betterlovedoll.com

Posting problems?

This forum is devoted SOLELY to questions and answers regarding how to use the forum and other features of the "The Doll Forum" website. Questions or help regarding dolls should be posted elsewhere. Bug reports can also all be found here. If you encounter a bug, this is where to address it.
Bronwen
Ex-Member

Posting problems?

Post by Bronwen »

Hi, this is a quick question for Admin. I'm wondering if there is a glitch or something in the system this morning. TDF was running super slowly for me in bouts this morning and Matt has tried posting from his KnightHorse and LD accounts but cannot make any new threads or respond to some posts (he can respond to others)... I heard from a couple of other people I was speaking to today that they cant post either. Obviously if posting is a problem people cant speak up here but I figured I'd throw it out in case it's a quick fix.

kharn
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by kharn »

Hi Bronwen,

All the accounts seem to be active, but we have let the site admin know. If you are still having probelms in a few hours, then please let us know. This also goes to anyone else that has posting issues on the site.

Cheers,

Kharn
 Click to go to Coverdoll

manekineko
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by manekineko »

Matt wrote me earlier. I've double checked permissions and nothing seems amiss. My day job is keeping me from being timely, but I'll keep looking. From what Matt described one thing I would suggest is to clear your browser's cache information. The symptoms sound similar to an issue I've encountered before after changes to server permissions. Everything looks right on my side now but a few folks might have been got in the middle when there were a few tweaks this afternoon. This is an educated guess, of course.

So clear the cache and restart your browser. Let me know if it helps. I'll keep looking on my end once I have time this evening. No quick fix, I'm sorry to say. If some other admin has suggestions, let us know.
Paige and Monica: Album and Blog

Chiiguy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Chiiguy »

I'm not sure if this is related or not but I've had problems ever since I've joined with trying to start a new post. More often than not I have to give up. I can usually post in a established thread but rarely am I able to make it work the first time. I have a high speed connection and do not have this problem in any other forum that I am a member of.
<br />Anything that is made
by man starts as a dream before becoming reality.<br /><br />

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi all,

There's a song in Dutch

Ben je geil of wil je koekje!
Which means, Are you horney or do you want a cookie?

Any way, I know, Internet Explorer 8 has often the cookie settings wrong, to have TDF working well you need to accept cookies, nothing wrong with it, but its just a thought that not accepting them could cause weird errors...
It sits darn far away in IE8 that setting, menu extra-> internet options-> tab privacy-> button advanced and then there are 2 check boxes for accepting cookies.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen
One dream, one mission...

Chiiguy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Chiiguy »

Hmm, actually I figured out what the problem is. This site just doesn't like my browser. Gods I hate IE. But I guess I will just have to use it when I want to start a new thread. Sigh.

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Chiiguy,

I don't know where you "on", which browser U use, though TDF works right for me with both IE8 and Firefox, if I accept cookies.

Mytime & Helen & Carmen
One dream, one mission...

noquiexis
Former Member

Post by noquiexis »

Chiiguy,

You could try Mozilla Firefox 7.7Mb.

America OnLine (AOL) has discontinued support for Netscape

Other Browsers

Wikipedia has a web browser comparision article.

casperghostboy uses Ubuntu. He can tell you what he thinks of it.

For an ISP (another thread) you may have to go dial-up. Some are as low as ten bucks a month, but you lose features like online storage and personal website.

Hope this helps!
noquiexis
Arana ( RealDoll Face 8 Body 8 ), Lothlorien ( Matt Krivicke Doll Pixie head ) and Zanthia ( Matt Krivicke Doll Yvette ) exist only in my imagination

"To me the meanest flower that blows can give
Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears."
William Wordsworth

manekineko
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by manekineko »

Being a Mac user I'd forgotten all about the recent IE 8 release. I was wondering what could have changed that would be causing folks so much trouble. Sounded like a cookie issue but I just couldn't imagine why. Now we know.

Thank you, Mytime!

Bronwen
Ex-Member

Post by Bronwen »

We are using Firefox over here so IE is not the issue for us. We also allow cookies and keep the cache etc cleared...

Campdaan
Ex-Member

Post by Campdaan »

I have a Cookie in my Cache that is not about to be removed...

manekineko
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by manekineko »

campdaan wrote:I have a Cookie in my Cache that is not about to be removed...
Now that's the kind of cookie I prefer to be dealing with! LOL. Thank you, Campdaan! :D

Well damn, sorry to hear that isn't the cause of the issue for you, Bronwen. I was so very hopeful. I believe Matt mentioned that the problem was only happening in certain forums as well, which is very strange but was crossing my fingers that it was a fluke.

Do you know if this problem can be replicated on different computers? I'm curious. Many of the Windows security options are tied to the OS, not the browser, so it's worth seeing if this problem is tied to your account or the machine.

casperghostboy
Ex-Member

Post by casperghostboy »

noquiexis wrote:casperghostboy uses Ubuntu. He can tell you what he thinks of it.
May I remind you, noquiexis, that Ubuntu is a Linux operating system, not a Web browser. Ubuntu, like most distributions of Linux, comes with Firefox, so what matters somewhat with Firefox for Windows and Mac usually applies for the Linux build of Firefox.

Of course, with Linux, you're free to use any Web browser you'd like (except IE, but there is a universal package [works in all Linux distributions] called ies4linux that would install IE versions 5, 5.5 and 6 [7 and 8 require a "WGA [Windows Genuine Advantage] check" before it's installed, so they're not included], but you need Wine on your computer before it's installed), so I can use Firefoxes 3.0 and 3.5 on my computer without conflicts at the same time.

But Ubuntu has many advantages over the commercial OS'es like Windows and Mac OS X. Ubuntu (and pretty all of the Linux distributions) come with all the software you need installed "out of the box" like Firefox and OpenOffice.org (a free alternative to Microsoft Office), a full-fledged email client (Evolution) and an IM client that talks to most of them (Pidgin). And that is just the beginning. Usually you'd have to download or purchase additional software with Windows and Mac OS X to get most of the out-of-box experience that you usually get with Linux. And if you need more than what is installed, you can always cue up your package manager and download more.

And another advantage of Ubuntu and many other Linux flavors is that you don't have to worry about viruses, worms, and many of the other things that plague Windows.

And my opinion of Ubuntu? I love it. While Windows 7 has reduced its memory footprint so it can be used on netbooks with 1 GB of memory, but I know you can run Ubuntu on an older computer (even the most recent versions) that has only 256 MB of RAM. And that includes the FULL desktop and everything. Windows XP suffered somewhat under 256 MB, Vista and 7 would refuse to run with that much. And Daphne is going to give me a PS3 for Christmas, and I have read that the system has only 256 MB of available RAM to it. And yet it has a customized G5 processor. So if Ubuntu can run on a PS3, it can run on older PC's that someone may have sitting in his/her closet so new life can be breathed into them.

CGM, Kathryn, Daphne and Nicki
CasperGhostboy, Daphne and Tiffany

My Doll-Friends: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=10382

The best part of waking up, is Ubuntu in your cup!

Chiiguy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Chiiguy »

Thanks for the info everybody. I will investigate some of those options.

Bronwen I hope the more tech minded here (me not being one of those) gets to the root of your problem.

Bronwen
Ex-Member

Post by Bronwen »

Chiiguy wrote:Bronwen I hope the more tech minded here (me not being one of those) gets to the root of your problem.
Me too... Matt would like to post the pictures from Yvette's birthday party...

INFORMATIONS