Starpery.com

Hand mod, proof of concept, am I wasting my time?

Got an idea? Need an invention?
VegasBill
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Hand mod, proof of concept, am I wasting my time?

Post by VegasBill »

Thanks MF.. looking good, keep going! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

kklouzal

Post by kklouzal »

I'm so sorry to hear about the hands on your doll, it's unfortunate they're in such a state that it's making you think about surgery!

I really like your design for the fully articulated fingers and I personally can't come up with any improvements other than ditching the nuts/bolts for something like a 'loose rivet'.

Before putting your doll under and performing surgery you might see if anyone is willing to donate a cadaver :P (well maybe not a full body but there is an off chance someone is about to put one to rest and would be willing to save the hands for you) I've read another post about someone looking for head donations to experiment and I believe they were able to obtain two! At least you would be able to practice and perfect your design/technique before trying it on the real deal.

Good luck and i'll be following your progress!

Deadman 9000

Post by Deadman 9000 »

you're not wasting you time but check out the threads were the brass reaced with the TPE creating a green thing that eat away the TPE
Personally i would make the hands in a very very soft wood or make a articulated hand with a slight foam layer and then a thin aluminum sheet and then a silicone layer.
Basically like this https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88777 ... RZKylDJTtw

the aluminum plates would make maintenance easier and of course, could be used as heat sink to heat up the doll i posted my concepts in wooden doll thread i made.
i made a test version of the shoulder, it work without issues in life size.
the doll would be 6ft2 (i love tall women) and the chest and ass could be swapped because of the plates

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Wow, a blast from the past!
For those interested, I have these hand skeletons available now from Shapeways...
https://mfcreations3d.blogspot.com/p/th ... /149406547

The parts are 3d printed in nylon with the HP Multi Jet Fusion process.
For more information on what's required see my blog page here.

IMG_5062 (2).JPG
IMG_5062 (2).JPG (282.37 KiB) Viewed 210 times

forinanna
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by forinanna »

Tyr wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:11 pm The models have been printed with PLA, I don't have the facilities to print ABS and haven't tried PETG. The parts are so small tho' I'm worried about strength and durability.
Consider remaking the mold with hemp-filled polymer for more durability. HFP has a tensile strength ceiling of 77.8 MPa compared to PLA's 55.7 MPa.

INFORMATIONS