Starpery.com

My Afinia 3d printer has arrived!

Got an idea? Need an invention?
rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Re: My Afinia 3d printer has arrived!

Post by rubherkitty »

I'll ck into Rhino too.
The less complicated a program is, the better for me.

Thanks
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

rubherkitty wrote:I'll ck into Rhino too.
The less complicated a program is, the better for me.

Thanks
YW RK, let me know if you decide to try it out.

Well, today I decided to make myself a late Christmas present and pull the trigger on a new printer to ring in the new year! Image
https://www.octave.com/3d-printers/tier ... inter.html

I resisted to the last minute, but I just couldn't pass up on the $1,349 sale price which is less than what I paid for my little one 4 years ago.
With a 10" x 8" x 8" print volume I will be able to bring this Abby project forward much more easily.
A second printer will also allow me to increase production on my eyes and other things I make.

2018 should be an exciting year with lots of fun projects so stay tuned!
I will be selling my 2 mannequins (Audio Eva and Fiona) to help with the printer cost and so I can devote more effort on the half size BJD projects.

I want to wish a very happy New Year to all my friends here on TDF and thanks so much for all the support through the years (almost 68K views, wooohooo! :D )

:glou: :glou: :glou: :glou:

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Happy new year and happy new printer too.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Hey, great news on the new printer!

Happy New Year to all as well! :glou:
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Thanks guys! Hope y'all had a great holiday!
Looks like this beast will just fit in my 2'x4' print closet.
Here's my print station as is...
IMG_4418.JPG
IMG_4418.JPG (587.95 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
Photoshopped visual next to my little H479.
I may have to remove the hanger rod so the top door can fully open...
IMG_4418 BOX.JPG
IMG_4418 BOX.JPG (568.49 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
The printer is 20.5" deep and my countertop is 20" deep.
Lukily the back of the printer can be right up against the wall so it should just fit. :)

SFembot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by SFembot »

I need to organize my workshop too.... :)

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

It's here!Image
IMG_4420.JPG
IMG_4420.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2737 times

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by rubherkitty »

Now how are you going to 3D print a knife to open the box when your printers inside the box? :shakefist:

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

rubherkitty wrote:Now how are you going to 3D print a knife to open the box when your printers inside the box? :shakefist:
Yes, that seems to be quite the conundrum RK.
The other problem is I need to find someone without legs to help me get this out of the box...
IMG_4422.JPG
IMG_4422.JPG (481.33 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
:lol:

Lol, I'll need to clean and reorganize the print station so it will probably be a few days before I can get it unpacked and set up.
I'd really like to do a good video unboxing and review since there are so few new reviews out there on this machine.

BTW, got some nice knee joints worked out for a thick legged Abby, so some new legs will be directed towards the printer when I get it set up.
Abby riding pose.gif
Abby riding pose.gif (2.29 MiB) Viewed 2713 times

Dollmoon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Dollmoon »

Great looking Doll! :D

Been away for awhile, too much Work :oops: :cry: Glad to see you still at Abby. I finally buckled down and bought one of those CR-10 printers I seen everywhere. Wouldn't mind starting that Barbie attachment. Not really interested in buying a My Size Barbie, thought I try using that MakeHuman software and Blender. Will see

Thanks

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Dollmoon wrote:Great looking Doll! :D

Been away for awhile, too much Work :oops: :cry: Glad to see you still at Abby. I finally buckled down and bought one of those CR-10 printers I seen everywhere. Wouldn't mind starting that Barbie attachment. Not really interested in buying a My Size Barbie, thought I try using that MakeHuman software and Blender. Will see

Thanks
Thanks DM, welcome back!
You might want to check out the Manuel Bastioni Lab - it's a free add-on that works right in Blender.
Just released version 1.61 today!
https://youtu.be/O_qumtAyDJE

Dollmoon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Dollmoon »

Thankyou! I'll check out Manuel Bastioni Lab :) When I put in you Barbie attachments into Blender and lined them up with a modelsheet, I thought I could roughly mock up the body and head around those parts. For a quick prototype. 300 x 300 x 400mm on the CR-10 looks like it is enough to print the pelvis/hips and is printing now.

P.S. Can I upload pictures of my prints and start a new topic?

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Dollmoon wrote:Thankyou! I'll check out Manuel Bastioni Lab :) When I put in you Barbie attachments into Blender and lined them up with a modelsheet, I thought I could roughly mock up the body and head around those parts. For a quick prototype. 300 x 300 x 400mm on the CR-10 looks like it is enough to print the pelvis/hips and is printing now.

P.S. Can I upload pictures of my prints and start a new topic?
YW Dollmoon.
Sure, feel free to start your own thread if you like. I'll be interested to see what you come up with! :)

Dollmoon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Dollmoon »

Thanks! I think the print came out okay. I must of squashed them somehow, they are not a perfect circle. Well it's a learning curve, I guess.

It is pretty amazing to watch the doll come to life :D Manuel Bastioni Lab looks like it is part of official Blender :)

I think I'll try reprinting in a skin color PLA, if I can find deals, I think I'll need 4-5 rolls, not sure.

Here is the prints, it is a test to see if I can upload pics to the forum.
Attachments
doll-parts.jpg
doll-parts.jpg (78.1 KiB) Viewed 2518 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hey Dollmoon prints look pretty good. Good luck and hope to see what you can come up with!

Well, finally got the new printer set up and ready... :drinking:
IMG_4456.JPG
IMG_4456.JPG (778.41 KiB) Viewed 2473 times
I guess I should call them Fat Man and Little Boy, lol. :P
Just fit as expected and I did have to remove the hanger rod for the top lid to open.
The spool holder is on the right side so it works out pretty well, although space is getting pretty tight.

There was an issue with it when I first started setting it up - turned out to be a simple problem but a bit hard to diagnose.
The UP BOX lettering on the print bed is supposed to light up and pulse orange when the printer is turned on but nothing happened when switched on, so I assumed there was a problem with either the power brick or the printer. The power brick has no LED light to show it's working so it was hard to know where the problem was. Octave Systems was very responsive and sent me out a new power brick very quickly but there was still no life visible when switched on. :(

After examining it for while, I noticed when the top lid was open there was a faint blinking red light reflecting off the back panel, so apparently it was getting power but not to the print bed, so back to tech support. As it turned out, a ribbon cable had come unplugged at the print bed so it was a simple fix.
I have to give the guys at https://www.octave.com/ big kudos for all their help and prompt responses, so thus far I can highly recommend them if you're looking for a printer.

INFORMATIONS