Starpery.com

Dottie's Home-made Doll Stand. No Special Tools.

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Campdaan
Ex-Member

Dottie's Home-made Doll Stand. No Special Tools.

Post by Campdaan »

I made a doll stand for Dottie a while ago. Now I have modified it and taken pictures. All the parts came off the shelf. The only holes I had to drill were for the floor flanges thru the base and at the end cap to mount the hook.

The entire stand consists of 1-inch threaded pipe nipples and fittings, all purchaced locally at The Large National Home Improvement Department Store.

I made a backrest to thrust Dottie's Ass into a more natural position. I did this with a 32 cent piece of felt stapled over some foam and a scrap of wood. The hardware for that is a 1-inch pipe hanger. I modified the 10-24 screws with turn knob type screws for convenience. I had to cut the threaded rod down a bit.

The Cost is approx. $55. The first incarnation was $29 exact. I did'nt keep exact track of the add-on.

Campdaan deleted his albums. See manekineko's post below for photos. Following image belongs to manekineko...
See manekineko's post below for images and additional instructions.

Here is the base detail. A 2X2 X 3/4 piece of plywood. The nipples between the Tee and the 45 are 4 inch. The main flange to the base is 6-inch.

Here is the top. 3-inch nipples between the 45's. The measurement from the hook to the base is 56 inches. enough for those 6 inch heels !

The result.

Any questions ?...

muffy
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by muffy »

...... Thats too cool .. 8) 8)

litlluvr
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by litlluvr »

That's a really good stand!!! Camp. Very easy to make and
doesn't cost a lot.

Take care, litlluvr & Yoshe.

lovrmakr1

Post by lovrmakr1 »

Cool...Now cover the base with faux grass,paint the pipe brown or
green and wrap realistic faux ivy around the pipe to the top and
add a few flowers here and there.
Go ahead.....make my Doll!

technoguy
Ex-Member

Post by technoguy »

campdaan...

Very nice and priced right!

My only concern, however, would be that the stresses on the square plywood base piece might crack it and then allow the doll to fall over sideways with disasterous consequences. I assume you have thoroughly stress tested it to make sure this would not happen, though.

technoguy

Campdaan
Ex-Member

Post by Campdaan »

Yes TG. It is thoroughly tested. Dottie has lived on it 24/7 for months now.

My Dad was a plywood salesman for half a century. I know Plywood's characteristics.

Thank You for your concern. Dottie appreciates it.

Keithallen
Ex-Member

Post by Keithallen »

:D Very nice Campdaan!! A good cheap doll stand :D

Elle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Elle »

Excellent Campdaan ! Look nice and strong and light too !
I will borrow some of your ideas to do one because it's a project since 3 weeks. I think the piece of plywood is a very good idea (lighter than steel i wanted to use) But need to find the strongest plywood (osb3 here in France) and maybe adding a piece of metal under the plywood before the screw's heads.
Thanks for sharing :D

Jihan & Elle
__________________ ALL DOLLS ARE WELCOME... SUBMIT YOUR DOLL TO THE MATRIX __________________ My Website
ImageImage

CJD
Ex-Member

Post by CJD »

that looks like a nice solid and effective stand!!

GSS

Post by GSS »

Camp, You never cease to amaze me bro. You are a genius. Great stand!
GSS<br /> <br />Mary's Doll album: <a href="http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/thumbnails.php?album=1522">http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/thumbnails.php?album=1522</a>

zazakell
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by zazakell »

Hi CD,

I think that's the first time I've seen Dottie in profile and standing. She VERY HOT. :twisted:

BTW, the stands not bad either. :wink:

Hey, a couple of used skate boards underneath and you could take her with you to the Mall. (uh,oh! did I mention shopping) :roll:
Honi soit qui mal y pense. (Shame on those who think evil of dolls)

Perry
Ex-Member

Post by Perry »

Very nice, CD!

Campdaan
Ex-Member

Post by Campdaan »

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the kind words. I'll make a detailed materials list and post it here soon.

The one thing I forgot was the front view, I'm so used to Dottie being hunched forward I did'nt remember to tilt her head down a little.

She is an awesome little chickie and looks hot in her new clubwear. Don't you think ?...

BelShanar
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by BelShanar »

I think as time allows this weekend, I'll be making one of these for Sophia before she arrives.

Would be a good idea for picture taking and also for a second option for storage.

Thanks for the idea Camp!

manekineko
Server Admin Emeritus
Server Admin Emeritus

Post by manekineko »

Well folks, I took campdaan's advice and made my own stand. I'm not the handiest of folks, but I am the son of a carpenter who tried very hard not to pay attention to his father's trade. Seems I didn't succeed and something of his work actually soaked in. Here is what I have:

Here is the full stand, side view. Paige finally gets to show herself off in my living room.

Here is the base. I had to guess at the length of one of the pipe nipples, namely the shortest one at the front of the base. I missed the first time, but got it on a second trip to the store. It's 2 inches, by the way. :)

Here is the top with hook. This was actually the challenging part, since I had no idea how to connect the hook to the pipes.

I followed campdaan's directions, though I had to figure out a few things on my own. I haven't done the back support yet, as you can see, but it on my list of future additions.

As I mention above, the hardest part was the hook. Every hook I found at the hardware store was for wood mounting - nothing I could find would work with standard bolt/nut sizes. To solve this problem, with a helpful suggestion from one of the staff I bought a wood hook and a 1 inch diameter oak wood dowel which fit perfectly within the pipe. After I drilled the hole in the pipe cap, I screwed the hook through the cap into the dowel. When I hung Paige I found the hook itself was the weakest link in this, not the dowel. It bent a bit, but after some fiddling seemed stable enough for hanging.

[Added info - I mention this much later in the thread, but I figured I should put this up front. I eventually abandoned the hook and dowel in favor of using part of a hook and turnbuckle solution. Get an 8" eye and hook turnbuckle and toss out the eye portion. Basically the metal turnbuckle with replace the dowel from above, fitting into the pipe. The hole in the pipe cap for the hook needs to be larger, so you'll need a larger diameter drill bit to make this happen. Otherwise it's the same setup at above. The weight rating on this system is much higher so you won't encounter any problems.]

The total cost was about $60, not including needed tools. Because I went with galvanized pipe, it did run more expensive than was possible. Black iron pipe is cheaper, but the store didn't have all the pieces needed for this and I decided to be consistent.

Here is my inventory list by section. All pipe is 1 inch.

Top Hook:
2 x 45 degree connector
2 x 3 inch pipe nipple
1 x pipe cap
1 x #4x3-7/8 screw hook (you might want to go a bit thicker than this)
1 x 1 inch by 36 inch oak dowel (cut down 5 inches)

Base:
1 x 2x2 ft 3/4 inch MDF board
2 x 45 degree connector
1 x T connector
2 x 4 inch pipe nipple
1 x 6 inch pipe nipple
1 x 2 inch pipe nipple
2 x floor flange
8 x 1/4-20 1-1/2 inch Hex tap bolts
8 x 1/4-20 hex nuts
16 x 1/4 flat washers

Vertical pipe:
1 x 30 inch pipe
1 x coupling
1 x 12 inch pipe

I used a 1/4 inch drill bit for drilling a starter hole in the dowel, for the pipe cap, and the holes in the base board. If you go with a bigger hook, you will want to increase the size accordingly for cap and dowel.

So there you go. It is indeed possible for a near complete novice to do this. Good luck!
Paige and Monica: Album and Blog

INFORMATIONS