Starpery.com

An Update on Making My Doll

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Omega_Vato
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: An Update on Making My Doll

Post by Omega_Vato »

Hi everyone. Sorry for not updating for the past few months. A LOT of things, primarily family issues (don't honestly want to get into it but let's just say money corrupts and destroys families) that has affected my regular work (even my regular job gives me stress but got to pay the bills) and this project. Well, I was debating on whether or not should I keep working on this project or just buy a BBW TPE doll from ClimaxDoll and I got to thinking, is it truly worth buying a doll despite the fact that I had put it a lot of work on sculpting for my own doll? I don't know and I am budgeting myself so I can actually finish this. I think I seriously need to do a lot of planning and reducing the cost to at least $500 to $700 or less while making sure it doesn't turn out to be an expensive mess.

I can go ahead and just do a fiberglass molding without having to do a silicone mold for casting first and then later on I can finally start casting the rubber. As for the skeleton... Probably Small PVC pipes with door hinges or like I said months ago no skeleton. I also know I need to do the head and make sure it's NOT a head of a child. I'll keep it fantasy like. Any suggestions to whether or not should I keep doing this would be appreciated and thanks a bunch!
Live and let live. Love and let love.

azurelao
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by azurelao »

Omega_Vato wrote: Any suggestions to whether or not should I keep doing this would be appreciated and thanks a bunch!
Keep up the project! If you purchased a doll from a site, you would probably get hit with a little regret that you didn't make your own, especially after having come so far. Making a custom one would also be a good way to work through stress, as well, in addition to just being a fun project. And once it's all said and done, you can still buy a doll if you feel like it!

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Keep pushing toward your dream you deserve it.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

Omega_Vato
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Omega_Vato »

THE PROJECT'S BACK ON!

So, after reading a couple of comments it's time to finish this project. I almost forgot that I have a Walmart store card and basically was an imbecile for not realizing it earlier. So, instead of buying 4 quarts (1 gallon) of Fiberglass resin, I got 2 quarts and I got three packs of fiberglass mat. I definitely would need the tooling gel coat so I can brush it on the sculpture provided that I would need mold release. If the gel coat has wax in it that would be nice.
20180216_155303.jpg
20180216_155303.jpg (956.4 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
There is one thing...

I think I am going to modify the sculpture so I can have what I want on it. The torso needs more detail and I also know I need to work on the back muscles, shoulders and neck. As for the head, since this doll is the size of the My Size Barbie, the head must look more of an adult and not a child, so I am researching what type of head that I want. I had a lame brain idea of making her of an alien, fantasy-type, or anime woman but I don't know yet. I'll keep you updated.

Omega_Vato
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Omega_Vato »

Ok. New update.....

I had been doing a lot of thinking and the doll project is not canceled but rather re-directed. I thought about what I want my doll to look like and I was conflicted of whether or not I want it small or large. So... I am scrapping the small doll for a large one AND I want it to be based on this character:

zchunny5.jpg
zchunny5.jpg (312.84 KiB) Viewed 2013 times

If you don't know who this character is then shame on you! Chun-Li from Street Fighter!

I've thought about it for a long time and now I want to make this official. Anyway, just today (April 11, 2018) I've received my new mannequin and I thought it was going to be at least 4' 5" but it turns out to be my height 5' 6" or 170cm. Here's what it looks like:
61-Rdi0nG9L._SL1024_.jpg
61-Rdi0nG9L._SL1024_.jpg (92.4 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
I do like this mannequin because it's lightweight, has a removable head, movable arms, and it cost $39.50 ($29.00 shipping and handling). Now Chun-Li is about 5' 5" or 5'6" and has thick and powerful legs. I think her hips are wide but that depends on the artist drawing her, so I might make her hips a little wider provided that I move the arms forward.

As far as clay is concern I am intending on using pottery clay because for one thing if I buy a 50-pound case of Chavant Clay it'll cost me close to $200 where you can buy pottery clay that's 50 pounds for almost $30! I am also aware that pottery clay dries out and can break. I think I will get some saran wrap and add a little moisture onto the sculpture. As for the head, I did manage to get one 2-pound block of casteline clay. Casteline clay is wax clay and I think one block will do the trick.

I still have the fiberglass mats and resin unopened. I might need to get more IF I need more and I must get the tooling gelcoat for the details.

One last thing. I wanted to make this doll lightweight, almost like teddy bear soft rather than a doll that's huge to carry. I was thinking about just using polyurethane rubber and make the skeleton out of PVC pipe so it will not only reduce the cost of materials but also is perfect to carry around without breaking your back. I want to make the doll like DS Doll's EX Lite. So, that's my update for now. Any questions or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you. :D

viktorsx

Post by viktorsx »

any development i find grows after sleeping on it . no not the doll . heh . the development of it . thanks for sharing look forward to se it develop further ...
/* Simplicity is very Complex ... */

Omega_Vato
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Omega_Vato »

viktorsx wrote:any development i find grows after sleeping on it . no not the doll . heh . the development of it . thanks for sharing look forward to se it develop further ...

I really hope to do this and I just bought 50 pounds of WED clay today for the body. However, I am a little worried about laying down the clay walls especially on the arms. The hands are on their sides and the palms are not facing out and I want to figure out how to solve this dilemma. I want to make sure the body is a two-piece mold and not multiple molds and I just cannot use a hacksaw and cut the wrists off the mannequin and then reattach them in the position I wanted.

Right now I'm getting all of my references with what I want the sculpture to look like.

Omega_Vato
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Omega_Vato »

Ok... Let's cut to the chase. Yesterday, April 21, I bought foil and duct tape and used it to wrap around the mannequin excluding the extremities so I can add on the clay. This morning, I got started with adding the clay but now I'm at a dilemma. You see, I initially thought 50 lbs of WED clay would do the trick. Turns out I might need more. Also, I started to notice the clay is coming off of the mannequin and I did add more water to it and wrapped it in foil (it's all I have I'm afraid).

Now, I am starting to think maybe I have a better chance with chavant rather than with WED. With chavant, the small sculpture did came out adequate although messy. What am I going to do??? Go back to chavant or wait until the next day and see if the WED clay was steady?

I'm going to dismantle the small sculpture and use that chavant clay for the top and I still have more of the WED clay. Probably for creating the clay wall when I start fiberglassing.

viktorsx

Post by viktorsx »

i would think getting into the zone and viscosity of material takes focus and time with patience and pauses ...

please keep us posted . thanks ...
/* Simplicity is very Complex ... */

Omega_Vato
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Omega_Vato »

NEW UPDATE: Ok, I managed to pull off modeling the frame of the doll but I kinda cheated a little LOL! For the legs, since I've added the WED clay on the body, I wrapped the body with aluminum foil and used duct and electrical tapes respectively. To add on the thickness to the legs, I crumbled the foil and when placed a sheet of foil to wrap over the thighs and legs. Then comes the interesting part, after dismantling the small doll sculpture I used the Chavant clay to cover the entire body excluding the extremities; I took a few hours one weekend to do this.

Just about an hour ago, I had to do the arms because they seem rather skinny. So I added some muscles while looking a references. Needs more work but hopefully they will look nice. Later on, I will purchase 10 pounds of hard Chavant clay to cover over as well as carve so I can add details (maybe 20 lbs would do nicely)

As for the head, I didn't want to cover the eyes, nose and mouth because I found the face to be...kissable although the chin and face cheeks were not attractive. So I used castilene clay (wax clay) and then cover most of the face with it, plus adding Chavant clay to the mix. So far I think it looks ok. Let me know what you think.
20180507_205333.jpg
20180507_205333.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 1803 times

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

Kinda blurry :?
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

Omega_Vato
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Omega_Vato »

rubherkitty wrote:Kinda blurry :?
I know. This was taken after 9 PM PST. I'll re-take that picture in the morning.

Omega_Vato
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Omega_Vato »

rubherkitty wrote:Kinda blurry :?
I've just taken the photo just about 15 minutes ago as I write this. I know I have a lot more work to do on the body.
20180508_153705.jpg
20180508_153705.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 1766 times

RainKing
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by RainKing »

Omega_Vato wrote: I've just taken the photo just about 15 minutes ago as I write this. I know I have a lot more work to do on the body.
20180508_153705.jpg
Well Omega, I do have to say you are off to a great start! how tall will she be or have you decided yet?
Looks great.
MDBG
Formerly known as SillyconeLover (it was only for a week)

Omega_Vato
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Omega_Vato »

RainKing wrote:
Omega_Vato wrote: I've just taken the photo just about 15 minutes ago as I write this. I know I have a lot more work to do on the body.
20180508_153705.jpg
Well Omega, I do have to say you are off to a great start! how tall will she be or have you decided yet?
Looks great.

Thanks for that and pretty much my height, 5'6". I will probably buy more Chavant clay and then do some carving to flesh out the body.

INFORMATIONS