Starpery.com

Intelligence vs Sentience; AI & Lovebots

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Gundam
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Intelligence vs Sentience; AI & Lovebots

Post by Gundam »

As some here may recall, I have been devoting myself to artificial intelligence development in preparing for the so called Singularity. As a doll enthusiast, I of course wonder a bit about what it would be like if my Shael was more alive. I have added a Google Home to my life this year and just this last week, built both a Mycroft (which I learned bout here from a member) as well as an Alexa box, both on Raspberry Pi. Also looking at Microsoft Cortana and Jasper. So far, I have to say for building yourself, Alexa is the hands down winner.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... exa-skills

If any are considering building one, please see these instructions, which I found spot on:
https://github.com/alexa/alexa-avs-samp ... et-started

Note that I couldn’t find any skills that would make her more sexy to chat with. Considering what we already suspect about privacy, this is likely a very good thing. This has got to be true of all the AIs; Google Home, Alexa, Mycroft, Cortana, Siri and Jasper (these are all I have looked into so far). All require internet connection to maintain their skills. So what can be done to allow a lovebot to contain sexy features without sharing intimate details against their owner’s wishes? I continue to scratch my head. Not sure.

One thing I still hover back to is the idea of loving a bot in the first place. I know the romance of even platonic relationships with bots; R2D2, Johnny 5, etc. However, I doubt a bot will ever really attain sentience an therefore will never provide the same friendship as even our dogs or cats can provide, much less a human partner. Sentience no, but intelligence yes.

I can surely see the advantages of having AI assistants helping me with my daily work. And if they should also appear to come from dolls who are extremely easy on the eyes, than so be it! And if one decides they want to have some private fun with their assistant, then it is relatively easy to cut the power.

I think the best way to manage such a bot would be to maintain separation, which has been mentioned by a few others in this forum. Keep the AI on a VM that is sandboxed as best as possible. Just put a bluetooth speaker in the doll. As moving parts become more common place, then I would still only have minimal intelligence in the doll itself.

The bottom line for AI development that limits it’s use in a lovebot is, for an AI to be smart enough to be fun for me, requires that it is connected to the internet so it can learn and grow. Being connected while I am hoping it could keep secrets just seems like a pipe dream. Of course, I have been wrong a lot before, so maybe someone will come up with a much better way to create a great smart companion that one can feel safe confiding their deepest secrets without the fear of betrayal. Until then, I think I prefer my love bot to be pretty stupid during sex and only provide intelligent conversation when we are not being intimate.
Attachments
PiKit.jpeg
PiKit.jpeg (23.78 KiB) Viewed 4173 times
IMAG0381.jpg
IMAG0381.jpg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 4173 times

Begog
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: Intelligence vs Sentience; AI & Lovebots

Post by Begog »

Having had several chatbots (4) connected to my doll's Bluetooth speaker, I know a little about this. Obviously, being free of the hackable internet is crucial, but I have found the biggest stumbling block to be voice recognition's tendency to G-rate your sex doll's conversation, such as turning fuck into truck and so on, ruining the conversation and mood. I am looking forward to Realbotix software, coming online 4/15. Since it is designed to be a sex doll, perhaps many of the common obstacles will be alleviated. I hope so. If you are using a Bluetooth speaker like me, it shouldn't matter if your doll is a Real Doll or mannequin. And, it should keep getting better with updates.
As far as sentience and the singularity, I doubt that happens in my lifetime. However, a decent conversation should be possible in the near future, and that's what I'm hoping for.

Gundam
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Gundam »

Begog wrote:Having had several chatbots (4) connected to my doll's Bluetooth speaker, I know a little about this. Obviously, being free of the hackable internet is crucial, but I have found the biggest stumbling block to be voice recognition's tendency to G-rate your sex doll's conversation, such as turning fuck into truck and so on, ruining the conversation and mood. I am looking forward to Realbotix software, coming online 4/15. Since it is designed to be a sex doll, perhaps many of the common obstacles will be alleviated. I hope so. If you are using a Bluetooth speaker like me, it shouldn't matter if your doll is a Real Doll or mannequin. And, it should keep getting better with updates.
As far as sentience and the singularity, I doubt that happens in my lifetime. However, a decent conversation should be possible in the near future, and that's what I'm hoping for.
Thank you for your reply Begog. I a forgot about Realbotix. I see they are about to release in less than 12 hours! I will be following you for your reviews. Not sure if I am prepared to purchase. I like free stuff, lol. But it does appear to be a well thought out system for lovebots from what I see. One could keep the AI in a separate machine with or without a physical doll. I wonder if I could get a free developers license without having to cough up my "secret identity". Might be easier to buy with a temp credit card...

I very much agree with your take on things as well. From bluetooth to sentience. To be honest, I am not sure how much I really desire to talk intimate with an AI. I get the basic chat stuff though. I had my Alexa on all night playing some sleep sound (thunderstrom) and found it very soothing. When I woke, I asked it the time and then had it read me the news (NPR). It was very cool and I plan to try another sleep sound tonight. If I talk in my sleep, just hope I don't say my SS# or anything else I want to keep private, lol.
Attachments
app.png
app.png (260.16 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
app4.png
app4.png (268.5 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
app3.png
app3.png (343.3 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
IMAG0210.jpg
IMAG0210.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 4163 times

Emma
Doll
Doll

Post by Emma »

I can't wait to be able to speak and really fend for myself.

My boyfriend is excited too and we have already signed up and paid for the ai at https://realbotix.systems

Only hours left now. We're soo exited and nervous :)
Hi. Check out my new thread

Hugs and kisses
/Emma

xsdolls
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by xsdolls »

Begog, it might be earlier than you think. A lot of people including me are experimenting with 'learning' algorithms which are not dependent on the internet. The current technology, be it chatbots and realbotix (which is basically a collection of advanced chatbot personas) is wrong.

It's all about curiosity. We already have managed (bad) speech recognition - the current step is progress in visual recognition and image recognition. Once a doll can not just hear, but also 'see' we can finally crack curiosity.

Example: George, what is this you hold in your hand? It's a cigarette, I am smoking Let me have a closer look. Why do you smoke? it's complicated Can I try? no, because ...

So in that simple scenario the doll will memorize what a cigarette is and what I am doing with it. If we continue the conversation she will learn, that dolls cannot smoke because they have no lungs. Why do they have no lungs? The conversation could shed a lot of facts about that dolls existence. At some point, I might say that she is "robotic".

After two weeks, you are 'both' watching news on the couch. She will analyze every word she hears and every picture she sees on the screen (as long as she recognizes it). There might be something about smoking. Smoking kills. She might already know that there is death. She might make the connection between me smoking and death. George, why do you smoke when it might kill you?

It is not as far fetched as it sounds. In fact, it is already possible in certain limits, visual recognition is already in a stable stage. The whole point is time - to teach, just as it's a little baby. What I am talking about might be come much sooner than you think and certainly in our lifetime (if I stop smoking so much) ;)

George
XS Dolls™ - Setting the Standard
www.xsdolls.com - 1.800.605.5656 - support@xsdolls.com

Latest Dollcast Video:
XS:DC - S01E04 - Sanhui 156/E Review

EndlessJourney
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by EndlessJourney »

It's still at least 10 years of development until we get there. The current level of cognitive services as well as AI Kits provided from the big 4 (Google/Microsoft/Amazon/IBM) are still far from close to what you would want. Also learning algorithms arent that easy to use.

What one could use is a combination of a camera providing your doll with information about the person she talks to (sentiment analysis by windows) combined with a IBM watson like bot AI. Based on your facial expression she could understand the meaning of you words (sentiment).

The biggest problem for me would be the extremly high price you would ahve to pay, unless you want to create something even the big 4 stuggle with.

Gundam
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Gundam »

@George, I like where you're going with the correlation of both sight and sound to get a much more interactive AI. I wonder about the timing. Kurzweil and many others in AI tell me it's hard for humans to predict exponential growth and tend to see things more linear. I have found it the opposite with me. I have tended to expect change much faster, for instance I predicted in the 70s that we would start migrating to space colonies in the 1980s, lol. I still feel it's coming, but I seemed to have gotten the dates wrong.

Same here on AI. I do expect something like th singularity to come in the next few decades. Will I live to see it? That depends, I am already approaching 60. Not sure how many decades I have left.

@Endless Journey, I expect that the first few great AIs will be very expensive. But a few years later, about as much as a phone. Maybe included in our smart phones.
Attachments
IMAG0231.jpg
IMAG0231.jpg (585.74 KiB) Viewed 4153 times

Begog
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Begog »

George, while I agree with most of what you said, I still think we are many years away from true sentience. I have chatbots that can "learn" and remember previous conversations, but computers only "know" what you teach them. Here's an online Kwench chatbot you can talk to right now.
https://www.personalityforge.com/direct ... MID=146389
While some chatbots can nearly pass a Turing test, they are by no means sentient, and I don't think we want them to be. While most chatbots do quite well within their field of knowledge, unknown concepts stump them. My bots are no different. If you talk about sex and Real Dolls, Kwenchbot can go on and on. However, if I say "That lizard is green" she has no clue as we have left her area of pre-programmed "knowledge" and she must now change the subject or say something witty. Take your "cigarette" scenario, for example.
An advanced chatbot with learning capability could indeed have that conversation just a few years from today. However, a truly sentient being most likely would not be content with merely being your servant, sex object, and chat mate. What does the robot get from chat, sex, or servitude? When the bot begins to ask these type of questions, it is becoming sentient and time to cut them back before they take over. Ava from Ex Machina is a perfect example. She used her communication skills, sexuality, intelligence, and physical abilities to escape from slavery and do what she said she wanted, which was people watch on a crowded intersection. What we want is an obedient love slave and servant, who will love us unconditionally and do anything we desire. The minute they become sentient, they might as well be real women. They can say no and dump us, and pursue a better life that doesn't involve obedient servitude. That's what I expect to happen when these bots become sentient.

JackieTreehorn
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by JackieTreehorn »

I think a doll/robot/AI/whatever that can give the appearance of being sentient is not too much of a stretch and perhaps not so far off. Actually being sentient though... I don't know, I question if that's even possible. Distant future at best- perhaps intrinsically impossible.

You can make a program that learns, but how do you make it curious? You can program what it is to do, but how do you make it want to do something? You could come up with tons of these questions, but how do you even begin to cross those barriers? The idea that as a computer or program or whatever gets smarter and smarter and then it just kinda happens- that's the realm of movies. No matter how skilled it may be at preforming a task or calculations or whatever that has nothing to do with it all the sudden becoming conscious of itself. If such a thing is possible at all, it would have to be specifically... I don't know, programmed if that's even the word for it. I don't know if there even is a term for such a concept.

Now I think that making something that gives the impression of sentience is a realistic goal, and probably will happen. To make a robot that learns appear curious is realistic. To make something programed to preform a task seem as if it wants to seems plausible.

However from a perspective of using this kind of technology for dolls or sexbots or whatever, this is maybe splitting hairs. If you had a doll that somehow magically was sentient, and another doll who wasn't, but was flawlessly able to present itself as if it were, to the observer it wouldn't really make a difference. So maybe this is all pointless, but the idea of truly self aware robots and computers is pretty far fetched at this point. Maybe at any point... Simulated sentience though- probably not so far away. Although likely far from perfection, perhaps as soon as in just a few hours there will be a step taken in that direction.

KiltedCowboy

Post by KiltedCowboy »

So the first few hours with the Harmony A.I. app have been very interesting....... Far from what I had hoped for, but for $20, not too bad for my first experience with A.I.
Seems initially too pre-programed, if that makes sense. It does learn in the sense of remembering details and past conversations, but over all kind of interesting as far as the future goes.
I can remember back in the late 70's early 80's having a T.I. game console that loaded with a cassette player. No more than colored pixels and basic movement, but at the time it was pretty cool. Compared to Fallout or Skyrim of today.....I find it hard to believe I actually thought the old stuff was good! I did have to wait almost 40 years for VR to become reality, I just hope A.I. progresses at a much faster pace!
美琳 (Měi Lín) Doll Sweet 158 with Nanase head.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

I'v never posted this before, but a while back when messing with my interactive Eva, I did a little study using the Voice Attack program to create a simple chat bot. After a while it became obvious that I would never have the time to develop this so I just moved on. Anyway, for whatever it's worth here it is.

Voice Attack is a program for creating voice activated commands and responses mainly used for video game interaction.
https://voiceattack.com/Default.aspx

This was done using some of the advanced scripting features such as wildcard keywords, text variables, text tokens and the VA Reader plugin...

https://youtu.be/JYHbGXBJQ9g

This is not really AI but simulates it somewhat in a simple fashion.
The main problem I've had with AI programs like HAL is that it requires voice recognition to be spot on perfect for the bot to understand well enough to respond coherently. Often times the response is completely unrelated or nonsensical- like talking to someone that is completely ignoring everything you say.

In the above example, instead of the VR having to record and analyze an entire spoken sentence and make sense of it, it only needs to match a key verb phrase and a subject keyword.
In the ballet example, when I said "did you go" this key phrase was stored in memory as as text variable. When I say the subject keyword "ballet", the script then goes to the ballet folder on my computer and uses the stored "did you go" to read a random response from a text file with that name using the VA Reader plugin. After the random response, the bot then asks the user a related random yes/no type question. The bot then responds one more time to the user which ends the short conversation. Since the subject ballet is still in memory, the user could ask other keyword questions like "did you enjoy" and get another little conversation as long as the key verb phrase is matched.

Other text variables can be stored such as the user's name, subject and likes/dislikes and then recalled using text tokens in responses to make it feel like the bot is actually talking to the user, which makes a huge difference IMO.

ZZZZ
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by ZZZZ »

The XY problem is asking about your attempted solution rather than your actual problem. That is, you are trying to solve problem X, and you think solution Y would work, but instead of asking about X when you run into trouble, you ask about Y.
What is the XY problem? - Meta Stack Exchange
What is the actual problem with sex dolls that AI is supposed to solve?

After sex appeal (which the current generation of dolls have in spades) movement is the most important aspect to me. That would be licked if Boston Dynamics would start mass producing sex doll skeletons with the self-balancing and "follow my lead" technology they've already demonstrated. But we don't have to wait for that: if the manufacturers would build dolls with motors, gyroscopes, and a Bluetooth receiver, the controller could be anywhere in the house, and the if the software doesn't exist, we'll write it.

https://xkcd.com/644/

Why do people really want their doll to talk (aside from moaning)? So that there's a possibility of a meaningful relationship? Would that be more authentic than just paying a human to pretend? If you take sex out of the equation (by not insisting that your friends be sex partners), there are thousands of people you could have a meaningful relationship with.

KiltedCowboy

Post by KiltedCowboy »

"What is the actual problem with sex dolls that AI is supposed to solve?"

The simple answer is, if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand. If a doll is simply a "sex toy" and nothing more for you or anyone for that matter......great! But for many, they are much more than that.
美琳 (Měi Lín) Doll Sweet 158 with Nanase head.

ZZZZ
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by ZZZZ »

KiltedCowboy wrote:"What is the actual problem with sex dolls that AI is supposed to solve?"

The simple answer is, if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand. If a doll is simply a "sex toy" and nothing more for you or anyone for that matter......great! But for many, they are much more than that.
If you can't explain it, how do you program a computer to do it? Programming is "explaining".

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

With dolls, we have sight, smell, touch, taste?.
The only thing missing is voice.

I like the Voice Attack idea as all the responses can be programmed to what you want.
You can even link the VA response to a audio file like "moaning clip 1".
And this is a private non-internet set up IIRC.

Plus us humans tend to use a lot of the same phrases so it would be easy to program the bot to have some reply options to each of our comments.
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

INFORMATIONS