betterlovedoll.com

Question regrading search engines

This forum is devoted SOLELY to questions and answers regarding how to use the forum and other features of the "The Doll Forum" website. Questions or help regarding dolls should be posted elsewhere. Bug reports can also all be found here. If you encounter a bug, this is where to address it.
Scooter
Location: in the Orion Arm, within the Local Fluff of the Local Bubble

Question regrading search engines

Post by Scooter »

Are there any areas on TDF that are "off-limits" to the search bots and spiders that crawl the web? Not necessarily via robots.txt, but prohibited from viewing even from a "guest" stand point.

Before I post some things, I'd prefer them not to show up on a Google search here which can be associated with other sites that I'm active on.
I drank WHAT?!!!! - Socrates

jonn
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Re: Question regrading search engines

Post by jonn »

Based on a little experimentation just now with google, if you post such things in members-only areas they should be safe from search engines. Try it yourself. Find a distinctive thread that has been around a while in Dolls In General - Members Only and you shouldn't be able to find that thread with google or another search engine. But if you google search for a thread in an open subforum, such as Inventors Corner then you will find it easily.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Screen name is a given. However, there are certain topics which I'll have to bow out of then as even though the screen names are different, talking about my dog would be a dead give away due to her being unique (not to mention, the breed isn't a widely owned breed).

AlexKnight
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by AlexKnight »

Members Only forums will be crawled by search engines. Google for some reason won't show the threads, but Bing for example does.

There are some areas that are off-limits, but those are all special forums, like the hidden forum for the meets, and of course the staff-related forums, but all the forums that are open to you as you join, are open to the search bots.

If you want to be "anonymous" here, the best thing to do is to make sure you use an alias that you haven't used anywhere else and never to post your email address or other private information. If you need to post an email address for whatever reason, simply make an email address that's exclusively used for the forum, like I have done.
Check out Kayla's Christmas dress by clicking here. - December 17, 2015
or have a look at Ashley's Coverdoll release by clicking here - June 13, 2015

A must-see video on Realdoll softness! Click here!

Here's my Doll Album, with pictures of Jenna*, Melissa*, Kayla & Ashley, and some other things: Doll Album Gallery
*I no longer have Jenna or Melissa.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Got it. Thanks! :)

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Post by Nescio50 »

AlexKnight wrote:Members Only forums will be crawled by search engines. Google for some reason won't show the threads, but Bing for example does.
Still learning ... I thought I knew search engines to crawl members only forums too, and then I searched for stuff in Dolls Alive using Google, and couldn't find anything. Should have tried Bing :wink: Well, all clear now :D

INFORMATIONS