betterlovedoll.com

Chatroom access.

This forum is devoted SOLELY to questions and answers regarding how to use the forum and other features of the "The Doll Forum" website. Questions or help regarding dolls should be posted elsewhere. Bug reports can also all be found here. If you encounter a bug, this is where to address it.
Slate
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Slate »

jackrabbit wrote:...We need to switch to a chat system that works with macs too, or figure out why this one doesn't. I find it extremely weird that three different browsers have the same problem.
Hi Jackrabbit.

I tried it with my Mac (G3, System 9.1, Explorer 5.1.6) and I could log on, but when I typed a message and hit "send" it just sits there, and never puts my message on the screen.

Oh well, no chattin' on the Mac. :cry:

--Slate
[i][b]Inflatables...[/b]learn them, love them, live them![/i]

jackrabbit
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by jackrabbit »

Yeah, I'll just have to give up on chat. The mac works for most everything else. I'm about to move the billybox into another room and I'll probably just keep it turned off most of the time. It won't be worth the effort to turn it on just for chat.
Jack Worthington Rabbit, Esq.

Boater
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Boater »

I guess the chatroom ain't for me either. I have Windows XP on this puter and even tho I can get into the chat, I can't see what I type and doubt I would see anything anyone else would type either. Oh well....such is life.
"You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips..." "The Righteous Brothers"

Ishtaria
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Ishtaria »

Has anyone thought of trying to find a replacement for the existing chatroom? :roll:

I'm all ears.

Yet another option is to go over to http://www.gtchat.de/main_en.html, get on their forum and find out if there are fixes or work around for these problems.

Come on guys, stop whining and do something constructive. :roll:

Ish

--------------
Edit: replaced "forum" with "chatroom" (which is what I meant to say)

jackrabbit
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by jackrabbit »

I thought the chat system was totally independent of the rest of the forum. Isn't that why it has a separate login? Nobody was complaining about the main forum.

Ishtaria
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Ishtaria »

Hi JR,

Thanks! I meant to type "chatroom" rather than "forum."

I really need a proof reader. :lol:

Thanks,
Ish

jackrabbit
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by jackrabbit »

I went to the site specified. There was no mention of the mac anywhere that I could find, including the faq and current list of bug reports. The requirements page just lists required browsers, and makes no mention of machine or operating systems. My mac browsers are above the minimum supported version.

I could log a bug report, except that the form wants to know what version of perl is in use.

A quick scan of the bug report forum (which appears to be for administrators, not users) didn't show up anything similar to my problem, though admittedly I didn't look at all the stupid, nondescriptive titles such as "found a bug".

I fear that if I post in the forum myself, it might go something like this:

Me: I am having a problem with chat on a mac. Using three different browsers, I get only a blank screen after logging in.
Them: What version of perl is the server using?
Me: I don't know.
Them: What operating system?
Me: BSD, I think.
Them: What version?
Them: did you install chat with the Bugaloo Option?
Me: I don't know, I didn't install it.
Them: Did you enable frammeting?
Me: I don't know, what is frammeting?
Them: did you install the Placebo Module?
Them: did you configure sliding rachets?
Me: I don't know, I didn't configure it.
Them: try installing the lastest version of honk.pm
Me: I don't have write access to the chat system.
Them: if you're just a user and can't fix it even if we tell you what is wrong, why are you bothering us?

Slate
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Slate »

jackrabbit wrote:...I fear that if I post in the forum myself, it might go something like this:
Hi Jackrabbit.

You probably won't even get that far as soon as they say... "have you turned off ALL your system extensions?" 8O

I feel your pain,
--Slate
[i][b]Inflatables...[/b]learn them, love them, live them![/i]

Ishtaria
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Ishtaria »

Hi JR,

Wait! The "what version of Perl are you using" question is to trouble shoot an installation that is not working. That's not the case. It's NOT a server problem, it is a client problem.

You need to have them focus on a client problem. The server installation is working fine. (It's their javascript that is the problem.)

But, for the record:
Perl 5.6
Linux 7.2

Ish

jackrabbit
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by jackrabbit »

The plot thickens. They have a list of sites using their chat, including a couple in english. Just for the hell of it, I tried one of them and it worked. There was nobody there to chat with, but I could get in, which is more than I can do from the mac here. I could see stuff other than the logo, and it looked the same as chat does here when I use the PC. I could enter test messages and they showed up in the scrolling area as they should.

So that indicates there's not an inherent incompatibility between their chat and mac browsers.

Or at least there hasn't always been. This problem may have been introduced in 0.95, as 0.93 was in use at the site that worked.

It would have to be either that or something different about the configuration of the two sites.

jackrabbit
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by jackrabbit »

Actually, now I see that the forum chat is also running 0.93 (0.95 is a development version), so it has to be something in the configuration. Again, I can access a different site running that version, i.e. supposedly identical software.

Ishtaria
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Ishtaria »

Hi JR,

All of the config options are on an online menu. Would you feel like playing with it?

Ish

jackrabbit
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by jackrabbit »

Well, I guess if I can do it in a way that won't mess anybody else up, since the other forum members aren't having any problems. Is it possible to create a dummy instance of the chatroom, at a bogus url, to fart around with? It doesn't matter if I'd be in there by myself. I think if I can just get in, as with that other forum, that would be sufficient. Then I could tell you what worked, and you could make the same change to the real chatroom.

jayo215
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by jayo215 »

Once I got past making another logon, I had no trouble. It's been fun. I had thought it would be a pain having the two different IDs for this one site, but it's been working out well enough.

One comment: I have trouble using it with MSIE 6. But it gives Opera 7 fits--I'm not sure why. I think the refreshes are knocking out the focus on the message bar. So I'm typically logged in at DF with Opera and the chat module with IE. No biggie.

Two questions:

1. What is SAFE MODE? I looked through various helps but I didn't see that defined.

2. What are the guidelines on what can go on in there? The other night I was on with several people and I was heading from PG-13 to NC-17 with one of the femmes. What is the guideline on content, if it's not obvious that you're ruining a simultaneous conversation?

Ishtaria
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Ishtaria »

Hi JR,

There's a ton of HTML & template editing that goes into creating a new instance of the chatroom. Why not just mess with the live one, and if it get's messed up, we can just restore the config file.

I'll PM you the admin password.

Ish

INFORMATIONS