Re: 3d printed eyes with quick change lenses

Post by optical delusion »

you may need an assistant soon MF. :)

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

optical delusion wrote:you may need an assistant soon MF. :)
I've actually been thinking about that OD.
Someone to print lens cases and make additional lens orders would help a lot.
The lens making is not that difficult and it's not really my invention so anyone could do it.
I have jigs for everything which makes things a little easier.

optical delusion
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

id like to get my own 3d printer...but i cant quite justify getting one...need to find somethings i could do for my girls. eyes are your thing and look a bit too fiddly for me to bother with

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

optical delusion wrote:id like to get my own 3d printer...but i cant quite justify getting one...need to find somethings i could do for my girls. eyes are your thing and look a bit too fiddly for me to bother with
It would need to be someone here in the U.S. so I didn't intend that comment to mean you.
Preferably somewhere in mid west U.S. area.

optical delusion
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

no.no i didnt take it that way, id have no idea what to do.im just seeing them around everywhere these days and wouldnt mind getting one

Mishka1965
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mishka1965 »

Since I have so many doll heads now, I have started making custom eyes for them, and it's using aftermarket 13.8mm cabochons and custom painted eyeballs (airbrushed PLA and epoxy resin for smoothing) with springs to eliminate the cotton backs. I have so many ideas I'm hashing out for my own heads, that it's been quite a learning curve.

MF's eyes, however are substantially better than stock, and it goes to show if you have some 3D experience and a printer, you can create anything for your doll.

Mishka
Photographer and Doll Enthusiast
2018-2021 Photographing for JIUSHENG-DOLL,6YE,SinoDoll
2022-2023 Photographer/Reviewer for Zelex, TAYU, MRD and IronTech

Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/Mishka_1965
Instagram Page:https://www.instagram.com/_mishka1965_/

optical delusion
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

hey MF...i might be getting a ds doll in a few months and i have been looking at their eyes..which seem somewhat elaborate at first....but i would love to put some of your eyes in their for the lens change ability. they are 24mm to my understanding that sit on the ds version of a base.is there any chance that you could make the eyes so that could be glued to another half so they could be mounted into the ds heads. effectively im just after a round eye with the lens change potential as the ds mount would do the rest

cheers

got the photo from this thread

viewtopic.php?f=143&t=70940
Attachments
942.jpg
942.jpg (66.54 KiB) Viewed 3144 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hey OD,

I actually have been working on a replacement system for DS.
Member MannyCan has been helping me with this as I don't have a DS head for R&D.

The system uses a 2 piece 25mm eyeball - a little larger since there is no metal tube needed.
It seems that most of the complaint with the DS system revolves around the spring mechanism making it difficult to position the eyes precisely, so my system simply uses a dished base similar to the Easy Move eyes for TPE dolls.
DS system-full.jpg
DS system-full.jpg (177.28 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
The nice thing about the DS dolls is that the eye sockets are much more precisely made so there shouldn't be a need for a large amount of depth adjustment like with the TPE dolls.
There is another DS owner in the UK that will be trying these out. When I'm confident that everything is working as it should I'll make them available.
Here's a couple of photos from MannyCan...
Note:  Eyelids work with both DS & MF system
Note: Eyelids work with both DS & MF system
MC eye compare.jpg (194.69 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
Note:  Factory lashes still in place (not on eyelids)
Note: Factory lashes still in place (not on eyelids)
MC closed eyelid.jpg (128.77 KiB) Viewed 3122 times

optical delusion
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

ahhh. great to hear. so i have your eyes on a boy,and they look way better than the factory ones from abyss...which had both got bubbles in them. have a set on order to give back to my wm that i had to take out an put in the boy toy, and will be looking at a set of these for an, hopefully' upcoming ds around April.

which just leaves a sanhui....which i doubt you could make movable ones due to the very shallow sockets, but is it possible for you to make make more oval shaped eyes?

grimreefer24601

Post by grimreefer24601 »

Could this work for Jilly Bean without the extended pedestal? It seems close, but not quite the same.

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

rubherkitty wrote:OK, I have Aurora's head set up for some MF eyes. Hopefully she's not as spooky looking as Dominique. Unfortunately when the flat eyes were cut out the RH eye seemed to open up a bit more than the LH side. Could have been a small slice w/ the scalpel on one corner that let it expand open a little more.
idk if you are into sculpting or not r.k. but you could always get a set of stainless steel dental tools and some of this stuff. its easy to work with can be smoothed with warm water. binds super good to stuff too even in thin applications. you could just lay a thin bead where the eyelid should be.sculpt it and smooth it then just paint to match or use your eyeliner/etc. just make sure not to have your eyeballs in when its drying! and use a set of eyeballs you don't mind getting dirty. I mean the stuff washes off easy but if its allowed to dry its basically stuck forever and a little goes a long way with this stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013 ... UTF8&psc=1

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Hey MF, I was looking at false lashes and came across these. And it made me think of your lids. Thought I'd toss the idea your way. Perhaps you could utilize the magnet system some how. Just an idea. :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078K3KFZW/re ... il_6?psc=1

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Zippy81 wrote:Hey MF, I was looking at false lashes and came across these. And it made me think of your lids. Thought I'd toss the idea your way. Perhaps you could utilize the magnet system some how. Just an idea. :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078K3KFZW/re ... il_6?psc=1
Ha! That's a clever idea! Thanks for posting Zippy.
At first I wondered how the hell that could work. Apparently there's two lashes that clamp together over one's existing eyelashes.
Although very clever, I don't think it would work very well with the eyelids as I think they would pull off too easily.
Thanks for sharing the idea though! :)

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

No problem! :D

INFORMATIONS