Starpery.com

Hand mod, proof of concept, am I wasting my time?

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Hand mod, proof of concept, am I wasting my time?

Post by Tyr »

That is looking really good! I was thinking that heat shrink sleeve may work to hold the tubes onto the wire.
Thanks for the files. It took a bit of juggling, but I think I've got 'em.
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

eeniemeenie

Post by eeniemeenie »

I wonder if you could use magnets to keep the bones together. Also might provide a method for gripping.
eenie
Visit Terri at the Doll Album
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/thumbnails.php?album=4975

djcdoll
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by djcdoll »

MannequinFan wrote:Alright, here's my finished palm plate prototype for the 14 GA wire with tube phalanges.
I thought I may as well finish this idea while I was thinking about it.
It actually worked a little better than I thought it would. At first I thought the wire would be too stiff, but with the tubes added the fingers bend quite nice.

During the installation process, each finished finger bone can be super glued to the plate after they are inserted in the fingers and the thumb tube can be snapped in place.

The cover is screwed on with a generous amount of epoxy to make it all solid.
For the fingertip I might want to strip the insulation so it bends a little easier and glue on a printed tip with a rounded end instead of a brass tube.

Download the files to your computer, change .pdf to .zip and extract.
Hi MannequinFan,
As I don't have a 3D printer I was wondering whether your 3D print files could be used with one of the online 3D printing services to get the palm plates printed?
I wanted to ask you first of all to make sure that you would happy if members did that as the files are your property.

Also has anybody else tried using an online 3D printing service?
I'm in the UK so would be looking at a UK based one, any recomendations?
Anybody else got any thoughts on this idea?

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hi Djcdoll, you are welcome to use the files however you want.
Just keep in mind this is completely untested, so I can't make any guarantees.
If it works for you or anyone else, just a little credit might be nice. That's all I ask.

The .stl files should work with any printing service, but get ready to get your wallet out.
I'm hoping that someone with a printer, maybe Tyr, can give it a try first to see how it works.

Tyr, if you have any problems with the files, let me know.
The Rhino file is in inches so if you work in mm you'll need to convert the units.
I can re-post in mm if you need it. The .stl files are in the standard mm units.

A few notes...
The screws are #6-32 x 3/8" pan head machine screws.
Make sure you print the parts in the following orientation to get the best quality and strength.
I used 0.15mm layer height and solid fill. ABS works the best, but if you can't do that I would use something like PLA+ which is more resilient.
palm plate printing.jpg
palm plate printing.jpg (395.26 KiB) Viewed 1409 times

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Hi Mf, The .stl files loaded into my slicer perfectly, but a different story with F360. I eventually managed to convert it into a part but had to scale it down. (x 0.03937) 1/25.4 (had to start somewhere right?)
palm plate f360.jpg
palm plate f360.jpg (140.57 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
but looking at the part in Cura I'm pretty certain that the dims are wrong.
palm plate f360 raw.jpg
palm plate f360 raw.jpg (242 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
Here's what I got with the raw .Stl data, the distance between points 1 & 2 is 317.5mm so there's something wrong there. If you could give me a hard dimension, I could get the scaling factor right.
I may have a go at printing it out tomorrow. although my printer may struggle with the offset from the build plate. I was going to make mine in 2 pieces to take the load off of the printer.
Tyr palm plate pt 1.jpg
Tyr palm plate pt 1.jpg (103.34 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
Tyr palm plate pt 2.jpg
Tyr palm plate pt 2.jpg (105.52 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
Bonded with cyano, they will not come apart. Waiting for some hardware before pressing on.

Tyr
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hehe, that would be one gigantic hand!
The width (points 1-2) should be 31.75mm (1-1/4").
Both parts take only 12 grams and less than 2 hours on my printer.
The load shouldn't be too bad. :wink:

I was hoping the Rhino file would work for you.
Was it just the unit issue or something else? I can post STEP or IGES also.
Here's a .stp file in mm.
Change .pdf to .zip and extract.
palm plate-STEP.pdf

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Ok, then a scale factor of 0.1 should see it off, F360 brought it in at 10 times full size. should be no problem now.
I'll give the step file a go too, tomorrow.

Grubhed
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Grubhed »

Hopefully I won't need to make such a repair, but thank you so very much for the R&D. I would certainly try this approach.
Missy JY150 link
Nomi SM150
Lana JY140

algaeholics
Former Member

Post by algaeholics »

Hi Guys - I post on UKLDF, but having just invested in a 3D printer myself I'd like to thank everyone for bringing this into an open forum.

Rather like the Ex-Lites - that I believe have a 'natural fixed hand position', I was thinking of replacing a hand plate and fingers as one separate unit with a TPU print.

TPU is both flexible AND shape-able. Now whilst the hand will not be able to hold any particular pose 'realtime', it will still be able to hold a manufactured pose.

In addition, or as an alternative, to this, if the TPU palm could be printed as a sleeve to go around an existing hand plate, it MAY be possible to make it a sliding sleeve. Fix some fishing line and pulleys to the fingers and you have a hand that can grasp, based on the position of the sleeve on the hand plate.

I'm just throwing out ideas here... :idea: I'm still getting to grips with 3D printing, but would value any input. :)

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

Hey algaeholics

Welcome to TDF! Sure other joint members will have made you aware but just in case, here's our New Member Welcome Page. Good to see you here :)

Regards,
Mavi

algaeholics
Former Member

Post by algaeholics »

Maviarab wrote:Hey algaeholics

Welcome to TDF! Sure other joint members will have made you aware but just in case, here's our New Member Welcome Page. Good to see you here :)

Regards,
Mavi
Cheers Mavi. Nearly two years late but thanks anyways. :fadein:

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

algaeholics wrote:
Maviarab wrote:Hey algaeholics

Regards,
Mavi
Cheers Mavi. Nearly two years late but thanks anyways. :fadein:
Now you see this...is the perfect example...of reading things properly, and not reading things at all when you are far too tired to be reading things....I think.... :whistle: :roll:

Tsall
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by Tsall »

Just as an info. The test of MannequinFan's first prototype can be seen here: We can rebuild her. New MF hand plates and wires.
Mara (Dreamdoll Tania) - holiday trip (outdoor photos) and introduction
Lucia (Passiondolls 160cm Muscle Doll) - introduction and photos
Keira (Phicen Arhian Pirate) - outdoor adventures

VegasBill
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by VegasBill »

MannequinFan wrote:Hi Djcdoll, you are welcome to use the files however you want.
Just keep in mind this is completely untested, so I can't make any guarantees.
If it works for you or anyone else, just a little credit might be nice. That's all I ask.

The .stl files should work with any printing service, but get ready to get your wallet out.
I'm hoping that someone with a printer, maybe Tyr, can give it a try first to see how it works.

Tyr, if you have any problems with the files, let me know.
The Rhino file is in inches so if you work in mm you'll need to convert the units.
I can re-post in mm if you need it. The .stl files are in the standard mm units.

A few notes...
The screws are #6-32 x 3/8" pan head machine screws.
Make sure you print the parts in the following orientation to get the best quality and strength.
I used 0.15mm layer height and solid fill. ABS works the best, but if you can't do that I would use something like PLA+ which is more resilient.
palm plate printing.jpg

Hi there MF

Lettie (and myself) are loving the eyes you made for her a while back, thank you :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

She's holding up pretty well ... apart from her fingers, like many others on here...

Q - Will you hand (palm plate) and fingers fix be available to buy any time soon or is it still in the Mix ??

Regards, VB
Love the site and our community and our stories, we're living the dream! My lovely lady, Lettie (Colette), joined me in March 2016. I wouldn't be without her now, see her photos at : http://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=70454

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

VegasBill wrote:Q - Will you hand (palm plate) and fingers fix be available to buy any time soon or is it still in the Mix ??
Hey Bill thanks!
Panther and I are working on the palm plate now. I think we are getting closer to a solution.
As Tsall mentioned, Panther's thread is here if you want to follow along with the progress...
https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 6&t=110832

This is how it's looking so far. Right now I'm trying to find a way to make the finger wires replaceable.
I think it might work if I can drill a 1/8" hole through a 5/32" tube. :)
I think I can print a drilling jig to help with that - we shall see.
Adding the steel eye bolt should solve the strength issues we had with the first prototype.
Attachments
IMG_4643.JPG
IMG_4643.JPG (358.23 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

INFORMATIONS