicke Doll Pixie head ) and Zanthia ( Matt Krivicke Doll Yvette ) exist only in my imagination

"To me the meanest flower that blows can give
Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears."
William Wordsworth

Obin
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Obin »

Hi Casper. I know you know this, and far, far more, but thought I'd add this for anyone who might be interested.

That Ubuntu download, unless you download the alternate installer, will run in memory live from the CD, or DVD, depending on what you download. The CD runs on a couple of computers I have with only 256 MB of memory. It's not happy with it, especially since running live, it uses a RAM drive--some memory for a virtual drive--to run the home directory on. I don't think WINE comes with the Ubuntu base install--it does with knoppix 5, 4, 3.6. What WINE does is make a "pretend Windows XP install" to run Windows programs. You can "apt-get install" it later though.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention that in case anyone wants to try that system without making any changes to their computer. A side benefit is that running the Live CD, unless you purposely do otherwise, leaves no trace of being run.

It seems that would be safe way to check to see whether it is settings on your own computer stopping some web related operation.

casperghostboy
Ex-Member

Post by casperghostboy »

hemoglobin wrote:Hi Casper. I know you know this, and far, far more, but thought I'd add this for anyone who might be interested.

That Ubuntu download, unless you download the alternate installer, will run in memory live from the CD, or DVD, depending on what you download. The CD runs on a couple of computers I have with only 256 MB of memory. It's not happy with it, especially since running live, it uses a RAM drive--some memory for a virtual drive--to run the home directory on. I don't think WINE comes with the Ubuntu base install--it does with knoppix 5, 4, 3.6. What WINE does is make a "pretend Windows XP install" to run Windows programs. You can "apt-get install" it later though.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention that in case anyone wants to try that system without making any changes to their computer. A side benefit is that running the Live CD, unless you purposely do otherwise, leaves no trace of being run.

It seems that would be safe way to check to see whether it is settings on your own computer stopping some web related operation.
Thanks for the additional info hemoglobin. I somehow forgot to include some key information about Ubuntu.

Yes, the CD and DVD versions come as either a Desktop or Alternate Install version, and IIRC, they recommend you use the Alternate Install version if you have 256 MB of RAM if you want to install Ubuntu permanently because there would usually be not enough memory to run the Live Desktop and the ubiquity installer at the same time. Even though the PS3 version comes in both Desktop and Alternate Install versions, but the ports page says that the Desktop CD defaults to installing Ubuntu permanently because there will not be enough memory for running the desktop and the installer at the same time, even though there is another boot option to boot to the desktop without making changes. And I forgot to mention, the Alternate Install version uses the text-based debian-installer, which is the default install option on "pure" Debian (the type you get from debian.org, not anywhere else). It's pretty straightforward, in fact, IIRC, the priority is set to either high or critical (can't remember which of the two it is), unless something goes horribly wrong and you're dropped at the installer's main menu. (Of course, you can change the installer's priority level with a command at the boot prompt.)

WINE, yes, is not included with a base Ubuntu install. In fact, it's in the universe repository last time I checked. But that's easily fixed with a "sudo apt-get install wine" command. In fact, I did that this morning. But WINE is not perfect, in fact, some games will run slow as molasses in January or not at all. Microsoft Office after Office 97 is junk in WINE, so don't bother getting Office 2007 and trying to run it in WINE.

And there are plenty of good Live CD distributions, Knoppix and Ubuntu without installing are a few of them. It's great, as you said, if some setting in your computer prevents you doing something on the Internet or to test anything on your computer. And it's great for using someone's computer because some of them let you put a "perpetual home directory" on a USB stick so you can have your own computer no matter where you are, no matter which computer it is. And if you don't make drastic changes while in the Live CD desktop to the host computer, you can leave absolutely no trace of you being on the computer.

So, thanks again hemoglobin for some additional information and also I hope I added some more, because a lot of people are moving to Linux pretty recently, and while the new Mac commercials are showing people moving to Mac because of the uncertainty of upgrading from XP or Vista to Windows 7, but not many people can afford an entirely new computer, because you can only run Mac OS X on Apple computers (even though I know of some sweet tricks you can do [like a special piece of hardware that gives you the EFI ROM that Mac OS X needs to boot] to use Mac OS X and Windows on stock hardware, but the hardware has to be nearly identical to a Mac's innards), so they can be free of the encumberance of Windows but without splurging for new hardware. And really, the only hardware you need to get Linux is a decent high-speed connection (or someone who's willing to download it for you), a blank CD-R or DVD-R (or a few, you might want to download the additional CD's of that distribution, or you might burn a few duds; or you might want to burn extras to give out), a CD-R or DVD-RW drive and that's basically it. Once it's burned, you got yourself a free (both in freedom and price) operating system, and you can give it to as many people as you'd like and not have someone breathing down your neck for software piracy, like you would with distributing copies of Windows unauthorized. But if you don't have a decent connection and are willing to wait a few weeks to have them shipped from overseas (they come from the Netherlands--AlexKnight's country), you can get Ubuntu CD's shipped to you for free using the ShipIt service. But the best thing about it, the longest I've waited was three weeks for the CD's to be in my mailbox, but they warn that the longest they can take is 8-10 weeks.

Of course, His Gateness (Bill Gates and Microsoft) sees Linux as a threat to the overall Windows market share, but why are computer makers like Dell selling computers with Ubuntu preinstalled? I bought a laptop with Ubuntu 7.04 preinstalled instead of going with what it is supposed to, Windows Vista, from Dell and every device was working fine. I put Windows XP on it when I sold it of course, but before I did, it was running 8.04 LTS. I did every distribution upgrade when they came out faithfully.

OK, I said enough. But Daphne is one hell of a Linux geek because I made her that way, even though she was somewhat before I knew her.

CGM, Kathryn, Daphne and Nicki
CasperGhostboy, Daphne and Tiffany

My Doll-Friends: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=10382

The best part of waking up, is Ubuntu in your cup!

Salvo69ag
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Re: Posting problems?

Post by Salvo69ag »

Does anybody know why my emails are going to the outbox instead of sent folder? I have a feeling the people I am trying to contact are not getting my messages.
Thanks

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Re: Speaking of cookies...

Post by Szalinski »

Have you tried clearing the board cookies? I don't mean on your computer, there is a tiny link at the bottom right of the main board. When things start fouling up it's the first thing I try; it doesn't always fix the problem but many times it does.

:oops: :oops:PS! sorry, I didn't notice the posting date.
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Re: Posting problems?

Post by Nescio50 »

Salvo69ag wrote:Does anybody know why my emails are going to the outbox instead of sent folder? I have a feeling the people I am trying to contact are not getting my messages.
Thanks
Nothing wrong! Nothing to do with cookies or browser cache :wink:

A PM remains in your outbox until the recipient has read it.
This is different from most email systems, but now you know when a message has been read!

:glou:

P.S. Also nothing to do with the 2009 posting problem :mrgreen:

INFORMATIONS