teddy-babes.com

Cleaning Teddy Babes

The place to discuss our plush companions made by Eighth Wonder LLC.
synthyours
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Re: Cleaning Teddy Babes

Post by synthyours »

plushero wrote:Thanks for that. I will see if I can get some tomorrow.

I like her standard hair so will stick with that just now, as long as I can keep it looking good anyway. I have been looking at other hair though, in particular a short one for night time but havent found I like yet..at least not for a price I can afford. Never knew wigs were so expensive 8O .
Try WOW Wigs

plushero

Post by plushero »

Thanks for that......saw some I liked and good prices. Unfortunatly I'm in UK and postage is $35, plus I would probably get hit with £12 handling charge at this end...so will need to see if i can find some this side of the pond.

Ursa_Major
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Ursa_Major »

Hi Plushero,

Try http://www.valentinewigs.co.uk/ .

I bought a couple of wigs last year for Fay from the Hairaisers 'Secrets' range. They sometimes have some styles at discounted prices too.

plushero

Post by plushero »

Thanks Ursa_Major.

I had a look..seem to be discontinuing that range but I have found another site or two linked from that one, so will be sure to get something :) . 'Pity her standard hair is a bit tangle prone as I do like it. I spent a good while yesterday washing and conditioning it so hopefully it will last till I get Penny new ones she likes. Definitly need a short one for night time though; I know the look I like best but getting exact style not easy.

plushero

Post by plushero »

Hi,

Just wondered if the insert pocket in TBs pulls out for cleaning? If not, whats the best way to go about it?

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

As many of you probably know I am the proud owner of a "new" Classic Diana which, as I understand it, is made of a fabric that does not come from the supplier in the "dark" color, but the color is dyed in by 8-W. How they do this when polyester is hydrophobic I do not know, but as the color was not manufactured into the fabric in it's creation, I am doubting it's resistance to being attacked by certain chemicals.

Anybody know which ones can be used without fear of my Nubian prize fading? Her skin is already lighter than Sharon's "tanned" skin right out of the box, she can't afford to get any more pale!
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

IanEvans
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by IanEvans »

Szalinski wrote:As many of you probably know I am the proud owner of a "new" Classic Diana which, as I understand it, is made of a fabric that does not come from the supplier in the "dark" color, but the color is dyed in by 8-W. How they do this when polyester is hydrophobic I do not know, but as the color was not manufactured into the fabric in it's creation, I am doubting it's resistance to being attacked by certain chemicals.

Anybody know which ones can be used without fear of my Nubian prize fading? Her skin is already lighter than Sharon's "tanned" skin right out of the box, she can't afford to get any more pale!
Oops, I forgot to tell you this. :oops:
I did a test on the leftover fabric from her breast reduction with Resolve carpet cleaner (the liquid spray, not the foam; same thing I use to clean my girls), and the color was unaffected. :thumbs_up:

Click above to view my albums. :mrgreen:

You never truly feel that another person loves you. You can only react to the way they behave towards you. And when I look in Caley's eyes and see that same bittersweet longing I feel for her, whatever part of my brain knows it's not real doesn't seem to care...

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

NotMyName wrote:
Szalinski wrote:As many of you probably know I am the proud owner of a "new" Classic Diana which, as I understand it, is made of a fabric that does not come from the supplier in the "dark" color, but the color is dyed in by 8-W. How they do this when polyester is hydrophobic I do not know, but as the color was not manufactured into the fabric in it's creation, I am doubting it's resistance to being attacked by certain chemicals.

Oops, I forgot to tell you this. :oops:
I did a test on the leftover fabric from her breast reduction with Resolve carpet cleaner (the liquid spray, not the foam; same thing I use to clean my girls), and the color was unaffected. :thumbs_up:
Thanks Name. I was actually thinking of sone of the spray on "dry cleaning" carpet/fabric cleaners when I read about not giveng her an actual bath. All she gets is cuddling at night while I'm sleeping (extremely comforting, BTW), but even though I never go to bed without bathing first I still wash my sheets periodically! :mrgreen:
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

synthyours
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by synthyours »

I have no idea exactly what kind of dye EW used on the Diana model, but Siege brand Teddybear Cleaner is a pretty safe bet.

Puppeteer

Post by Puppeteer »

A small favor to ask, if I may.

I cannot see the posted images here, so when offering product suggestions, will everyone please write in text the name of the product? TIA.

My TBD Carly needs to freshen up a bit before our next date... :wink:

Puppeteer

Post by Puppeteer »

One more thing: The Pussy Velour insert seems to be machine washable. I have now washed the insert by machine only once, but it came out just fine without damage to the retention ring, no lost stictches etc. Don't know if that's the way one is supposed to clean the insert, but it worked fine for me. :thumbsup:

IanEvans
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by IanEvans »

Puppeteer wrote:A small favor to ask, if I may.

I cannot see the posted images here, so when offering product suggestions, will everyone please write in text the name of the product? TIA.

My TBD Carly needs to freshen up a bit before our next date... :wink:
This is what I use, with much success:
resolve.jpg
resolve.jpg (197.25 KiB) Viewed 6084 times
Resolve Triple Oxi Advanced

You pretty much follow the instructions on the bottle. It's best to spray it in a sweeping motion so you don't over-saturate the fabric, or else you'll need so much water to rinse it that she'll take forever to dry (and you run the risk of rusty finger wires). Just spray a light layer of foam and let it sit for five minutes, then rub it out with damp washcloth (the most important thing is to get the dirt out; a hint of suds will remain, and this will disappear as she dries). You may want to at least use a hairdryer on her fingers so they don't rust, otherwise it's best to rub her down with a fluffy towel and let her air dry. The only thing you'll want to wash differently is the face. Rather than spraying it on directly, spray some into a corner of a washcloth and gently dab it into place, carefully avoiding her lips and eyes. Likewise you'll want to avoid getting her lips and eyes wet when rinsing, so use it sparingly.

Click above to view my albums. :mrgreen:

You never truly feel that another person loves you. You can only react to the way they behave towards you. And when I look in Caley's eyes and see that same bittersweet longing I feel for her, whatever part of my brain knows it's not real doesn't seem to care...

Joe Bin
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Joe Bin »

I see there is lots of good cleaning products discussed here but what should I use to sterilize a Teddy Babe? I just bought a second hand Lesa. Although the previous owner cleaned her up fairly well, I would like to sterilize her myself for my own piece of mind. I looked at those UV wands, but I am sure there has to be a more economical way.

john1972
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by john1972 »

Ok here is a question I dont see much talk about..
I have been using a spray on Detangler on my TBD hair..
It seems that maybe its causing build up in the hair and making it feel not smooth
after it drys a while.. (Ratty and tangling more)
Im wondering if I can wash her wig and get it brushed out without ruining it...

Puppeteer

Post by Puppeteer »

"Sterilizing" anything made of cloth is impossible. "Sanitizing" is easy. I would use a very, very mild solution of mild detergent (Woolite) mixed with just a few drops of chlorine bleach, if you're concerned about leftover DNA. Again, the solution has to be very, very mild, with the scent of chlorine barely perceptible. Use a soft brush to gently scrub the doll's fabric, then rinse again with a fine mist of clean (preferrably distilled) water. Use a hair dryer/blow dryer to dry the doll. Be sure to avoid contact with her eyes and lips, as even the mild chlorine will cause problems to these areas.

You can verify the absence of DNA by using a common "black light" or visible ultraviolet light, available everywhere at low cost (a "currency counterfeit detector" penlight will do the job). Glowing areas indicate human secretions.

Regarding the wig: Yes, the wig can be washed using wig shampoo. Shampoo for human hair is not acceptable; you must have a shampoo formulated for synthetic wigs. Remove the wig from the doll and if you have one, pin it to a styrofoam wig block/wig stand. Lather, rinse and repeat, then follow up with wig conditioner (not wig detangler, which is a different product). We successfully shampooed our Carly TBD's hair using this method, but be warned...it takes a couple days for the wig to fully dry before you can replace it onto the doll. Blow drying works, but be sure to use low heat to avoid melting/loosening the hair strands. Always use a metal comb to brush out synthetic hair.

HTH

INFORMATIONS