Starpery.com

where to find silicone to make your own doll creations?

Got an idea? Need an invention?
llamma69
Active Poster
Active Poster

where to find silicone to make your own doll creations?

Post by llamma69 »

I know about the previous article from 2005 about this but does anyone know where I might be able to buy the kind of silicone to make a doll or parts? Really a paint by numbers kind of instructions as I have NO idea how to begin other than a mold. I would just need to find out how to mix and cure it and I would be able to tweak it as needed to find the "perfect" mix so to speak.

matt gloss
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: where to find silicone to make your own doll creations?

Post by matt gloss »

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Mixing and pouring silicone is the easy part.
It's making the doll model, mold and designing the skeleton. Then 382 other little things! :lol:
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Siliconeman
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Siliconeman »

I suggest finding your local dealership which concentrates on silicones, polyurethanes and composite materials.

SmoothON is very good, but expensive. You might find better deals at local shops. They can also give you advice on how to operate with silicones.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Yes, best to buy your materials locally if you can to avoid shipping cost and fees.
Of course, you always have to weigh shipping cost against sales tax, fuel cost and your time.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

llamma69
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by llamma69 »

I'm assuming this would be like a hobby store of some sort to buy these materials from? The idea is the make the softest breasts I can that can be durable, and some other body parts.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

A general Hobby Shop probably won't have Plat silicone. Maybe a artist shop in a big city.
Feel free to PM where your nearest big city is and I can check.

Smooth-On has retailers in different cities.
BITY aka Brick in the Yard is a independent shop in TX.

Retail shops don't make the silicone, but buy it from a manufacture such as Reynolds Advanced Materials.

For soft breast you want a Shore 10 w/ Slacker. Form them over a core of silicone Gel if you are able to.

llamma69
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by llamma69 »

Dallas Ft Worth area is where I am at. I know there will be some trial and error but I will put a lot of effort to find what would be the closest to the real this as possible. It's all new to me so I'm starting at a kindergarten level lol

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Lucky You! :D

Farmers Branch, TX
https://www.reynoldsam.com/dallas/

Richardson, TX
https://www.brickintheyard.com/

BITY Youtube vids.
https://www.youtube.com/user/brickintheyard/videos

BITY has the most How To vids and they're great.
They do a lot of foam filled silicone heads which is a process you probably want to check out for making boobs.

I don't think I've ever seen a vid on making gel boob inserts. I know Abyss cast their gel cores in a silicone bag to make the process easier. Gel is gooey, sticky and has to be encapsulated in a firmer silicone.

SN162A085T
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by SN162A085T »

Yes, smooth on is expensive! I recommend going generic and use as little as possible. The frame should be very thin-walled steel tubing, then spray foam for muscle mass in the torso, then soft gel silicone around the joints. And last try to keep the skin under 3/4 inch thick. Keep in mind that's a very large task even for the most skilled effects artist. So you should anticipate some failures along the way.
Doll Enthusiast, Creator, Distrupter Since 2013. - Meet Eve:

MrsMannequinMan
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrsMannequinMan »

Another supplier of molding and casting materials : ( www.IndustrialPolymers.com) of which ive used for years and very happy. yes, BITY Mold Supply and ithers are good too. Another Supplier is ( www.BjbEnterprises.com ) as well.

INFORMATIONS