Starpery.com

3d printed eyes with quick change lenses

Got an idea? Need an invention?
MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Re: 3d printed eyes with quick change lenses

Post by MannequinFan »

The work you did with the liner is quite good. You should start a salon for the farm women in your area, lol.
I'm wondering if you could just make some fine lower lash lines with an ultra fine tip sharpie?

I'll need to follow your example when I do Fiona's eye makeup. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Thanks
The look isn't for everyone I'm sure.

If I wanted to spend the time, and I may someday, I would grip the eyelash tips w/ tweezers and cut the backing piece off and apply each hair cluster individually w/ glue. If a person had a super fine marker that would finish the hair out to a fine hair tip that would be OK I think. I don't have any marking tools that fine. An art shop might.
Attachments
Just don't get too paint happy MF!!
Just don't get too paint happy MF!!
goth FAIL.jpg (6.86 KiB) Viewed 4299 times
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

mrdudeguyman
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by mrdudeguyman »

DominoAmore wrote:Wow! This is amazing
Indeed!

Fiberglass guy

Post by Fiberglass guy »

While messing with an old head off a PE mannequin(it's actually a vinyl head) I realized I could replace a standard MQ eye with one of these iris's by simply drilling out the MQ's pupil a bit! If I use a specialty bit I should be able to make a shallow depression in the eye without breaking thru and be able to just add these plastic iris's with a glasscoat and have a better looking eye without having to do a lot of work! Seems easy enough in theory but I have no eyes to try it on, A "forstner" type bit would be used for the best possible hole but a standard bit would do the job as well! If anyone tries this before me post a picture..The vinly heads eyes were easy to switch and I may add magnets to this head in the near future.

Fiberglass guy

Post by Fiberglass guy »

And that looks awesome BTW and they make individual lashes that work GREAT for the lower lashes! Well they are actually clusters of three lashes meant to be added to ones real lashes available in most stores makeup isles..

Fiberglass guy

Post by Fiberglass guy »

Here are Mannequin Fans eyes and moveable unit installed in a modified MQ head I have for experimenting, it's all fiberglass and bondo reworking and has a tongue and teeth as well but they are not installed in this picture, these eyes are permanent and irisi's cannot be switched, but I have another pair which can be. I may use this head on a future MQ if I can find a way to make a universal adapter so I can swap heads but have a realistic appearance..
DSCF8516.JPG
DSCF8516.JPG (74.42 KiB) Viewed 4286 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hey FG thanks for sharing!
Are you planning on having an insert for that?

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

OK back to this ongoing project...
I had a successful outcome on the inkjet printed iris!
I loaded up a new ink cartridge and printed this cat eye on 6x4 glossy photo paper. A 600 dpi image worked great for getting the detail.
A small drop of super glue did the trick and some sharp scissors turned out to be the easiest way to trim them off around the lens.
Due to my poor eyesight I had a little trouble getting it centered so I'll need to print a little jig to make that easier.
32mm cat eye.JPG
32mm cat eye.JPG (421.8 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
These are 32mm half round eyeballs with a hollowed out back that should work for the WM dolls and any doll using the 32mm hollow plastic eyes.
All the edges are rounded off to reduce the possibility of damage to delicate eye openings.
32mm cat eye2.JPG
32mm cat eye2.JPG (463.45 KiB) Viewed 4179 times

Jimjam

Post by Jimjam »

Cool idea for eyes....you should definately sell those. Plus RK, nice work on that head. As for the eyes being slightly out of kilter, it just adds character. Human faces are never symmetrical, great work all!

Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Lemminkainen »

Nerf dart for the win! Thank you for that tip, Walmart here I come.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Looks great!
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

timetraveler1
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by timetraveler1 »

great idea and product , this could very easily be the wave of the future in doll eyes and actually to bring cost down . two thumbs up !! :D

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

timetraveler1 wrote:great idea and product , this could very easily be the wave of the future in doll eyes and actually to bring cost down . two thumbs up !! :D
Hey thanks TT!
If it weren't for your contact lens thread I probably would never have thought of it.
Keep on posting those ideas and thanks for sharing the creative spark my friend.

MF
:)

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

It's been a while since I've worked on this project, so here's a little update.

I've been trying to find a place to get some clear lenses for the custom iris designs and in the process ran across these glass cabochons.
http://www.sunandmooncraftkits.com/clea ... chons.html
They are almost exactly the same size (12mm) as the plastic ones I've been using - just slightly thicker.

These are really nice quality and very consistent in size. The side edges are a bit more rounded than the plastic ones...
IMG_3732.JPG
IMG_3732.JPG (220.76 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
The eyeball was also reworked to have the magnets in the eye instead of on the lens.
Here's the new design with the glass lens and green cat eye iris. The lens has a small washer affixed and 2 magnets in the eyeball.
The washer should be centered but I slipped a little gluing it on, lol. It still works fine though.
I found the easiest way to remove the lens from the eye is to simply use a piece of scotch tape, press it on the lens and pull.
With 2 magnets the suction cup dart wouldn't work at all, so it led me to this solution which works much better. A strong magnet will also work to pull the lens out.
IMG_3735-2.JPG
IMG_3735-2.JPG (840.07 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
Here's a printed case designed to hold the 2 eyeballs and 4 sets of lenses.
Case Design4.jpg
Case Design4.jpg (508.06 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
I just need to get 3 more iris designs/colors made to complete the package. Probably blue, brown and how about a wild orange color?
Cat Eyes - orange.jpg
Cat Eyes - orange.jpg (68.01 KiB) Viewed 3802 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Here are a few additional cat eye colors that turned out fairly well.
It really helps to have a little face area around them to visualize how they will look.
These are 29mm eyeballs with the glass lenses...
Attachments
Salmon
Salmon
IMG_3745.JPG (147.94 KiB) Viewed 3782 times
Siamese Blue
Siamese Blue
IMG_3744.JPG (148.9 KiB) Viewed 3782 times
Cherry Red
Cherry Red
IMG_3742.JPG (150.17 KiB) Viewed 3782 times

INFORMATIONS