betterlovedoll.com

Request to add encryption

This forum is devoted SOLELY to questions and answers regarding how to use the forum and other features of the "The Doll Forum" website. Questions or help regarding dolls should be posted elsewhere. Bug reports can also all be found here. If you encounter a bug, this is where to address it.
wackyphill
Active Poster
Active Poster

Request to add encryption

Post by wackyphill »

This is more a request than a bug, but hopefully this is still the correct place to post this.

I think it would be good really good idea to add an SSL certificate to the TDF web server at some point. Here are a few reasons:

1) Obviously it's more secure
It would be nice not to have the content of posts transmitted in the clear over the network and it would be REALLY nice not to have people's login passwords transmitted in the clear. I know this is not a financial institution or dealing with nuclear codes but in 2017 it should probably be on every site specially when ...

2) The certificate is free.
Certificates used to cost money, but with the great success of LetsEncrypt.org now everyone can get certificates from a certificate authority free of charge. I've used it and the process is so automated it's really no big deal to get up and going.

3) Google will like you better
Don't know if you care, but Google prioritizes sites that use HTTPS over those that do not in search results.

4) Faster more efficient transmissions over HTTP2 require it
The newest protocol HTTP2 (which reduces the transmission overhead significantly) is only supported over an encrypted connection.

5) I'd have less warning messages to deal with
It would be nice not to have my browser warn me each time I login that the login is not secure :)

Tsall
Server Admin
Server Admin

Re: Request to add encryption

Post by Tsall »

There is a Let's Encrypt certificate, try https://www.dollforum.com/forum/
I use TDF via SSL only.
Mara (Dreamdoll Tania) - holiday trip (outdoor photos) and introduction
Lucia (Passiondolls 160cm Muscle Doll) - introduction and photos
Keira (Phicen Arhian Pirate) - outdoor adventures

wackyphill
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wackyphill »

Oh, I see. It's just not redirecting people to it. Might be worth doing that.

Thank you.

Sofos
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Sofos »

wackyphill wrote:Oh, I see. It's just not redirecting people to it. Might be worth doing that.

Thank you.

There was a thread a few months ago about this exact thing.... this shows it's really needed. No idea why there is no redirect.

Nescio50
Site Manager - CoverDoll
Site Manager - CoverDoll

Post by Nescio50 »

You are able to visit TDF using https.

I will check with management and server admin if a redirect could be implemented.

ZZZZ
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by ZZZZ »

Nine times out of ten I get to TDF by clicking a link in a "Topic reply notification" email. It's a "https://www.dollforum.com" address. Sometimes the link is to some weird IP address (numbers) though, and I get asked to log in again.

INFORMATIONS