betterlovedoll.com

TDF Member Ranks

This forum is devoted SOLELY to questions and answers regarding how to use the forum and other features of the "The Doll Forum" website. Questions or help regarding dolls should be posted elsewhere. Bug reports can also all be found here. If you encounter a bug, this is where to address it.
Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Re: TDF Member Ranks

Post by Szalinski »

narcissus wrote:I came back on here tonoght after a long hard night of work, only to find that my pretty flower

IS GONE!

:cry:

Oh! Who is that in there anyways, John Lennon? It's an eye sore to me!

Oh! :cry:

I am now an even bigger TDF Rank System Abolitionist than before!
I'm not! I love my new banner! :thumbs_up:
Give narcissus back her daffodil if she want's it, but I wanna keep this one!
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

zazakell
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by zazakell »

narcissus wrote:
zazakell wrote:I once learnt some good advice a long time ago:

"If it aint broke, don't fix it".

paying for a name......are you joking? If TDF has a financial problem then try to find another way of raising cash. I think paying for a name is crazy.....there's no sense to it whatsoever. So the member with the most money gets a special name? What about the member who's on SS benefits and can only just afford to pay for his PC and connexion? This would make TDF financially discriminatory.
I don't see the whole discriminatory thing, it would be like anything else that costs money, then. Anyone who can't afford X, it's discrimination against them? This sounds egalitarian.

You say it ain't broke, don't fix it, then go on to try to fix/change part of it with advice/suggestion. I say, tear the whole damn thing down! I'd argue "Doll Guru" is misleading to members, because I can post 2,000 posts in the music thread, and have no real knowledge about dolls, or at least DEMONSTRATE that I do, yet get the title anyways, etc. I've already brought this all up. The Doll God thing too, can be offensive to some, etc. I don't want to be a Doll GOd, because I consider the Doll Makers, doll Gods, because they are their creators. At first, when I saw Doll God in itsme's title, I thought that that was why. Tear the whole damn thing down! ABOLISH the rank system entirely, it's not necessary at all, is it? Keep the staff ones up, the media account, the photographer one, things like that, and if people want special ones, either let them have it with approval, or purchase for a certain amount with approval by admins/mods, or not have them at all.

DOWN WITH THE TDF Post RANKING SYSTEM!

But... I don't know if the system can be turned off or not. :cry: Just have to work on the titling then?
Narcissus,

I think you're a nice guy, but why the whole anarchist theme. I've just re-read your post and to me your saying what a lot of us long time members say but in an inflamatory way. There are two ways to change things. First is the diplomatic way of discussion and mutual agreement. The second way is anarchy and terrorism. Is that what you really want?
You have NO power on TDF, ergo, anarchy and terrorism will not work.

Don't you think it's better to get a consensus by democratic discussion and then try and influence TDF Management?

BTW before the forum changed management, you were senior member full stop. No Doll Guru. No Doll God. An example from the Japanese. I used to study and practise Carate. In Japan there are three coloured belts ; White; Brown and Black. then of course you go into Black belt dans. The Person that trained me is called Masafumu Shiumitsu, he is one of the greatest Carate experts of his time. He is an International judge now, but he tought me the mental side of Carate.

In Europe they have white belts, yellow belts, red belts....etc...all the colours of the rainbow belts; why? Because European students need more mental stimulation to reach easier goals otherwise they'll give up, where as the Japanese are are more mentally harder and will fight for longer to obtain the brown and black belt. I hope you understand what my example tells you.

Regards.

zazakell
Honi soit qui mal y pense. (Shame on those who think evil of dolls)

Bianca
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by Bianca »

Thanks Zaz, for your words. The old saying goes, "You get more with a spoonful of sugar than a pint of vinegar." :)
TDF is now much more democratic than ever before and member input has resulted in more change and direction than ever before. If enough people want or don't want a feature it will be acted upon by management.

We understand your frustration, narcissus. We're sorry, but the green graphic just was not working with the blue forum theme. A few 'gurus' also complained about it.

The current one is playing on a movie the Love Guru - which was a fairly popular comedy.

We thought this might ring in more popular.

All this said, we DID get a flower in the new graphic.

We are also discussing the possibility of custom member ranks which could be made available for a small fee. It is not a matter of covering our costs as TDF is now self sustaining. However, if a service like this were offered for free, we could be run off our feet tending to them. Just like custom license plates for cars - to those who want to pay the fee, they can have their name on them. What's fair and what's not fair as to opportunity? Equal opportunity is just that. Everyone has the right to participate, but is it right to cap more affluent members. Would this be any different than prohibiting those same members from posting or featuring more than one doll at TDF?

In the mean time, narcissus, Midiman was wondering if this custom avatar might help soothe the pain.
avatar-narcissus.jpg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
You have full control over your Avatar :)

Impani, we are also working on reorganizing the ranks and adding more into the system. Possible after the first 1000 intervals could be reduced to 500 posts, so you don't have to look at the same rank forever :) One of our volunter staff is working on things right now, and perhaps he could drop by here and bounce some of his excellent ideas, many of which come from this thread.

One other thought that hit my mind is that for those wishing to OPT out of the ranking system, a special rank could be created (similar to the staff ranks) which would merely state 'Member' of 'Active Member'. It is not possible to turn off the number of posts displayed, but just like using a custom rank, the rank would be unaffected by the number of posts.
xxxooo Bianca
COVERDOLL
Galleries at ...
Coverdoll | Doll Forum

Bianca
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by Bianca »

Vanessa wrote: I like that idea very much, or being able to chose an individual title depending on the number of posts. But why not do both ? I'd know a good title for me, but with me it won't show anyhow because of the "official title". So why not do both, a title depending on the number of posts, above the avatar, and one title below, where all members can enter whatever they want, regardless of who or what they are...
Actually you do have both. You can put any title you want in your Avatar, including a flashing gif for multiple personalities :)
xxxooo Bianca
COVERDOLL
Galleries at ...
Coverdoll | Doll Forum

zazakell
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by zazakell »

Bianca wrote:Thanks Zaz, for your words. The old saying goes, "You get more with a spoonful of sugar than a pint of vinegar." :)
Bianca/midiman its amazing how different nationalities have similar expressions. The French say:

"You can attract more flies with honey than you can with vinegar". :lol: And it's so true.

zazakell

Bianca
Site Owners Group
Site Owners Group

Post by Bianca »

zazakell wrote:
Bianca wrote:Thanks Zaz, for your words. The old saying goes, "You get more with a spoonful of sugar than a pint of vinegar." :)
Bianca/midiman its amazing how different nationalities have similar expressions. The French say:

"You can attract more flies with honey than you can with vinegar". :lol: And it's so true.

zazakell
Hey, it may not be a nationality thing. it may just be my inability to remember sayings :)
xxxooo Bianca
COVERDOLL
Galleries at ...
Coverdoll | Doll Forum

narcissus
Former Member

Post by narcissus »

zazakell wrote:Narcissus,

I think you're a nice guy, but why the whole anarchist theme. I've just re-read your post and to me your saying what a lot of us long time members say but in an inflamatory way. There are two ways to change things. First is the diplomatic way of discussion and mutual agreement. The second way is anarchy and terrorism. Is that what you really want?
You have NO power on TDF, ergo, anarchy and terrorism will not work.
I did have power. Flower power on TDF. Then it was quickly taken away. It worked for like two days, until fellow Doll Gurus didn't like my flower power, ganged up on me, and crushed it, by slamming a different banner on it! Now we have some hippie looking guy excercising his flower power over all Doll Gurus.
Don't you think it's better to get a consensus by democratic discussion and then try and influence TDF Management?
The entire forum could reach a concenus, and all say as one, that they want the system left alone and the titles left alone - but - that still does not change the fact that titling by post counts, does not necessarily mean that the member is what they are titled and can be misleading. An active poster, they can be inactive for a long while, and still have the title as active posterr, or not be here long and be a senior member, know almost nothing about dolls, yet be titled a Doll Guru or God. I do not need numbers standing beside me, or supporting me. I need just me.
TDF is now much more democratic than ever before and member input has resulted in more change and direction than ever before. If enough people want or don't want a feature it will be acted upon by management.
What about just ONE person?
We understand your frustration, narcissus. We're sorry, but the green graphic just was not working with the blue forum theme. A few 'gurus' also complained about it.
A few? They prefer this one? I am compalining about this one. Am I the ONLY one? Then take the pretty flower out of the lush green garden, and transplant it into the proper colored background to match the blue background then. If it really was a problem with matching, then you'd of done just that. What else was complained about about it?
The current one is playing on a movie the Love Guru - which was a fairly popular comedy.
[...]
We thought this might ring in more popular.
NOT with ME. Though I do find it clever.
All this said, we DID get a flower in the new graphic.
Yes, :thumbs_up:.
We are also discussing the possibility of custom member ranks which could be made available for a small fee. It is not a matter of covering our costs as TDF is now self sustaining. However, if a service like this were offered for free, we could be run off our feet tending to them. Just like custom license plates for cars - to those who want to pay the fee, they can have their name on them.
This will solve my problem, my battle, but not the war, against the post ranking/titling, so to speak. I'd be so happy and content enough with that, I'd shut right up. :)
In the mean time, narcissus, Midiman was wondering if this custom avatar might help soothe the pain.
You have full control over your Avatar :)
I certainly do! :)

Thank you for listening to me, management.

If the "voice of reason" won't work,

As they say, "Money talks"

(it's an idiom: "Money talks.
Fig. Money gives one power and influence to help get things done or get one's own way.)

Who needs sugar?

Not me.

zazakell
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by zazakell »

Hi narcissus,

I don't know exactly how many wars are going on at the moment but I'd just like to talk about one which is in my neighbourhood. For hundreds of years the Irish and the English fought over independance for Ireland. Although we have a ceasefire at the moment with the IRA and they've been accepted into the Northern Ireland Governement. It's still not over.

The Governements (or management if you prefer) have decided that democracy will decide. Not Arms. Not violence. It hasn't worked. The only way to make things work is through discussion and mutual agreement.
You can pay the Irish any money that you like. Will it make the protestants go home? I don't think so.
You think money talks. Look how much money the USA and it's allies have pumped into Africa, Iraq, Afghanistan. Is it working? I don't think so!

You wanna pay for a flower......good luck to you...but just think of the members who can't afford to pay. I don't agree....money doesn't talk, not for real values. I could give you examples of various politicians, but forum rules will not allow me.

Regards.

zazakell

narcissus
Former Member

Post by narcissus »

Hi, zazakell.
zazakell wrote: You wanna pay for a flower......good luck to you...but just think of the members who can't afford to pay.
Again, this goes with anything I purchase, that others can't afford. I am a janitor, so there is MUCH I can't afford. Does that mean BMW should shut down, since I can't afford one? I bet midiman wouldn't like that one. Just like with ANY purchase, it's there for those that can afford it.

But yes, I did think of other members, that's why I wanted to bring down the system, change the title names at the very very least, but that is not working, too big of game. That's why I am focusing just on me. I thought the only thing standing in the way, would be financial reasons, because that keeps being brought up. I would resort to sugar, but it's not going to work, since I am not in good standing with all members here. :cry:

<---- Everytime I look over and up at it, I get annoyed. If only I had a few people to stand with me, I'd get my way. That's democracy for you. Who cares about what's right or wrong, it's ONLY the numbers that matter.
I don't agree....money doesn't talk, not for real values. I could give you examples of various politicians, but forum rules will not allow me.
Yes, lobbying too happens, that's also democracy for you.

So if the voice of reason and money doesn't talk in MY case (I have no idea why it wouldn't), sugar is not going to work for me either.

I'll just be a loser then.
One voice drowned out, by a chorus of others.
As Ayn Rand said, "the individual is the smallest minority."

Maybe since the forum is titling members, I can challenge each and every title, asking for supporting evidence, or it's a forum rule violation? :)

As you can see all I have left now IS vinegar! ;)

Just kidding. I'm not intentionally trying to cause any trouble. I haven't learned how to compromise on principles still after all these years, so I can ony do one thing - try not to look directly at my Doll Guru banner and title that are eye sores to me.

AlexKnight
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by AlexKnight »

So the member with the most money gets a special name? What about the member who's on SS benefits and can only just afford to pay for his PC and connexion? This would make TDF financially discriminatory.
If we were to offer the option of a custom title by payment, it's the same as any other luxury item.

There are a lot of people who can buy an Audi R8, I want one too... but I can't afford a car which costs as much as a house. Does that mean, the car industry has a financial problem? Not in my opinion.

The entire world is financially discriminatory... because for any luxury item you can think of, there will be people in the world who can't afford it.
Check out Kayla's Christmas dress by clicking here. - December 17, 2015
or have a look at Ashley's Coverdoll release by clicking here - June 13, 2015

A must-see video on Realdoll softness! Click here!

Here's my Doll Album, with pictures of Jenna*, Melissa*, Kayla & Ashley, and some other things: Doll Album Gallery
*I no longer have Jenna or Melissa.

narcissus
Former Member

Post by narcissus »

Thank you, Alex.
AlexKnight wrote: for any luxury item you can think of, there will be people in the world who can't afford it.
Right, and I am usually always among those people.

f80man
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by f80man »

AlexKnight wrote:
So the member with the most money gets a special name? What about the member who's on SS benefits and can only just afford to pay for his PC and connexion? This would make TDF financially discriminatory.
If we were to offer the option of a custom title by payment, it's the same as any other luxury item.

There are a lot of people who can buy an Audi R8, I want one too... but I can't afford a car which costs as much as a house. Does that mean, the car industry has a financial problem? Not in my opinion.

The entire world is financially discriminatory... because for any luxury item you can think of, there will be people in the world who can't afford it.
How about a tax on every one, then we can buy one for those who cant afford one. (Oh wait we already do that dont we, sorry) :)
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for Monks.

AlexKnight
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by AlexKnight »

narcissus wrote:Thank you, Alex.
AlexKnight wrote: for any luxury item you can think of, there will be people in the world who can't afford it.
Oh, I wouldn't say that, you have 6 dolls, and a seventh on the way, a bunch of clothes, wigs and things like that, there are people who only have a few hundred bucks to spare for a doll, and would be jealous about your collection.
Check out Kayla's Christmas dress by clicking here. - December 17, 2015
or have a look at Ashley's Coverdoll release by clicking here - June 13, 2015

A must-see video on Realdoll softness! Click here!

Here's my Doll Album, with pictures of Jenna*, Melissa*, Kayla & Ashley, and some other things: Doll Album Gallery
*I no longer have Jenna or Melissa.

narcissus
Former Member

Post by narcissus »

Szalinski wrote:I'm not! I love my new banner! :thumbs_up:
Give narcissus back her daffodil if she want's it, but I wanna keep this one!
I'm a male, not female.

The banner is fitting though for other fellow Doll Guru's, how many I do not know, but they are in the majority here. It's not fitting for me. Clashes horribly with my avatar. I'd probably have my title customized as "poeticus" to go with my username, it would be the genus and species name, then. If I had an image up, it would be my pretty flower, except with it centered and in a background to match the forum some. Something like that perhaps. But I am not giving it much thought because it might not happen. :cry:

narcissus
Former Member

Post by narcissus »

AlexKnight wrote:
narcissus wrote:Thank you, Alex.
Oh, I wouldn't say that, you have 6 dolls, and a seventh on the way, a bunch of clothes, wigs and things like that, there are people who only have a few hundred bucks to spare for a doll, and would be jealous about your collection.
Context is needed here:

What those people should know then, is that I CANNOT afford a roof over my head, food in my fridge, more dolls in my bed, and nice clothes/perfume/wigs/shoes for them, without working OVERTIME. Due to court orders against me and my voluntary investments and of course the taxation on my earned income, my pay would be LESS THAN $400.00 every two weeks. Without working overtime, I wouldn't have the means to attain all those values as I do right now. So I would DEFINATELY be among those people, if I didn't work as much as I do. I can only admire those that have, not be full of resentment or even jealous of them. When I see midiman with his cool BMW and expensive dolls, I'm not jealous, but admire those that have and can afford things, that I cannot. Same goes for abilities. I admire Perry's photo's, Stacy Leigh's, but I do not hold any resentment towards them, because they are my betters in photography. There are plenty of people that are way way WAY more intelligent than I am, and I can only admire those not as dense as I.

INFORMATIONS