Starpery.com

How to Make any size doll from 3d model without 3d printer.

Got an idea? Need an invention?
MrBrown
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

How to Make any size doll from 3d model without 3d printer.

Post by MrBrown »

Finlay i have managed to unlock my account and now i have something interesting to tell you.

Couple days ago i've come up with very intresting igea of how to make soft foam dolls or whatever 3d model you have without expensive equipment. and yes they can be huge or small.
So, the idea is fairly simple. You build up layer by layer cutting them according the templates that you made.

Here is a list of equipment and materials that you are going to need

- Hot knife (the one that has hot wire and hot rod to cut, like on the picture. I didn't find it quickly so i managed to make my own out of junk)

- 3D software that you familiar with (Cinema 4D in my case)

- Projector or printer A3

- sheets of paper (240g/m2 density works good. Below this will be too soft)

- sheets of 2cm (can vary) foam rubber

- foam rubber glue (i used Dunlop K-72 glue)

- scissors and sharp knifes.

Here is a step by step explanation of how i did it with projector method cause i don't have A3 printer.

Step 1
Pick a model!
I found on web a female 3d model. It was a basic model, not very high poly, but you don't need it anyway. Right now i found a better model using free DAZ 3D software and a basic model. DAZ is a great piece of software where you can modify poses and figure, breast size etc. so im going to stick to it.

Image upload image

Step 2
Slice your model!
The idea is to get an outline of every 2cm(or whatever foam thickness you have) of a model, but remember, thicker foam will be less detailed but faster, so 2cm is a good choise. I made a plane object that intersects with body and makes outline anywhere i want. So by lowering the model each 2cm i am getting nice outline for template.

Step 3
Calibrate your projection!
Make a cube in a 3D software with 40cm walls and measure the image of this cube on the wall. If its off the 40cm then adjust the scale of the viewport and make it 40cm in real life)). Switch to frontal projection and recalibrate the cube. At this step you can scale your model to desired height. once you did this, switch to top projection and prepare to step 4.

Step 4
Drawing
Place you model feet on the plane and low it down for 5mm in software to get nice 1st outline of the feet. Place a paper on the wall and draw outline on paper (DRAW ONLY 1 LEG). 1st template is done! Place number 1 inside template and front facing arrow. Low down your model deeper inside the plane for 2cm and repeat the process. To keep templates alignment when you cut them, you need to make 2 vertical tubes in the legs and body about 2cm dia located near each other. Each template will have 2 circles.

Step 5
Cut
When you are done drawing, its time to cut out all templates. Cut according to the outline and make 2mm holes in the center of each circle. Nothing to tell here.

Step 6
Take template number 1 and 2 and place them one on top of another with numbers facing up or down (if you make leg/arm you dont need to make 2 sets of templates. To make left leg template should be facing up and for the right they should be facing down)
Measure the foam and cut roughly small piece. Remember, always check you a measuring the foam with the current and next level template cause the next level is bigger or another shape and you can miss the edge.

Step 7
Allign
Place 1 template with number facing up and insert 2 nails in the holes yo made earlier. they should be 90 degree to the template, otherwise the next level will owt off alignment. Penetrate the foam ad place №2 template on nails with number facing down. look at them from the side and check that they are 90 degree to template and parallel to each other. If you are making legs or hands than you can just hold it by hand but if you are making a body then you have to use small amount of glue to keep alignment.

Step 8
Cut!

Heat up your string and begin to cut guiding the outline. It's tricky to watch 2 sides at the same time but a bit practice and you will be fine. Repeat it with all layers. By using the previous template you can achieve a perfect seam. Mark foam with number and front arrow and repeat whole process using next layer. You will end up with layer pattern 1-2 2-3 3-4 4-5 5-6.... and so on. When you done, apply glue and try to connect layers as correct as possible.Here is some photos.
32 size EU (23cm)
Image image hosting
Image uploads
Image upload image
Image image upload

So, in conclusion. This method is super flexible. you can model pvc skeleton inside 3d model and add cutout for it on each layer, ending up with very accurate model. Currently i want to make real skeleton out of styrofoam with this method and add it to a model. I have allready made 1 leg (from 1st model), 1 feet with metal wire between layers, 1 breast, and ass part. Its soft and flexible (not as silicone)
Speeking of costs. i think its possible to make 160cm doll with 100-150$

More posts to come.

MrBrown
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Re: How to Make any size doll from 3d model without 3d print

Post by MrBrown »

Like MRI! Hee is all the layers

pup001

Post by pup001 »

That's very crafty!

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hey Mr. Brown welcome to TDF! It's cool to see someone doing this!
Some of us had discussed something similar a few years ago, except it was with rigid foam for making a full size BJD...

viewtopic.php?p=736950#p736950
viewtopic.php?p=826709#p826709

I'll be eager to see how your project turns out.
Looks like you're doing an excellent job, especially with getting the layers lined up so perfectly!

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

JimScythe
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JimScythe »

Have you considered just cutting the sections out of molding clay and then using the form to create a fiberglass mold? Seems to me that this technique could be use to make traditional silicone and TPE dolls as well. I'm also wondering if you could somehow run a thick, bendable wire frame through the foam so that you could pose the doll.

MrBrown
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by MrBrown »

JimScythe that doll was supposed to be a cheap and easy alternative. Yes your theory can live but you have to make sheets of clay 2cm thick.
Speeking of skeleton, you can add whaewer you want inside during assembly. PVC, metal, wire etc. And i will make it soon
Here are some photos of leg and butt))
looks realy good espetialy in pantyhose. Bends well but needs skeleton.

Image photo hosting
Image upload image
Image upload jpg

The Doll Laboratory
Manufacturer Affiliated
Manufacturer Affiliated

Post by The Doll Laboratory »

Hello Mr Brown,

Very interesting technique! :thumbs_up:

The Doll Laboratory
The Doll Laboratory Stories - Erotic Comic featuring my Dolls
Teeth&Tongue set 4.0 - Add expressions to your Doll

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

One thing I think that needs to be mentioned here regarding safety is to avoid polyurethane foam if you are using a hot wire for cutting.
PU foam doesn't melt like styrofoam, and if it burns it can release some fairly dangerous fumes (cyanide gas I believe 8O ).

I think the safest most recommended tool for cutting soft foam is an electric kitchen knife.
It appears to work pretty well in this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqodjNexy7w

Again, very nice work Mr. Brown, but please be very careful!

MrBrown
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by MrBrown »

MannequinFan wrote:One thing I think that needs to be mentioned here regarding safety is to avoid polyurethane foam if you are using a hot wire for cutting.
PU foam doesn't melt like styrofoam, and if it burns it can release some fairly dangerous fumes (cyanide gas I believe 8O ).

I think the safest most recommended tool for cutting soft foam is an electric kitchen knife.
It appears to work pretty well in this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqodjNexy7w

Again, very nice work Mr. Brown, but please be very careful!
Don't worry I have ventilation system. Like fume extraction for soldering iron. And btw PU only emmits dangerous fumes when it burns and it's not cyanide. Besides I'm meeting it, not burning so it's quite safe

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

MrBrown wrote:And btw PU only emmits dangerous fumes when it burns and it's not cyanide.
Sorry, but you are incorrect.
From Fire Science Reviews...
https://firesciencereviews.springeropen ... 016-0012-3

"Polyurethane is widely used, with its two major applications, soft furnishings and insulation, having low thermal inertia, and hence enhanced flammability. In addition to their flammability, polyurethanes form carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide and other toxic products on decomposition and combustion."

I don't want to hijack the thread with this so it's the last time I'll mention it, but people need to understand that using a hot wire with PU foam is far from "perfectly safe". So with that said, please carry on and be careful.

MrBrown
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by MrBrown »

Its important to all of us. According to this article, PU emmits HC only at T about 600 degree. In my case hot wire only 250C and no smoke is commig out. But anyway you are right, ventilation is must have thing.

MrBrown
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by MrBrown »

Small update.
I've been thinking about skin and i tried one method.
This is a test...
I applied silicone sealant for bath etc. on top of the foam and i can tell you that it can be posible to make skin with it.
It does feels like a skin when its powdered. Not so soft but ok. To add some color i mixed it up with acrylyc paint. Works good.

Image Image Image

dtm1234
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dtm1234 »

Hey Mr Brown. Thanks for this interesting approach to homemade dolls. For the first time I feel like here is a method that i can use to make my own doll. I've even found some software that might streamline the process for me even further.

I had some questions that you may be able answer.

1, is the foam posable or would it be likely to tear? If it is likely to tear would the silicone skin layer help prevent that or would a different material be better suited.

2, I can't imagine the breasts would move realistically if they are just foam. If they were hollowed breasts what kind of weighted object/material would be used to help the breasts move more naturally.

Thanks for your help and I'll share my progress with the board as things develop.

dtm1234
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dtm1234 »

So now that I am back off holiday and can get to my computer I can tell you what programs I found.

1, to make the model I used Virt-a-mate by meshedvr. It has a button hidden away in the options to export the model as an obj file. And the range of customisation was fantastic.

2, I exported the obj file into slicer for fusion 360 by auto desk. I set the material size to a3 paper for printing and the material thickness to 0. 5 inches. The program automatically sliced the model into jigsaw pieces for me to put together. Totals to 82 a3 pages.

When I get a chance and the materials needed I will begin constructing my beauty!

r363b
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by r363b »

Very creative process. Look forward to see complete doll.

INFORMATIONS