betterlovedoll.com

TDF Member Ranks

This forum is devoted SOLELY to questions and answers regarding how to use the forum and other features of the "The Doll Forum" website. Questions or help regarding dolls should be posted elsewhere. Bug reports can also all be found here. If you encounter a bug, this is where to address it.
Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Re: TDF Member Ranks

Post by Szalinski »

I shant be satisfied until I hath attained the level of GOD!

ImageMUAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAHAAAAAAA!Image
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

narcissus
Former Member

Post by narcissus »

My rank is about to change. I would like to see if someone could just wipe out that ranking just below my username. If we can't customize, or abolish the rank system, then can I at least, have mine wiped cleaned? I don't want to be known as a "Doll Guru" especially. I might post this in the help forum so it's seen. While you are at it, what are those diamond thingies, too? Wipe those off too, if one even can. :)

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

narcissus wrote:My rank is about to change. I would like to see if someone could just wipe out that ranking just below my username. If we can't customize, or abolish the rank system, then can I at least, have mine wiped cleaned? I don't want to be known as a "Doll Guru" especially. I might post this in the help forum so it's seen. While you are at it, what are those diamond thingies, too? Wipe those off too, if one even can. :)
I don't think the diamonds can be taken off, but the rating can. Note the Mod, Admin and doll accounts are all named by title, not posting rank.
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

AlexKnight
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by AlexKnight »

We could give members the option to choose their own title, but that would cause even more work for Management, because if we give one member the option to change their title, we would have to give everyone that option. Customizing it would have to be done manually by an admin, it's not automated.

The Doll Account title was made for a specific purpose, that's the same with all the other special titles, like Moderator, Manafacturer, and such... they all serve to create a clear view in which member is what.

Customizable titles for members doesn't quite serve a purpose, other than to grant a members personal preference.
And in the end, it would create even more confusion for new members.

So, I'm sad to say, a Doll Guru you are, and a Doll Guru you will be, at least... until you reach 5000 posts, then you'll be a Doll God :wink:
Check out Kayla's Christmas dress by clicking here. - December 17, 2015
or have a look at Ashley's Coverdoll release by clicking here - June 13, 2015

A must-see video on Realdoll softness! Click here!

Here's my Doll Album, with pictures of Jenna*, Melissa*, Kayla & Ashley, and some other things: Doll Album Gallery
*I no longer have Jenna or Melissa.

narcissus
Former Member

Post by narcissus »

:cry:

I don't like the ranking and don't like those diamond thingies. Maybe I should pick up my sword on the previous page in this thread and try to cut them out!

Futile.

Maybe I can beg? I'm already down on my knees worshipping my idolls, as it is ;).

Please pretty please, just wipe off my current ranking and leave it blank! Oh!

I wonder how many folks here would like to see it say "ex-member"?? :P

TDF_Management
Staff
Staff

Post by TDF_Management »

TDF stopped taking member donations after the ownership change, hoping that the manufacturer advertising would cover the costs. What we did not anticipate was the additional growth the changes would bring with it. This resulted in a necessity to increase server and backup capacity in the spring.

So the question is, "What might someone be willing to pay yearly for a special Rank & Graphic? Would a $10 / year seem reasonable, seeing it also goes into keeping the forum alive? Or would a one time fee of perhaps $25 be acceptable? Name and graphic would have to be approved by management and would work much the same as personalized license plates.
Of course this is all hypothetical and could be limited by system resources.

Maybe we need to poll members on this idea.

TDF Management and Owners

narcissus wrote::cry:

I don't like the ranking and don't like those diamond thingies. Maybe I should pick up my sword on the previous page in this thread and try to cut them out!

Futile.

Maybe I can beg? I'm already down on my knees worshipping my idolls, as it is ;).

Please pretty please, just wipe off my current ranking and leave it blank! Oh!

I wonder how many folks here would like to see it say "ex-member"?? :P

narcissus
Former Member

Post by narcissus »

TDF_Management wrote:Maybe we need to poll members on this idea.
I actually like the idea, but I don't know how many people actually care much about their ranking and titling as much as I do and would be willing to pay. I'd pay to have my ranking and my diamonds stripped, not only to make me happy, but also give back some to the forum that has been very good to me for having such a place for doll owners, admirers, Makers to talk doll, show and tell, and sell. :) A place to hang out and have fun! :)

Having a larger avatar would be cool!

Elle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Elle »

Hi,

I don't know if it has been already said, but the rank at the top of the avatar is an essential information when you read a forum. For example :
If i read a forum, searching for tips in repairing my car, i seriously look at the rank of the member who has given a tip to know if that is a serious tip. A lot of false informations are present on the web and being a regular member with a high rank is an important parameter in appreciating his posts.

The number of posts should not be the only parameter which defines the rank, you should add the date of joining ; and you should do a mix of this two parameters to define the rank. Narcissus would not be "dol guru" yet and would be more at ease with his rank :wink:

In my opinion, a free defined rank is not a good idea.

Cheers,
Jihan & Elle
__________________ ALL DOLLS ARE WELCOME... SUBMIT YOUR DOLL TO THE MATRIX __________________ My Website
ImageImage

IanEvans
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by IanEvans »

Elle wrote:In my opinion, a free defined rank is not a good idea.
So I guess that means I could never be a Doll Beeblefitzer, huh? Or a Doll Parakeet, or even a Doll Spork? Darn... :roll:

Click above to view my albums. :mrgreen:

You never truly feel that another person loves you. You can only react to the way they behave towards you. And when I look in Caley's eyes and see that same bittersweet longing I feel for her, whatever part of my brain knows it's not real doesn't seem to care...

EBF
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by EBF »

Elle wrote:I don't know if it has been already said, but the rank at the top of the avatar is an essential information when you read a forum. For example :
If i read a forum, searching for tips in repairing my car, i seriously look at the rank of the member who has given a tip to know if that is a serious tip. A lot of false informations are present on the web and being a regular member with a high rank is an important parameter in appreciating his posts.
I disagree, number of posts and amount of posts doesn't necessarily mean anything about the information the poster provides. If someone who owns several RDs joins the forum today, that person can provide more useful information about them than I can, even though I am much longer on the forum and have more posts.
On the other hand I can provide more useful information on 4Woods dolls than most of the people who have more posts than I have.
So the number of post and date of joining are not essential at all.
Most of us remember Technoguy who had an opinion on about every doll available but was often contradicted by users who actually owned a doll that he was posting about. But due to that he was on the forum a long time and had accumulated a lot of posts many newbies assumed that he actually knew what he was talking about, while he didn't. Because the joindate and number of posts are always mentioned it puts attention to it, while in fact it is not really relevant.

IMO is the ranking useless.
I have two AI Neo Yuki dolls: Erika and Kim Ishino. They've got their own thread in the 4Woods forum.
Kim has a girlfriend: Erika Juliana Clark, she's got her own thread in the Yourdoll forum.
And then there is Alexandra Seizinger, who also has her own album and thread.

Lexi (a Phicen/TBleague doll) likes to travel.

Apronista
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Apronista »

I'm a newb but I think this ranking thing is really, really silly. As an alternative, something I think would be more useful to see would be a stickied thread with a list of folks who are great to get advice from concerning all manner of doll-related things. Y'all could suggest people who are experts in different doll brands or areas or just general knowledge gurus, and us newbs would have one thread to look through to get an idea of who would be the best folks to ask about certain things. Just my .02

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

AlexKnight wrote:We could give members the option to choose their own title, but that would cause even more work for Management, because if we give one member the option to change their title, we would have to give everyone that option. Customizing it would have to be done manually by an admin, it's not automated.

The Doll Account title was made for a specific purpose, that's the same with all the other special titles, like Moderator, Manafacturer, and such... they all serve to create a clear view in which member is what.

Customizable titles for members doesn't quite serve a purpose, other than to grant a members personal preference.
And in the end, it would create even more confusion for new members.

So, I'm sad to say, a Doll Guru you are, and a Doll Guru you will be, at least... until you reach 5000 posts, then you'll be a Doll God :wink:
How about just the simple option of no title?

And as for it being essential, just because someone has a large post number doesn't mean he or she can be trusted any better, only that they have gotten away for so long without being kicked off the board. Personally I think the ratings should be just that: A rating of the members actual value and should be earned. Either by how helpful they have actually shown themselves to be, how valid their information has been and/or by how trustworthy they have actually been.

In one of the RC forums I visit (WattFlyer) they have a button in the lower right of every post that let's anyone who reads it tally a "Thanks" if what was written has helped them. The number of times a member has been thanked is actually displayed under the members name: "has been thanked x times in y posts".

I'm not saying we need this accessory, but you get the idea.
~ George Washington

midnight
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by midnight »

I'm not so concerned about my "title," but maybe someone at the higher level could re-instate my original join date and total posts :roll:

Elle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Elle »

Szalinski wrote:Personally I think the ratings should be just that: A rating of the members actual value and should be earned. Either by how helpful they have actually shown themselves to be, how valid their information has been and/or by how trustworthy they have actually been.

I agree with that, it's the best solution. I know one french forum which applies it. You can give one point to the authors of every posts using the 'thumb_up' button
(you can take one point away too, using the 'thumb down' button but not a good idea imo)

And the result appears in the total amount of points

:wink:
Jihan & Elle
__________________ ALL DOLLS ARE WELCOME... SUBMIT YOUR DOLL TO THE MATRIX __________________ My Website
ImageImage

Rollins

Post by Rollins »

I just want to be "The Shogun of Doll City"

whenever that might happen :wink:

"Am I the slickest?" > Veronica: "Sho nuff."
"Am I the mirrored
shade wearing dork of all time?" > Veronica: "Sho Nuff."

"Am I the baddest, lowdown mofo and
sex machine to all the chicks like Shaft?" > Veronica: "Sho Nuff!"

WHO AM I?

"THE SHOGUN OF DOLL CITY!" Kiss my Airwalks. :drinking:

Okay I'm just being a dumb ass. But seriously I think ranking is cool. I've ran a few BBS Forums since 1998 myself at differing times and coming up with stuff was always fun, as well as attaining certain ranks at established communities. I'd second donating money via PayPal for custom ranks and stuff like that too. Once something is set in stone, if this becomes something actually put into motion $10.00 a year, heck even $20.00 is nothing.

INFORMATIONS