Starpery.com

ISO solution for lightening TPE skin color

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Dollyman25442
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

ISO solution for lightening TPE skin color

Post by Dollyman25442 »

Hmmm. So I have a head that's much darker than I want.
I've like to make it ALOT whiter.
In the past, I've used acne cream with benzyol to remove stains but I don't think that would actually lighten TPE.
Anyone have a solution that they have personally used?
I would prefer to know about a proven solution rather than a guess or conjecture.
Thanks,
D

grimreefer24601

Re: ISO solution for lightening TPE skin color

Post by grimreefer24601 »

Benzoyl Peroxide can lighten TPE. It doesn't on my fair doll, at least noticeably, but it might on a darker doll. Chemically, it should act like bleach on TPE. The only people I know for sure that have used it was to remove stains from light colored dolls.

Dollyman25442
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Dollyman25442 »

grimreefer24601 wrote:Benzoyl Peroxide can lighten TPE. It doesn't on my fair doll, at least noticeably, but it might on a darker doll. Chemically, it should act like bleach on TPE. The only people I know for sure that have used it was to remove stains from light colored dolls.
I have a whole freakin head I need to do lol.
Mebbe I just need to let it set longer. As I recall, with stains it took a few hours but to completely remove all traces of staining it took overnight.

grimreefer24601

Post by grimreefer24601 »

What works good for me is benzoyl peroxide, " acne cream", you can get it anywhere, it is safe for them and inexpensive. Get 10% benzoyl peroxide acne cream. Put a good thick layer, leave it over night and wash off in the morning. Repeat if necessary. Tar may take several treatments no matter what you use. The great thing about TPE is that if you do nothing, it will clear up on its own with time.
That is what James told me in a PM.

Indigo has a thread somewhere also talking about why not to use Benzoyl Peroxide because it can bleach your doll. That may be exactly what you're looking for. Indigo knows his chemistry. But some things are cheap and work for certain purposes.

DexterQuest
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by DexterQuest »

I had the same problem but with a body too, and I tried some bleaching methods. They either didn't do anything or they would warp the TPE and still not lighten. I used test blocks of TPE. The only thing I was able to do is use oil based paint to convert it up. Oil paint doesn't dry, it cures and it can take a month to cure after application.

Here is a painted sample. You want the thinnest coat possible or else it will shed the excess like glitter. I can twist and bend this piece and the paint doesn't crack.
Attachments
20180927_045035.jpg
20180927_045035.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 1191 times

INFORMATIONS